    be to learn Objective-C after learning Ruby?

    Thanks a lot!

    -- =

    Fily Salas, Mar 24, 2011

  2. What would you do with Objective-C?
    You can imagine both languages to be completely different.
    It helps to know something about method signatures in objective-c but in
    general I would suggest to just decide what you want to do and then
    choose the right language.

    I suppose you will use macruby with ruby and when you switch over to iOS
    development you will need to learn Objective-C and that means, you start
    at the very beginning, again. ;)

    Ahhh, one advice: Like in with every language -> Relatively easy to
    learn
    Like with every framework -> It needs some time to learn.

    Dive into it!

    Michael

    Michael Johann, Mar 24, 2011

  3. Fily Salas

    Fily Salas Guest

    Thanks a lot for your comments!

    The reason for the question is because I was looking at the introduction
    for MacRuby and it looks like you could actually use Ruby and
    Objective-C but I didn't know if that was a requirement or you could use
    only Ruby, also to see if they were similar and as you stated the
    opportunity to write apps for iOS is a plus.

    I know I'm probably asking questions that don't make too much sense
    since I'm still learning Ruby (in fact I'm really enjoying this
    language).

    Thanks

    Fily Salas, Mar 24, 2011
  4. On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Fily Salas <> wrote:
    > Thanks a lot for your comments!
    >
    > The reason for the question is because I was looking at the introduction
    > for MacRuby and it looks like you could actually use Ruby and
    > Objective-C but I didn't know if that was a requirement or you could use
    > only Ruby, also to see if they were similar and as you stated the
    > opportunity to write apps for iOS is a plus.

    IIRC, it's similar to how JRuby and IronRuby would work: Access to the
    runtime's native features via Ruby, but it's a bonus, not a
    requirement.

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Though the folk I have met,