Can I populate a GridView with a LinkButton?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jm, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. jm

    jm Guest

    I have a Gridview with a LinkButton. The button has text from my
    database. It is not the datakey of the database, just free form text.
    I want to populate another gridview based upon the data in my
    linkbutton (which comes from my Eval).

    If I do this as a hyperlink with querystring instead of a linkbutton,
    everythings works. My ObjectDataSource was modified to look for a
    querystring and it works.

    If I do the same thing witha LinkButton and set my ObjectDataSource to
    use a FormField, it never sees teh LinkButton's value (it is not in the
    forms collection via trace).

    I'm trying to see fundamentally what how I am supposed to design a
    form.

    I have used the stock "select" and selectedIndex to populate a grid,
    where the ods can get the selectedValue, etc. Know how to use a
    querystring and so on.

    I'm sure I can add an event to the GridView in question and populate a
    details GridView by means of coding, but again, is that the only way to
    do it? I don't want to abandon the proper way to do things because of
    my lack of knowledge.

    Thank you.

    jm, Oct 20, 2006