Can I run IE 6 on pre XP Windows?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by patrick j, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    Hi

    I think this post is on topic for alt.html, but only just really.

    I am very ignorant about Windows and I have got Windows XP Professional
    SP2 in a Parallels workstation on my Mac OS X so I can check out
    web-pages in IE 6.

    All is going very well, but now I want to have a second installation of
    Windows in the Parallels workstation so that I can check out web-pages
    in IE 7.

    I was rather fortuitous in that I got my Windows XP for free because I
    work at a university. However I can only get one copy.

    I'm not hugely rich so I'm not very enthusiastic about going out and
    buying a second version of Windows XP just to run IE 7.

    It has occurred to me however that I could upgrade IE 6 to IE 7 in the
    Windows XP I have and then buy second-hand an old version of Windows to
    install and run IE 6.

    Which is why I'm asking if IE 6 will run on old versions of Windows, or
    does it need XP?

    If it will run on old versions of Windows how far back could it go.
    Would it run on Windows 98 for example?

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    patrick j, Nov 3, 2006

  2. patrick j

    Dylan Parry Guest

    patrick j wrote:

    [IE6]
    > Would it run on Windows 98 for example?

    It's been a while since I used it, but IIRC Windows 98 ran IE6 fine. You
    can also run it on NT4 (not sure which service pack), 2000, and ME. I
    don't think it can run on 95.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
    against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.
    Dylan Parry, Nov 3, 2006

  3. patrick j

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Dylan Parry, Nov 3, 2006
  4. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 11:33:23 +0000, Dylan Parry wrote
    (in article <>):

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/evaluation/sysreqs/default.mspx

    Thank you very much. That totally answers the question :)

    It's good news. Now all I have to do is buy a second-hand version of
    Windows of the type listed there.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    patrick j, Nov 3, 2006
  5. patrick j

    Dylan Parry Guest

    patrick j wrote:

    > It's good news. Now all I have to do is buy a second-hand version of
    > Windows of the type listed there.

    Actually, I only just noticed this bit of your original post:

    >| All is going very well, but now I want to have a second installation of
    >| Windows in the Parallels workstation so that I can check out web-pages
    >| in IE 7.

    I thought that you didn't actually have a Windows machine at all,
    otherwise my answer would have been slightly different.

    You can simply download Internet Explorer as a standalone version from
    this site: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone and then you
    can run as many different versions as exist from one machine. Just
    install IE7 as the actual browser, then unzip the IE6 you downloaded
    from the above site and you can run it by running iexplore.exe from
    within the unzipped archive.

    Dylan Parry, Nov 3, 2006
  6. patrick j

    BootNic Guest

    > Dylan Parry <> wrote:
    > patrick j wrote:

    [snip]
    > You can simply download Internet Explorer as a standalone version from
    > this site: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone and then you
    > can run as many different versions as exist from one machine. Just
    > install IE7 as the actual browser, then unzip the IE6 you downloaded
    > from the above site and you can run it by running iexplore.exe from
    > within the unzipped archive.

    http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

    One download Multiple versions, pick which ones you want during
    install.

    --
    BootNic Friday, November 03, 2006 11:03 AM

    Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant
    intelligence.
    *Henrik Tikkanen*
    BootNic, Nov 3, 2006
  7. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 12:42:33 +0000, Dylan Parry wrote
    (in article <>):

    > You can simply download Internet Explorer as a standalone version from
    > this site: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone and then you
    > can run as many different versions as exist from one machine.

    Hi

    This is excellent information thank you.

    I had done some searching using Google through the various newsgroups
    dedicated to Windows and Explorer and I'd got the (obviously wrong)
    impression that you could not use two versions of Explorer at once.

    However this is clearly an error, so instead I'll just update my
    Windows XP to IE 7 and then download the standalone IE 6 and have that
    as well.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    patrick j, Nov 3, 2006
  8. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:04:20 +0000, BootNic wrote
    (in article <8MJ2h.4216$>):

    > http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
    >
    > One download Multiple versions, pick which ones you want during
    > install.

    That's very useful. I'm reading about it now. I think I will get my IE
    6 updated to IE7 using the built in Microsoft route then download this
    multiple versions package.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    patrick j, Nov 3, 2006
  9. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 19:35:27 +0000, patrick j wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:04:20 +0000, BootNic wrote
    > (in article <8MJ2h.4216$>):
    >
    >> http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
    >>
    >> One download Multiple versions, pick which ones you want during
    >> install.

    > That's very useful. I'm reading about it now. I think I will get my IE
    > 6 updated to IE7 using the built in Microsoft route then download this
    > multiple versions package.

    Well, reporting back I've now got the multiple IE package and it is
    very useful. My main browser in Windows is now IE 7 but I also have IE
    6, 5.5, 5.01, 4.01 and 3.

    I think it is only 6 which "really matters" but it is very useful to
    have 5.5 and 5.01.

