Can I safely delete Temporary ASP.NET Files?

Guest

On my development machine, I often delete all folders/files under
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files. That
has not caused me any trouble til now.

So now we have a production server and the system disk is running out of
space soon. I need to some files to make space. And I found the Temporary
ASP.NET Files folder contains hundres of megabytes of files. I want to delete
them all, but I am afraid of any unwanted results to happen to the production
server.

Please tell me if it is totally safe to delete all those files?

Scott M.

Yes it is safe. However, these are the fully compiled files that your
production server uses to process the application. Each new page request
will cause these files to be re-created and each first user to the page,
will experience a short delay in receiving the page as the new temporary
file is re-created.

If you are in that much of a bind for disk space on a production server,
it's time to think about upgrading your server.

Guest

Thanks for your reply.

And another related question is is there any way to configure where these
temporary files go? For example, I want the Framework put these files on
another disk.

Oh, BTW, the reason the system disk is running out space is that I was
verystupid and only partioned 4gb space for C:.

Guest

Sure, you can delete them, but the real question is "should you"?
They will get recreated when the pages are hit, as they are cached native
compiles, amongst other things. So the answer to "should" is no.

I would look for other files to delete or add a new drive and migrate the
site over to that drive (copy and then point the application to the new
virtual directory). This will, at least, move your IIS information over. If
you have SQL on the box, consider moving data files and log files to another
drive or moving SQL to another machine prior to deleting temp files.

How big is the drive on this machine and what do you have installed? I am
sure you can find something less critical to delete.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

darrel

Oh, BTW, the reason the system disk is running out space is that I was
verystupid and only partioned 4gb space for C:.

Time to reformat the HD. ;o)

-Darrel

Joined
Mar 22, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
It's an option to delete your temp files using asp.NET, but my advice to you, try using History Killer Pro. the program is very effective.