Can I use servlets WITH ASP.Net 2.0 ?

Bit Byte

I have written a custom servlet engine (and "wrapper" servlets) for some
legacy code (C/C++) that I have.

The servlets contain the bulk of my 1st 2 layers in a 3 tier
architecture - i.e. data layer and business logic layer respectively. Is
it technically possible to use my servlets for the first two layers and
then use ASP.Net for the presentation layer (i.e. using webforms etc)?

The obvious "bridge" would be SOAP, but I want a more tightly couple
system than that - i.e. I do not want to wrap up the servlets in yet
another layer of abstraction - since they already wrap around my C++
code... so any suggestions other than SOAP will be greatly appreciated.

Bit Byte

Bit said:
I have written a custom servlet engine (and "wrapper" servlets) for some
legacy code (C/C++) that I have.

The servlets contain the bulk of my 1st 2 layers in a 3 tier
architecture - i.e. data layer and business logic layer respectively. Is
it technically possible to use my servlets for the first two layers and
then use ASP.Net for the presentation layer (i.e. using webforms etc)?

The obvious "bridge" would be SOAP, but I want a more tightly couple
system than that - i.e. I do not want to wrap up the servlets in yet
another layer of abstraction - since they already wrap around my C++
code... so any suggestions other than SOAP will be greatly appreciated.

Ok, the bit about "custom" servlets may have been "too scary", "too much
information" (or even both). Is it technically possible to use Java
servlets with ASP.Net ?

If the answer is yes, then I can hopefully, use a similar (or even same)
approach - any pointers will be much appreciated. BTW, a google search
is not bringing up anything useful - thats why I'm asking in here ...

Joerg Jooss

Thus wrote Bit,
Ok, the bit about "custom" servlets may have been "too scary", "too
much information" (or even both). Is it technically possible to use
Java servlets with ASP.Net ?

If the answer is yes, then I can hopefully, use a similar (or even
same) approach - any pointers will be much appreciated. BTW, a google
search is not bringing up anything useful - thats why I'm asking in
here ...

You can make a ASP.NET page hit a servlet and vice versa -- at HTTP level.
That's only useful if you want to reuse some exisiting servlet-based functionality
and can afford to make that extra HTTP call from an ASP.NET page.

Cheers,

bruce barker

asp.net builtin support for servlets is limited to soap based messages.
you would have to write your own asp.net servlet calling component.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)