Can I run IE 6 on pre XP Windows?

patrick j

Hi

I think this post is on topic for alt.html, but only just really.

I am very ignorant about Windows and I have got Windows XP Professional
SP2 in a Parallels workstation on my Mac OS X so I can check out
web-pages in IE 6.

All is going very well, but now I want to have a second installation of
Windows in the Parallels workstation so that I can check out web-pages
in IE 7.

I was rather fortuitous in that I got my Windows XP for free because I
work at a university. However I can only get one copy.

I'm not hugely rich so I'm not very enthusiastic about going out and
buying a second version of Windows XP just to run IE 7.

It has occurred to me however that I could upgrade IE 6 to IE 7 in the
Windows XP I have and then buy second-hand an old version of Windows to
install and run IE 6.

Which is why I'm asking if IE 6 will run on old versions of Windows, or
does it need XP?

If it will run on old versions of Windows how far back could it go.
Would it run on Windows 98 for example?

Dylan Parry

patrick j wrote:

[IE6]
Would it run on Windows 98 for example?

It's been a while since I used it, but IIRC Windows 98 ran IE6 fine. You
can also run it on NT4 (not sure which service pack), 2000, and ME. I
don't think it can run on 95.

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

Dylan Parry

patrick said:
It's good news. Now all I have to do is buy a second-hand version of
Windows of the type listed there.

Actually, I only just noticed this bit of your original post:
| All is going very well, but now I want to have a second installation of
| Windows in the Parallels workstation so that I can check out web-pages
| in IE 7.

I thought that you didn't actually have a Windows machine at all,
otherwise my answer would have been slightly different.

You can simply download Internet Explorer as a standalone version from
this site: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone and then you
can run as many different versions as exist from one machine. Just
install IE7 as the actual browser, then unzip the IE6 you downloaded
from the above site and you can run it by running iexplore.exe from
within the unzipped archive.

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

BootNic

Dylan Parry said:
news: (e-mail address removed)
patrick j wrote: [snip]
You can simply download Internet Explorer as a standalone version from
this site: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone and then you
can run as many different versions as exist from one machine. Just
install IE7 as the actual browser, then unzip the IE6 you downloaded
from the above site and you can run it by running iexplore.exe from
within the unzipped archive.

http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

One download Multiple versions, pick which ones you want during
install.

--
BootNic Friday, November 03, 2006 11:03 AM

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant
intelligence.
*Henrik Tikkanen*

patrick j

You can simply download Internet Explorer as a standalone version from
this site: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone and then you
can run as many different versions as exist from one machine.

Hi

This is excellent information thank you.

I had done some searching using Google through the various newsgroups
dedicated to Windows and Explorer and I'd got the (obviously wrong)
impression that you could not use two versions of Explorer at once.

However this is clearly an error, so instead I'll just update my
Windows XP to IE 7 and then download the standalone IE 6 and have that
as well.

patrick j

That's very useful. I'm reading about it now. I think I will get my IE
6 updated to IE7 using the built in Microsoft route then download this
multiple versions package.

Well, reporting back I've now got the multiple IE package and it is
very useful. My main browser in Windows is now IE 7 but I also have IE
6, 5.5, 5.01, 4.01 and 3.

I think it is only 6 which "really matters" but it is very useful to
have 5.5 and 5.01.

Looking at my own web-site in them [0] is rather interesting. Of the
"pre 6" browsers 3 does the best job simply because it doesn't have any
style-sheet support at all and I think no style-sheets at all is better
than incomplete style-sheet support when looking at a web-site using a
reasonable amount of today's style-sheet facilities.

What gets me about IE 3 is those squiggly lines over the toolbar area.
Gosh, that is weird. I'm certain I've used IE 3 because it really
wasn't that long ago that it would have been the contemporary browser
and although I'm given to Macs living as I do in the real world I do
find myself using Windows quite a lot. I must have encountered those
squiggly lines in the toolbar of IE 3 before but presumably not found
them as bizarre then as I do now :)

[0] narcissistic fellow that I am

richard

patrick j said:
[...]

As I recall the order of events, IE5 came with windows 95, then IE6 came
with Windows 98se.
I know I was running IE6 on ME.

But why not install firefox? FF renders pages more correctly and has less
flaws.
I use it exclusively now.

patrick j

As I recall the order of events, IE5 came with windows 95, then IE6 came
with Windows 98se.
I know I was running IE6 on ME.

But why not install firefox? FF renders pages more correctly and has less
flaws.
I use it exclusively now.

Thanks for this. In fact I want IE 6 to check how web-pages look in it
as it is the most commonly used browser at present.

I now have IE6 and IE7 so I'm fine in that respect.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
As I recall the order of events, IE5 came with windows 95,

Oh, please.

"[Spyglass Mosaic] The browser was then modified and renamed as Internet
Explorer. Microsoft originally released Internet Explorer 1.0 in August
1995 with the Internet Jumpstart Kit in Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95."
then IE6 came with Windows 98se.

No, not yet.
I know I was running IE6 on ME.

"Version 6 was released with Windows XP in August 27, 2001."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Internet_Explorer
and
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/historyofie.mspx

Toby Inkster

richard said:
As I recall the order of events, IE5 came with windows 95, then IE6 came
with Windows 98se.
I know I was running IE6 on ME.

Windows 95 didn't come with Internet Explorer.

FWIW, IE 6 runs on any fully-32-bit of Windows, except Windows 95.

Toby Inkster

patrick said:
Looking at my own web-site in them [0] is rather interesting. Of the
"pre 6" browsers 3 does the best job simply because it doesn't have any
style-sheet support at all

Yes it does!

IE3 was the first browser to market with CSS support. However, its support
is fairly basic. It doesn't support #id selectors or @import; backgrounds
are screwy; the cascade is broken; and you can forget about floats and
positioning.

IE indeed had CSS support before the CSS1 specification was finalised,
which is partly why its support for the box model was so rubbish -- it was
based on older drafts. (It is for a similar reason that IE didn't support
the ABBR element until recently.)

Jonathan N. Little

Toby said:
Windows 95 didn't come with Internet Explorer.

Well Win95 OSR2.1 did, although MSIE 3.02! That is the version where MS
"tried" to have USB support.

patrick j

patrick said:
Looking at my own web-site in them [0] is rather interesting. Of the
"pre 6" browsers 3 does the best job simply because it doesn't have any
style-sheet support at all

Yes it does!

[...]

That is most interesting. I never knew they were ahead of the pack in
that manner.