Can I use a WebService Architecture to transfer large datasets ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sanjay, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Sanjay

    Sanjay Guest

    I have a question whose answer will help me save a lot of time in
    investigation and implementation. Becuase we have a mix of platforms
    (Windows/Unix etc) in our environment I would like to implement a web
    service using XML/SOAP (assuming SOAP is also implemented in other languages
    like Perl/Java etc) that returns a large dataset (20 or 30 or even 100 megs)
    that the client can save to a file at his end for futher automated
    processing. These datasets will be the result of custom querys that these
    clients run on my database using the webservice.We are trying to automate
    the process of genearation and transfer of custom files between various
    enterprise databases. This needs to be web service becuse the client(s)
    (that consume this web service) will be written as part of automated jobs
    to pull thier files from our database every night. So this web service
    needs to run like a custom ftp program between differnt platforms. Now for
    small datasets web service is ok I think. But for large datasets my thought
    was to implement this web service to generate a custom zipped file
    containing the unique data required by each client that can be pulled over
    by each client. Is this possible using SOAP/XML ? And is possible for
    clients written in non MS languages to take advantage of this technology so
    that I dont have to get into the business of writing a custom clients for
    all my data customers?
    Thoughts anyone?.

    Thanks in advance

    Sanjay