Can I run perl under windows line by line?

wld

I have installed Activeperl 5.8.6 MSI.
and under ppm propmt: I give "search Win32::API" command
select 1.Win32_API. installed Win32 API. Is this all I need to run perl
under windows?
Waht does any package I need?

Is it possible enter "perl mode" prompt then I can run a perl command
line by line just like Tcl does.

Thank in advance,

steven

Paul Lalli

wld said:
I have installed Activeperl 5.8.6 MSI.
and under ppm propmt: I give "search Win32::API" command
select 1.Win32_API. installed Win32 API. Is this all I need to run perl
under windows?

Win32::API is not needed to run perl under windows. Win32::API will
give you access to certain Win32 API function calls. It is certainly
not needed for anything that's not windows-specific.
Waht does any package I need?

Only you can answer that. Activestate Perl is runnable out of the box.
You only need to download and install modules as they become necessary
(or just helpful) for the task at hand. You haven't told us what your
task at hand is yet.
Is it possible enter "perl mode" prompt then I can run a perl command
line by line just like Tcl does.

I have no idea what Tcl does. You can run a perl script from STDIN by
opening a command prompt and just typing
perl
followed by the code you wish to execute, and then the EOF marker
(generally CTRL-Z or CTRL-D)

You can run perl more interactively by launching the built-in debugger
by typing
perl -d
that will allow you to interactively evaluate perl code. type h or h h
from within the debugger for more info, or look at
perldoc perldebug
from your command prompt.

Hope this helps,
Paul Lalli

Henry Law

I have installed Activeperl 5.8.6 MSI.
and under ppm propmt: I give "search Win32::API" command
select 1.Win32_API. installed Win32 API. Is this all I need to run perl
under windows?

I wonder if that's the question you really want to ask. Installing
ActivePerl is "... all you need to run Perl under windows". Many
packages, including a number supplied with ActiveState, provide access
to parts of Windows via the API, and I presume "Win32::API" (with
which I am not familiar) is another of those.

See if this helps:

* To run Perl under windows you need a Windows port of perl.
ActiveState Perl is one of those (there are others)

* To use Perl for Windows programming via the Windows API you need
additional packages, some of which are supplied with ActiveState.
Win32::API may be all you need, it may not - it depends on what
elements of the API you want to use, and how your exact requirement
matches the function of that package.
Is it possible enter "perl mode" prompt then I can run a perl command
line by line just like Tcl does.

Perl has a debugging mode; look in the documentation. There is also
an "Open Perl IDE" available; it's far from perfect but in my opinion
it's very usable. It provides the ability to set breakpoints, inspect
variables and so on.

Joe Smith

wld said:
I have installed Activeperl 5.8.6 MSI.
Is it possible enter "perl mode" prompt then I can run a perl command

C:\>perl -d -e 1
Enter h or `h h' for help, or `perldoc perldebug' for more help.

main::(-e:1): 1
DB<1> print "$_ = '$ENV{$_}'\n" for sort keys %ENV
[lots of output here]
DB<2> x @ARGV
empty array
DB<3> q
C:\>

Jazeker

wld said:
I have installed Activeperl 5.8.6 MSI.
and under ppm propmt: I give "search Win32::API" command
select 1.Win32_API. installed Win32 API. Is this all I need to run perl
under windows?

win32::API comes with ActivePerl, no need to install it.
Waht does any package I need?

waht mean you ?
Is it possible enter "perl mode" prompt then I can run a perl command
line by line just like Tcl does.

Get the graphical debugger, Devel-ptkdb, which you can get via ppm as well.