    completely get away from it. Any suggestions on a good method for this?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Apr 13, 2005

  2. How about putting the business logic in the compiled code behind ? Or better
    in a library called by code behind or aspx ?

    then you can use one of several JIT obfuscator to make reverse engeneering
    harder.

    The whole point of aspx is that it is compiled "at first call".

    Michel de Becdelièvre, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Hi Brett,

    If the logic is in the codebehind, you can obfuscate it with a tool like
    this:

    http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Obfuscator/Intro/Overview.html

    I'm not aware of a tool that does the same for logic that is in .aspx files.
    Of course if you can wait until the .NET 2.0 beta....

    Ken

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Apr 13, 2005
  4. Brett

    Brett Guest

    I'm new to ASP.NET. What are the file extensions that the compiled code
    behind is stored in? Are you referring to ASP.NET or VB.NET code when you
    say compiled?

    When you say library, are you referring to say a VB.NET DLL that the aspx
    pages create an object for?

    Can you elaborate on this a little more: "then you can use one of several
    JIT obfuscator to make reverse engeneering harder." Would this have any
    performance hit?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Thanks. That's pretty neat. Have you used that program?

    What will .NET 2.0 offer in this way? Also, when will it be released?

    It will probably be a while until I will upgrade to .NET 2.0 since the first
    version will probably be a little rough around the edges.

    Brett

    Brett, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Brett

    Brett Guest

    I see what the obfuscators do now:
    http://www.devdirect.com/ALL/OBFUSCATIORS_PCAT_2014.aspx. Do you have a
    preference for one? Possibly free?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Apr 13, 2005
  7. Hi Brett,

    Check the details here on compilation in ASP.NET 2.0:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/w...us/dnvs05/html/internals.asp#internals_topic3

    As for the release, my guess is late fall for the final release. I'm
    guessing September 25th for the beta 2 which should include a "Go Live"
    option.

    Ken
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Apr 13, 2005
  8. re:
    >I'm guessing September 25th for the beta 2

    That seems rather far away...

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 13, 2005
  9. Oops. I meant April 25th. <grin>

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Apr 13, 2005
  10. Oops. I mean to guess April 25th for beta 2. My guess for the final release
    is late fall.

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Apr 13, 2005
  11. In ASP.NET 2.0 you'll be able to compile your ASPX files directly into the
    DLL, so that should solve your problem.
    It's rumored beta 2 will will be out later this month.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Apr 13, 2005
  12. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Will it be worth it to upgrade to 2.0 beta? I think it is risky but there
    isn't any other way to compile the aspx files into DLLs.

    Will I need to change any code to work with 2.0 beta?

    thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Apr 13, 2005
  13. The code should work with the 2.0 beta given that backwards compatibility
    was a priority.

    The problem is that you'll need to have the beta on the server and then
    upgrade/rebuild for the release. I'd wait a few more days to check on the
    stability of the 2.0 beta.

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Apr 13, 2005
  14. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Will people running my ASP.NET app also need 2.0? That will be an issue as
    most will want to stay with a more stable 1.1.

    Brett

    Brett, Apr 13, 2005
  15. No. They'll only need a browser.
    ( If you're talking about web applications... )

    For Windows apps, they'd need the 2.0 framework, too.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 13, 2005
  16. Brett

    Brett Guest

    I'm referring to some one installing the ASP.NET app on their Win Server.
    If I developed it in 2.0, seems as though they would need 2.0 to run it
    correct?

    Brett, Apr 13, 2005
  17. In that case, yes, they'll need to have the 2.0 Framework installed.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 13, 2005
  18. The Web server will need to run the same build of 2.0 that you compiled
    with. That's where things get messy since it will be a beta and some people
    shy away from installing betas.

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Apr 13, 2005
  19. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Where exactly is the download link for the program below?

    Brett, Apr 14, 2005
  20. Never used one so far. So I have no opinion.

    %...

    Michel de Becdelièvre, Apr 14, 2005