Can I import the 1.4 regular expression library into Java 1.3

MikeyB

I am working on a project that currently uses Java 1.3 and will not be
upgrading for a while because of legacy systems.

I want to use some regular expressions. (Perl 5 compatible if
possible)
Apache is out because of a policy which does not allow the use of
opensource. :-(

I was wondering if it is possible to some how import the reg exp
library from 1.4 into my 1.3 code?

Any help or other suggestions

Thanks

Mike

Roland

I am working on a project that currently uses Java 1.3 and will not be
upgrading for a while because of legacy systems.

I want to use some regular expressions. (Perl 5 compatible if
possible)
Apache is out because of a policy which does not allow the use of
opensource. :-(

I was wondering if it is possible to some how import the reg exp
library from 1.4 into my 1.3 code?

Any help or other suggestions

Thanks

Mike
Even if it is possible to copy the (source or binary) reg-ex classes to
1.3, I think you'll run into a problem with Sun's Java license. AFAIK,
the license does not allow you to do this (but IANAL).
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Malte

MikeyB said:
I am working on a project that currently uses Java 1.3 and will not be
upgrading for a while because of legacy systems.

I want to use some regular expressions. (Perl 5 compatible if
possible)
Apache is out because of a policy which does not allow the use of
opensource. :-(

I was wondering if it is possible to some how import the reg exp
library from 1.4 into my 1.3 code?

Any help or other suggestions

Thanks

Mike
I thought Sun had a regex package you can use with JDK < 1.4?

Tilman Bohn

I am working on a project that currently uses Java 1.3 and will not be
upgrading for a while because of legacy systems.

I want to use some regular expressions. (Perl 5 compatible if
possible)
Apache is out because of a policy which does not allow the use of
opensource. :-(

What exactly is the scope of this policy (i.e., how does it define `open
source', and what aspect is it trying to keep out of your project?) If the
concern is about contagious licenses, the apache license should be just
fine. (If you need it shorter and clearer, http://jregex.sourceforge.net/
might be ok for you.) If it is about the code being open for others to
_see_, then Java should be out as well, because the source for the public
API is available (to view, not to use).

Otherwise you'll have to pay someone to re-implement this especially for
you. With at least a dozen open Regexp-packages floating around, and one
of them having found its way into the standard API, it is IMO _quite_
unlikely someone is seriously marketing a closed alternative.