    Is it possible to save a file in the ldap server?

    I think in ladap we can search through a simple metadata but not files.

    Shin
    sk, Mar 14, 2007

  2. sk

    Nigel Wade Guest

    sk wrote:

    > Is it possible to save a file in the ldap server?

    Do you mean to the LDAP server's filesystem, or within the LDAP servers
    directory (directory in this context meaning the LDAP servers data store, not
    the directory in which it is located in the underlying filesystem - terminology
    is confusing when the same word is used for entirely different things)? You
    could save the file as an object in the LDAP directory itself, if it isn't too
    large.

    > I think in ladap we can search through a simple metadata but not files.

    The LDAP server allows you to search and add information into its own directory.
    But there is no access to the LDAP server's underlying filesystem.

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
    Nigel Wade, Mar 15, 2007

  3. sk wrote:
    > Is it possible to save a file in the ldap server?
    >
    > I think in ladap we can search through a simple metadata but not files.
    >
    > Shin

    Assuming you mean the LDAP server's underlying database, then yes, you
    can can save files in it. That's how you can save jpg files in the
    jpegPhoto attribute. Binary data has to be stored in binary attributes,
    which in Java you would use a byte[] data type for handling that type of
    data. I've never attempted to store plaintext files in an LDAP database
    and that isn't what they are supposed to be used for anyway. If you have
    textual data then put it in attributes because the plaintext files can't
    be searched while they are in the LDAP database. They would have to be
    retrieved one at a time and then searched by the client; not very
    efficient to say the least.
    Brandon McCombs, Mar 17, 2007