    Sorry to bug you with my petty questions!

    Best,
    Andrew

    Andrew, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Andrew

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:13:48 GMT, "Andrew" <>
    declared in alt.html:
    > So, new question: I would like to create a css sheet to have a left menu
    > with basic text/links. I have done this. However, I'd like to have the
    > menu follow down the page as the user reads the main stuff (so that it's
    > fixed as the user scrolls). Is there a nice solid way to do this?

    position: fixed;

    But it isn't supported by IE. There are Javascript workarounds, but none
    are particularly nice, IMHO.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Andrew

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:wcqNb.15152$>
    "Andrew" <> said:

    > So, new question: I would like to create a css sheet to have a left menu
    > with basic text/links. I have done this. However, I'd like to have the
    > menu follow down the page as the user reads the main stuff (so that it's
    > fixed as the user scrolls).

    http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.info/layout-thingy.html

    not supported by IE, needs position:fixed; fix:
    http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Andrew

    rf Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to brucie, Mark, Derek for answers on the frame question!
    >
    > I am looking to cascading style sheets as an option, because my content is
    > relatively simple and harder techniques would paralyze me.
    >
    > So, new question: I would like to create a css sheet to have a left menu
    > with basic text/links. I have done this. However, I'd like to have the
    > menu follow down the page as the user reads the main stuff (so that it's
    > fixed as the user scrolls). Is there a nice solid way to do this?

    No, there is not.

    You can simulate it with lots of nasty javascript but why bother? There is
    nothing wrong with the menu disappearing. Your viewers will know how to
    press the up button to bring it into view again.

    > Sorry to bug you with my petty questions!

    Not petty. We all went there once :)

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 15, 2004
  5. In article <4guNb.13380$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks to brucie, Mark, Derek for answers on the frame question!
    > >
    > > I am looking to cascading style sheets as an option, because my content is
    > > relatively simple and harder techniques would paralyze me.
    > >
    > > So, new question: I would like to create a css sheet to have a left menu
    > > with basic text/links. I have done this. However, I'd like to have the
    > > menu follow down the page as the user reads the main stuff (so that it's
    > > fixed as the user scrolls). Is there a nice solid way to do this?

    > No, there is not.
    >
    > You can simulate it with lots of nasty javascript but why bother? There is
    > nothing wrong with the menu disappearing. Your viewers will know how to
    > press the up button to bring it into view again.
    >
    > > Sorry to bug you with my petty questions!

    > Not petty. We all went there once :)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    position: fixed can do what he wants in theory but it doesn't work in
    all browsers.

    --
    | Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
    | "It's 106 light-years to Chicago, we've got a full chamber of anti-matter, |

    Andrew Glasgow, Jan 16, 2004