Can I use Python instead of Joomla?

walterbyrd

If I wanted to build a website with forums, news feeds, galleries,
event calander, document managment, etc. I do so in Joomla easily.

But, I would perfer to use django/python, if that would be at all
practical.

I suppose I could put python scripts into django, if those scripts
exist.

Paul Boddie

walterbyrd said:
If I wanted to build a website with forums, news feeds, galleries,
event calander, document managment, etc. I do so in Joomla easily.

Yes, you can do this kind of thing with Python:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/ContentManagementSystems
But, I would perfer to use django/python, if that would be at all
practical.

Then you should be looking for a content management system (CMS)
written using Django, although there are a number of other established
open source solutions, particularly in the Zope universe, that are
already widely deployed.

Paul

Adam Atlas

If I wanted to build a website with forums, news feeds, galleries,
event calander, document managment, etc. I do so in Joomla easily.

But, I would perfer to use django/python, if that would be at all
practical.

I suppose I could put python scripts into django, if those scripts
exist.

Have you looked at Zope/Plone?

It's not Django, but they're the de facto standards in the Python
world for that sort of thing.

Alan Franzoni

Il 2 May 2007 13:48:45 -0700, walterbyrd ha scritto:
If I wanted to build a website with forums, news feeds, galleries,
event calander, document managment, etc. I do so in Joomla easily.

You're using Joomla, which is a CMS written in PHP.

Python is a language, you should ask 'can I use Python instead of PHP'.

There are various Python CMSes lying around, you already got the link from
the Python wiki. Now, you should check if they offer the same level of
functionality and support that Joomla offers - and it may or may not be the
case; consider that Joomla and Mambo have been around since years, while
Python cmses and web frameworks are relatively young.

Finally, Django is a framework, not a CMS. It is used to create websites
and may be used to actually create CMSes.

Now the important part: if you're not a PHP programmer, you can still use
Joomla. You just download it, follow the instructions, plug in any
pre-packed addon, and use it. You could probably do the very same with some
of the Python CMSes around.

Django is different: you must be able to program Python in order to use it.
Nothing works from the beginning, since it's not a CMS: you must code it.

--
Alan Franzoni <[email protected]>
-

Bruno Desthuilliers

walterbyrd a écrit :
If I wanted to build a website with forums, news feeds, galleries,
event calander, document managment, etc. I do so in Joomla easily.

But, I would perfer to use django/python, if that would be at all
practical.

I suppose I could put python scripts into django, if those scripts
exist.
You're mixing apples, fishes, and cars here. Joomla is a content
management system, Django a framework and Python a language.

walterbyrd

You're mixing apples, fishes, and cars here. Joomla is a content
management system, Django a framework and Python a language.

Yes, I know, but they are all ways to create a website. If I wanted a
site which included galleries, forums, etc. and I didn't want to re-
invent the wheel, I could:

1) Use joomla or drupal, and possible end up "fighting the framework"
to get just what I want.

2) Cooble together a web-site with various scripts, either developed
by others, or myself.

I would like to work with django, and include some python stuff. But,
the PHP environments seem to have a much richer assortment of pre-
written scripts.

If I want to include my own applications, I could develop those apps
with a popular PHP MVC called "CakePHP" and include those into joomla
or drupal. I don't know if there is anything like that with Python
development.

Bruno Desthuilliers

walterbyrd a écrit :
Yes, I know, but they are all ways to create a website. If I wanted a
site which included galleries, forums, etc. and I didn't want to re-
invent the wheel, I could:

1) Use joomla or drupal, and possible end up "fighting the framework"
to get just what I want.

2) Cooble together a web-site with various scripts, either developed
by others, or myself.

I would like to work with django, and include some python stuff. But,
the PHP environments seem to have a much richer assortment of pre-
written scripts.

Most of them being of very poor quality...
If I want to include my own applications, I could develop those apps
with a popular PHP MVC called "CakePHP" and include those into joomla
or drupal.

I'm not sure integrating CakePHP stuff into something like Joomla or
Drupal will be that easy.
I don't know if there is anything like that with Python
development.

The most advanced Python-based CMS so far is still Plone. But it's a
monstruosity.

If you want Python and easy integration, you'd probably be happier with
Pylons. While far from finished, it's very promising, and less
monolithic than Django.

My 2 cents...

John Draper

walterbyrd said:
If I wanted to build a website with forums, news feeds, galleries,
event calander, document managment, etc. I do so in Joomla easily.

But, I would perfer to use django/python, if that would be at all
practical.

I suppose I could put python scripts into django, if those scripts
exist.
There are at least 3 Python oriented web apps out there.
I highly recommend you ditch Joomla as soon as you can.

joomla has a lot of security issues, and I've been trying to get
my friend off of this POS for the longest time. Her web sites
are constantly getting defaced... there are at least 3 Joomla
exploits I know of out there.

djangoproject.org
turbogears.com
plone.org

Check these out. But get off of Joomla as soon as you can.
I admit, Joomla is easy to use I admit, but very easy to vector into
a root exploit.

John

walterbyrd

I'm not sure integrating CakePHP stuff into something like Joomla or
Drupal will be that easy.

I don't know either. But, there are projects called "jake" and "drake"
which are specifically geared toward intergrating cakephp with joomla
and drupal, respectively.

walterbyrd

I admit, Joomla is easy to use I admit, but very easy to vector into
a root exploit.

I had no idea. Thank you for posting that.

One thing I really like about joomla is the 1600+ extensions. But, I
don't need those kinds of security issues.