    win32 api? I do not know VB, so my only other option would be c++ right?

    Thanks.
    Jessica

    Jessica Weiner, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Jessica Weiner wrote:
    > I am writing an application that I want to my users to be able to
    > execute without installting .net framework. For this, do I have to
    > program using the win32 api? I do not know VB, so my only other
    > option would be c++ right?

    You cannot buy unmanaged VB any more, and microsoft will soon remove all
    free support for it. That basically means that VB is dead. If you want
    to do unmanaged development for Win32 then you use unmanaged C++.
    Petzold style Windows programming (writing windprocs) is long-winded and
    prone to error. The alternatives are MFC, which is established and there
    are lots of books about it, or WTL, which is much newer, but (to my
    knowledge) there are no books about it. MFC is inherently single
    threaded, WTL is inherently multithreaded. MFC is supplied as part of
    every version of VC++, WTL is a separate download from Microsoft.

    When I write Win32 apps I use WTL, but I know Win32 well, so the lack of
    documentation is no bother to me. Your best option should be MFC
    assuming you can get a suitable MFC Tutorial book.

    Richard
    --
    Fusion Tutorial: http://www.grimes.demon.co.uk/workshops/fusionWS.htm
    Security Tutorial:

    Richard Grimes, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Jessica Weiner

    Eddie Guest

    Jessica Weiner wrote:
    > I am writing an application that I want to my users to be able to execute
    > without installting .net framework. For this, do I have to program using the
    > win32 api? I do not know VB, so my only other option would be c++ right?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Jessica

    I find the easiest way to write Win32 apps is Delphi. MFC is used more
    but is hard work (IMHO).

    Might also be worth looking at wxWidgets at http://www.wxwidgets.org/ if
    you wish to stay with C++

    Eddie

    Eddie, Dec 17, 2005
  4. I'm not sure if this is really a good idea for you to go with unmanaged C++
    and things like WFC, WTL and ATL. The order of complexity of using C++
    instead of C# is at least one order of magnitude greater and doing so with
    take you a lot more of time. Saying that this could be ten times greater or
    more is not exagerated or unusual and even after that, you will probably
    finish with a buggy and incomplete application. (BTW, I'm saying this
    without being rude in any way; as I've experienced this personally myself).

    Your users don't need to install the .NET framework is they already have it
    and even if they must install it, this is a very small price to pay in
    comparaison of the time that you will save.

    --
    Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
    MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Dec 18, 2005
  5. Jessica Weiner

    Pascal Duti Guest

    Delphi is the way to go. Easy, structured, powerful, no extra libraries
    needed.

    Watch out to not use 'Delphi for .NET' or you stay with .NET dependency.

    Pascal

    Pascal Duti, Jan 6, 2006