Can I offer the JRE for download on my own site?

zirconx9

I am thinking about using a java based chat application on a website.
One of my concerns is that it may be difficult for computer novices to
find and download the correct JRE off the java site. They need to do
some autodetection of OS and have a huge Download Here button that
starts the download.

Anyway I was wondering if I could just put the JRE on my site and have
our users download it from there? I've been googling all over but
haven't come up with an answer or anyone else doing the same thing.

The only info I was able to find was in this page:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/runtime.html Where Sun says you can
redistribute java with your application. But that doesn't very clearly
answer my question.

As an alternative I was wondering if I could just link directly to the
jre download file on their website?

Thanks for any help.
-Ryan

TSchultz55

You could simply have a link that says something like "Get Java Now!"
and have the link that goes directly to the EXACT java.sun.com download
page such as http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp. On your page
you can instruct users which one to download, but I don't think you can
DIRECTLY put the installation file on your server for distribution (as
the user skips all of the "I Agree" legal stuff from Sun).

Thomas Weidenfeller

The only info I was able to find was in this page:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/runtime.html Where Sun says you can
redistribute java with your application. But that doesn't very clearly
answer my question.

Do you really want to take legal advice from total strangers in a
newsgroup? What if something goes wrong?

If you are in doubt, ask a lawyer or ask Sun's legal department for a
definitive answer.

/Thomas