can I use element tree for handling special characters in xml text?

hackingKK

Hello all.
I have been waiting a lot to ask this question and I did ask some days
back but probably could not put it the proper way.
I want to know how I can safely include special characters like & or >
in xml text?
For example I store a small xml file containing list of organisations.
Many names have an "&" in the name as in brian & turner.
so the xml noad will be <orgname> brian & turner </orgname>
But I know this won't work directly.
my code naturally fails when I try to insert such data.
Can any one suggest the right way of parsing this kind of strings and
treat & like characters as part of the literal string?
Hope my question is clear this time.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

hackingKK said:
I have been waiting a lot to ask this question and I did ask some days
back but probably could not put it the proper way.

You still can't. <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

But to spare everyone yet another try:
I want to know how I can safely include special characters like & or >
in xml text?

(I don't know what you want to know, so don't ask me that.)

You need CDATA sections for this. That is not a Python problem.

You should get a real name.