    this with an HTTP stream; could someone please point me to a good resource
    for this?

    Thanks
    sputnik, Jul 2, 2003

  2. sputnik

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <1gEMa.57016$>,
    says...
    > I'm trying to stream a Windows Media Video file (.wmv) from my web server,
    > but I don't have a copy of Windows Server 2003 which is the route that
    > Microsoft seems to be pushing right now. I've heard that I can accomplish
    > this with an HTTP stream; could someone please point me to a good resource
    > for this?

    Solution: Put the file where it is accessible and unless you have
    hundreds of concurrent hits the Server makes little difference. If the
    user can download it faster than they play it <*POOF*> it is streaming.
    You can include a link or embed the player in the page, your choice.
    Search google for example code of both methods

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jul 2, 2003

  3. sputnik

    sputnik Guest

    While that is true for small files, what about a 30 min video? I'd still
    like for it to stream if possible.

    Thanks

    sputnik, Jul 2, 2003
  4. "sputnik" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to stream a Windows Media Video file (.wmv) from my web server,
    > but I don't have a copy of Windows Server 2003 which is the route that
    > Microsoft seems to be pushing right now. I've heard that I can accomplish
    > this with an HTTP stream; could someone please point me to a good resource
    > for this?
    >
    > Thanks

    real created a program called helix once... it supports wmv streaming and
    some other formats as well. available for linux, mac and windows if i'm not
    mistaken. my site, www.tvreclames.nl uses it.

    Bart
    Bart van den Burg, Jul 2, 2003
  5. sputnik

    crispy Guest

    Hello,

    I burned a bunch of time a couple of weeks ago trying to find a
    reasonably-priced host that streams different kinds of media. I
    settled with webmasters.com. Lots of space and capability to stream
    all kinds of media for only $10 a month.

    crispy
    crispy, Jul 2, 2003
  6. sputnik

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Whitecrest said...

    > It makes absolutely no difference what size the files are. If the user
    > can download it faster than they view it, the it will stream. This is
    > why a 56K modem may see a video clip as choppy, when it was encoded for
    > 150K. But the DSL user will see it stream like a champ. The same 56K
    > modem user can view something encoded at 34K with no problems at all.

    but not forgetting a Xk connection may not be a constant Xk, thats
    just the max you can get in theory.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 03/July/2003 08:50:02 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/
    brucie, Jul 2, 2003
  7. sputnik

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bdvnqm$1162gr$>,
    says...
    > > It makes absolutely no difference what size the files are. If the user
    > > can download it faster than they view it, the it will stream. This is
    > > why a 56K modem may see a video clip as choppy, when it was encoded for
    > > 150K. But the DSL user will see it stream like a champ. The same 56K
    > > modem user can view something encoded at 34K with no problems at all.

    > but not forgetting a Xk connection may not be a constant Xk, thats
    > just the max you can get in theory.

    Of course, but then cable modems can also have bad days and stumble on
    34K feeds. The point was not who could see what, but rather streaming is
    a combination of bandwidth and encoding. In this case size really does
    not matter....

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jul 3, 2003
  8. sputnik

    sputnik Guest

    > In article <1gEMa.57016$>,
    > says...
    > > I'm trying to stream a Windows Media Video file (.wmv) from my web

    server,
    > > but I don't have a copy of Windows Server 2003 which is the route that
    > > Microsoft seems to be pushing right now. I've heard that I can

    accomplish
    > > this with an HTTP stream; could someone please point me to a good

    resource
    > > for this?

    > Solution: Put the file where it is accessible and unless you have
    > hundreds of concurrent hits the Server makes little difference. If the
    > user can download it faster than they play it <*POOF*> it is streaming.
    > You can include a link or embed the player in the page, your choice.
    > Search google for example code of both methods
    >
    > --
    > Whitecrest Entertainment
    > www.whitecrestent.com

    That totally did the trick. Thanks.