Can I offer the JRE for download on my own site?

Discussion in 'Java' started by zirconx9@yahoo.com, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am thinking about using a java based chat application on a website.
    One of my concerns is that it may be difficult for computer novices to
    find and download the correct JRE off the java site. They need to do
    some autodetection of OS and have a huge Download Here button that
    starts the download.

    Anyway I was wondering if I could just put the JRE on my site and have
    our users download it from there? I've been googling all over but
    haven't come up with an answer or anyone else doing the same thing.

    The only info I was able to find was in this page:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/runtime.html Where Sun says you can
    redistribute java with your application. But that doesn't very clearly
    answer my question.

    As an alternative I was wondering if I could just link directly to the
    jre download file on their website?

    Thanks for any help.
    -Ryan

    , Apr 12, 2005

  2. TSchultz55 Guest

    You could simply have a link that says something like "Get Java Now!"
    and have the link that goes directly to the EXACT java.sun.com download
    page such as http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp. On your page
    you can instruct users which one to download, but I don't think you can
    DIRECTLY put the installation file on your server for distribution (as
    the user skips all of the "I Agree" legal stuff from Sun).

    TSchultz55, Apr 13, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > The only info I was able to find was in this page:
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/runtime.html Where Sun says you can
    > redistribute java with your application. But that doesn't very clearly
    > answer my question.

    Do you really want to take legal advice from total strangers in a
    newsgroup? What if something goes wrong?

    If you are in doubt, ask a lawyer or ask Sun's legal department for a
    definitive answer.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ: