Can I use MacRuby without knowing Objective-C

Fily Salas

Hi,

Do I need to know Objective-C to use MacRuby?

How similar is Ruby to Objective =E2=80=93C? In other words How hard wou=
ld that
be to learn Objective-C after learning Ruby?

Thanks a lot!

-- =

Michael Johann

What would you do with Objective-C?
You can imagine both languages to be completely different.
It helps to know something about method signatures in objective-c but in
general I would suggest to just decide what you want to do and then
choose the right language.

I suppose you will use macruby with ruby and when you switch over to iOS
development you will need to learn Objective-C and that means, you start
at the very beginning, again. ;)

Ahhh, one advice: Like in with every language -> Relatively easy to
learn
Like with every framework -> It needs some time to learn.

Dive into it!

Michael

Fily Salas

Thanks a lot for your comments!

The reason for the question is because I was looking at the introduction
for MacRuby and it looks like you could actually use Ruby and
Objective-C but I didn't know if that was a requirement or you could use
only Ruby, also to see if they were similar and as you stated the
opportunity to write apps for iOS is a plus.

I know I'm probably asking questions that don't make too much sense
since I'm still learning Ruby (in fact I'm really enjoying this
language).

Thanks

Phillip Gawlowski

Thanks a lot for your comments!

The reason for the question is because I was looking at the introduction
for MacRuby and it looks like you could actually use Ruby and
Objective-C but I didn't know if that was a requirement or you could use
only Ruby, also to see if they were similar and as you stated the
opportunity to write apps for iOS is a plus.

IIRC, it's similar to how JRuby and IronRuby would work: Access to the
runtime's native features via Ruby, but it's a bonus, not a
requirement.

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,