    Looking at my own web-site in them [0] is rather interesting. Of the
    "pre 6" browsers 3 does the best job simply because it doesn't have any
    style-sheet support at all and I think no style-sheets at all is better
    than incomplete style-sheet support when looking at a web-site using a
    reasonable amount of today's style-sheet facilities.

    What gets me about IE 3 is those squiggly lines over the toolbar area.
    Gosh, that is weird. I'm certain I've used IE 3 because it really
    wasn't that long ago that it would have been the contemporary browser
    and although I'm given to Macs living as I do in the real world I do
    find myself using Windows quite a lot. I must have encountered those
    squiggly lines in the toolbar of IE 3 before but presumably not found
    them as bizarre then as I do now :)

    [0] narcissistic fellow that I am

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    patrick j, Nov 3, 2006
  10. patrick j

    richard Guest

    "patrick j" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I think this post is on topic for alt.html, but only just really.
    >
    > I am very ignorant about Windows and I have got Windows XP Professional
    > SP2 in a Parallels workstation on my Mac OS X so I can check out
    > web-pages in IE 6.
    >
    > All is going very well, but now I want to have a second installation of
    > Windows in the Parallels workstation so that I can check out web-pages
    > in IE 7.
    >
    > I was rather fortuitous in that I got my Windows XP for free because I
    > work at a university. However I can only get one copy.
    >
    > I'm not hugely rich so I'm not very enthusiastic about going out and
    > buying a second version of Windows XP just to run IE 7.
    >
    > It has occurred to me however that I could upgrade IE 6 to IE 7 in the
    > Windows XP I have and then buy second-hand an old version of Windows to
    > install and run IE 6.
    >
    > Which is why I'm asking if IE 6 will run on old versions of Windows, or
    > does it need XP?
    >
    > If it will run on old versions of Windows how far back could it go.
    > Would it run on Windows 98 for example?

    As I recall the order of events, IE5 came with windows 95, then IE6 came
    with Windows 98se.
    I know I was running IE6 on ME.

    But why not install firefox? FF renders pages more correctly and has less
    flaws.
    I use it exclusively now.
    richard, Nov 4, 2006
  11. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 05:53:43 +0000, richard wrote
    (in article <>):

    > As I recall the order of events, IE5 came with windows 95, then IE6 came
    > with Windows 98se.
    > I know I was running IE6 on ME.
    >
    > But why not install firefox? FF renders pages more correctly and has less
    > flaws.
    > I use it exclusively now.

    Thanks for this. In fact I want IE 6 to check how web-pages look in it
    as it is the most commonly used browser at present.

    I now have IE6 and IE7 so I'm fine in that respect.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    patrick j, Nov 4, 2006
  12. richard wrote:

    > As I recall the order of events, IE5 came with windows 95,

    Oh, please.

    "[Spyglass Mosaic] The browser was then modified and renamed as Internet
    Explorer. Microsoft originally released Internet Explorer 1.0 in August
    1995 with the Internet Jumpstart Kit in Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95."

    > then IE6 came with Windows 98se.

    No, not yet.

    > I know I was running IE6 on ME.

    "Version 6 was released with Windows XP in August 27, 2001."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Internet_Explorer
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/historyofie.mspx

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 4, 2006
  13. patrick j

    Toby Inkster Guest

    richard wrote:

    > As I recall the order of events, IE5 came with windows 95, then IE6 came
    > with Windows 98se.
    > I know I was running IE6 on ME.

    Windows 95 didn't come with Internet Explorer.

    FWIW, IE 6 runs on any fully-32-bit of Windows, except Windows 95.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Nov 7, 2006
  14. patrick j

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Nov 7, 2006
  15. patrick j

    Toby Inkster Guest

    patrick j wrote:

    > Looking at my own web-site in them [0] is rather interesting. Of the
    > "pre 6" browsers 3 does the best job simply because it doesn't have any
    > style-sheet support at all

    Yes it does!

    IE3 was the first browser to market with CSS support. However, its support
    is fairly basic. It doesn't support #id selectors or @import; backgrounds
    are screwy; the cascade is broken; and you can forget about floats and
    positioning.

    IE indeed had CSS support before the CSS1 specification was finalised,
    which is partly why its support for the box model was so rubbish -- it was
    based on older drafts. (It is for a similar reason that IE didn't support
    the ABBR element until recently.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Nov 7, 2006
  16. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> As I recall the order of events, IE5 came with windows 95, then IE6 came
    >> with Windows 98se.
    >> I know I was running IE6 on ME.

    > Windows 95 didn't come with Internet Explorer.

    Well Win95 OSR2.1 did, although MSIE 3.02! That is the version where MS
    "tried" to have USB support.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 7, 2006
  17. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:13:30 +0000, Toby Inkster wrote
    (in article <5n.co.uk>):

    > patrick j wrote:
    >
    >> Looking at my own web-site in them [0] is rather interesting. Of the
    >> "pre 6" browsers 3 does the best job simply because it doesn't have any
    >> style-sheet support at all

    > Yes it does!

    [...]

    That is most interesting. I never knew they were ahead of the pack in
    that manner.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK