Can I Have Your Permission Please?

wASP

Hi,

Apparently, I have a permissions issue. I am logged in as administrator,
and my C: drive is accessible. Under the "Security" tab for Properties
for Inetpub, for my "Internet Guest Account," the "Allow" boxes
for [read & execute], [list folder contents], and [Read] are checked
- BUT they are greyed out - I cannot clear them - and nothing else
is checked.

Now that I look further, the same thing is the case for every folder
in the root that I examined.

I'm a newbie starting up with ASP.NET,
and I'm getting off to a wonderful start
- and when I tell you "wonderful" I'm being sarcastic.

My OS is Win 2000 SP4.

I've gotten IIS installed, along with the .NET framework.

I have the .NET Framework 1.1 configuration tool in Administrative tools,
along with the Wizards. I have opened the configuration tool,
but I have no idea as to what I'm looking at.

My code is about as simple as it can get:
<%@ Page Language="C#" %>

<script runat="server">
void page_load(object obj, EventArgs e)
{ lblMessage.Text = "Hello World";
}
</script>

<asp:Label id="lblMessage" runat="server"/>

... right from the book.

I put the file into my webroot directory:
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\

... and this URL into the IE6 address bar:
http://localhost/HelloWorld01.aspx

When I hit "GO" I get the following error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Server cannot access application directory 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\'.
The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.
web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error
and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server cannot access application
directory 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\'. The directory does not exist or is not accessible
because of security settings.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request.
Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using
the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server cannot access application directory
'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\'.
The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureAccessToApplicationDirectory() +72
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +263

[HttpException (0x80004005): ASP.NET Initialization Error]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +983
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +128

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032

BEFORE anyone asks, I cleaned out the cash for the browser ...

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
(for IE6)

... and it still doesn't work.

So this is going just "wonderfully". :-(

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this permissions issue?

Thanks In Advance!

- wASP

wASP

Hi again,

I've found the following kb article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316721

I did the following, as instructed by the article:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
RESOLUTION
To add read, execute, and list access for the ASPNET account
on the root Web site or on any virtual directory, follow these steps:
1. In Windows Explorer, browse to the folder that contains
the root Web site (which is C:\Inetpub\Wwwroot by default)
or the virtual directory.

2. Right-click the folder, and then click Properties.

3. On the Security tab, click Add.

4. Type ComputerName\ASPNET (for example, on a computer named Webdev,
type Webdev\ASPNET), and then click OK.

5. Allow the following permissions for the ASPNET account:
• Read & Execute
• List Folder Contents
• Read

6. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box and to save the changes.

NOTE: You do not need to perform these steps if the Everyone group or the
Users group has read access to the root Web site or virtual directory.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What happens now, when I load the address in the address bar of IE6
(http://localhost/HelloWorld01.aspx), then click on GO,
I get a box prompting me for a username, password, and domain.

This is progress - I think - but what do I do to get it to stop
prompting me for this and execute the friggin' code?

Thanks In Advance!

-wASP

[...]

William Tasso

wASP said:
What happens now, when I load the address in the address bar of IE6
(http://localhost/HelloWorld01.aspx), then click on GO,
I get a box prompting me for a username, password, and domain.

This is progress - I think - but what do I do to get it to stop
prompting me for this and execute the friggin' code?

Assuming anonymous access is acceptable ....

Right-click "My Computer" and select manage

Navigate to "Services..." ---> "IIS" ---> <your site>

Rightclick <your site> and select properties ....

Click tab: "directory permissions"

Click "edit" button

Remove any ticks (check marks) against the authentication options.

Ensure Anonymous is ticked (checked)

wASP

Assuming anonymous access is acceptable ....

Right-click "My Computer" and select manage

Navigate to "Services..." ---> "IIS" ---> <your site>

Rightclick <your site> and select properties ....

Click tab: "directory permissions"

Actually, it's "directory security" (in Win2k) - but I know what you mean.

Click "edit" button

Remove any ticks (check marks) against the authentication options.

Ensure Anonymous is ticked (checked)

THAT solved it - it's official: You're a genius!

Thank you William Tasso!

- wASP