    are selling these as software. Is this as simple as placing a command on
    the page, or does a certain web server actually have to host a counter?
    Thanks, Dale

    Dale, Feb 19, 2008

  2. Dale

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Re: Can I write s simple html command to include a hit-counter on myweb page?

    On Feb 18, 8:32 pm, "Dale" <> wrote:
    > I operate a web page for my church, and I am trying to find out whether it
    > is possible for me to write a simple html command to insert a hit counter
    > onto the web page. I don't know how counters are made, just that some people
    > are selling these as software. Is this as simple as placing a command on
    > the page, or does a certain web server actually have to host a counter?

    A hit counter is run on a server, and there are server side programs
    to do this. There have been cases where someone gives you free hit
    counters, but that requires some sort of linking to their server as
    well as the server handling your web pages. They will give you the
    code necessary to do this. There have been abuses of these free remote
    hit counters in the past, so only use one at your own risk unless you
    investigate it very well. For instance, your church members might
    start getting a lot of porn ads.

    If you use the server that holds your own web pages, it all depends on
    what your host will let you do on the server. Some have preinstalled
    scripts for hit counters and several other features. For instance the
    host I use allows you to select either a Linux-Unix server or a
    Microsoft server. The two server types differ in what they will do.
    The Linux server I am on has several preinstalled scripts for various
    things that you turn on only if you want them. On the control panel
    there is a section called CGI-Wizard. Below is a very brief
    description of what you can turn on:

    Edit Counter preinstalled script
    Features include: blocking multiple hits from the same user, insertion
    of commas, text-based or graphical modes, support for multiple
    counters from the same script, and tracking users' browsers, operating
    systems, and location. (requires SSI or GD.pm)

    Edit Guestbook preinstalled script
    Extropia's WebGuestbook is "configurable so that you can specify what
    your guestbook file looks like and how the script-generated responses
    are displayed. Most of the configuration takes little more than a
    knowledge of HTML, so it is fairly easy to use. In addition, the user
    can select a range of posts based on age in days, and choose to see."

    Edit FormMail preinstalled script
    FormMail is a generic WWW form to e-mail gateway, which will parse the
    results of any form and send them to the specified user. This script
    has many formatting and operational options, most of which can be
    specified through the form, meaning you don't need any programming
    knowledge or multiple scripts for multiple forms. This also makes
    FormMail a perfect system-wide solution for allowing users form-based
    user feedback capabilities without the risks of allowing freedom of
    CGI access.

    Edit Chat preinstalled script
    WebChat is a useful application that allows a number of people on the
    World Wide Web to talk to one another simultaneously. The ability to
    chat on the Web can be a quick way to hold a virtual meeting.

    Edit phpBB

    You just select on or off buttons for any of these. In some cases you
    have to edit what features you wish to include. The host has detailed
    instructions on their site giving the details. In some cases, you do
    nothing to your web pages - everything is done on the server. In other
    cases some code may be required on the web page which will be
    described by the host's documentation.

    For those who own their own server, you can install your own scripts,
    but this requires considerable knowledge of the server and server side
    code.

    cwdjrxyz, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Dale

    joesplink Guest

    On Feb 18, 6:32 pm, "Dale" <> wrote:
    > I operate a web page for my church, and I am trying to find out whether it
    > is possible for me to write a simple html command to insert a hit counter
    > onto the web page. I don't know how counters are made, just that some people
    > are selling these as software. Is this as simple as placing a command on
    > the page, or does a certain web server actually have to host a counter?
    > Thanks, Dale

    Go to www.sitemeter.com

    They have a free sitemeter .... nothing to it.... works well.

    joesplink, Feb 19, 2008
  4. Dale

    Dale Guest

    Thankyou to those who replied back. I appreciate all of the information.
    Dale

    Dale, Feb 20, 2008