Can I write s simple html command to include a hit-counter on my web page?

Dale

I operate a web page for my church, and I am trying to find out whether it
is possible for me to write a simple html command to insert a hit counter
onto the web page. I don't know how counters are made, just that some people
are selling these as software. Is this as simple as placing a command on
the page, or does a certain web server actually have to host a counter?
Thanks, Dale

cwdjrxyz

I operate a web page for my church, and I am trying to find out whether it
is possible for me to write a simple html command to insert a hit counter
onto the web page. I don't know how counters are made, just that some people
are selling these as software. Is this as simple as placing a command on
the page, or does a certain web server actually have to host a counter?

A hit counter is run on a server, and there are server side programs
to do this. There have been cases where someone gives you free hit
counters, but that requires some sort of linking to their server as
well as the server handling your web pages. They will give you the
code necessary to do this. There have been abuses of these free remote
hit counters in the past, so only use one at your own risk unless you
investigate it very well. For instance, your church members might
start getting a lot of porn ads.

If you use the server that holds your own web pages, it all depends on
what your host will let you do on the server. Some have preinstalled
scripts for hit counters and several other features. For instance the
host I use allows you to select either a Linux-Unix server or a
Microsoft server. The two server types differ in what they will do.
The Linux server I am on has several preinstalled scripts for various
things that you turn on only if you want them. On the control panel
there is a section called CGI-Wizard. Below is a very brief
description of what you can turn on:

Edit Counter preinstalled script
Features include: blocking multiple hits from the same user, insertion
of commas, text-based or graphical modes, support for multiple
counters from the same script, and tracking users' browsers, operating
systems, and location. (requires SSI or GD.pm)

Edit Guestbook preinstalled script
Extropia's WebGuestbook is "configurable so that you can specify what
your guestbook file looks like and how the script-generated responses
are displayed. Most of the configuration takes little more than a
knowledge of HTML, so it is fairly easy to use. In addition, the user
can select a range of posts based on age in days, and choose to see."

Edit FormMail preinstalled script
FormMail is a generic WWW form to e-mail gateway, which will parse the
results of any form and send them to the specified user. This script
has many formatting and operational options, most of which can be
specified through the form, meaning you don't need any programming
knowledge or multiple scripts for multiple forms. This also makes
FormMail a perfect system-wide solution for allowing users form-based
user feedback capabilities without the risks of allowing freedom of
CGI access.

Edit Chat preinstalled script
WebChat is a useful application that allows a number of people on the
World Wide Web to talk to one another simultaneously. The ability to
chat on the Web can be a quick way to hold a virtual meeting.

Edit phpBB

You just select on or off buttons for any of these. In some cases you
have to edit what features you wish to include. The host has detailed
instructions on their site giving the details. In some cases, you do
nothing to your web pages - everything is done on the server. In other
cases some code may be required on the web page which will be
described by the host's documentation.

For those who own their own server, you can install your own scripts,
but this requires considerable knowledge of the server and server side
code.

joesplink

I operate a web page for my church, and I am trying to find out whether it
is possible for me to write a simple html command to insert a hit counter
onto the web page. I don't know how counters are made, just that some people
are selling these as software. Is this as simple as placing a command on
the page, or does a certain web server actually have to host a counter?
Thanks, Dale

Go to www.sitemeter.com

They have a free sitemeter .... nothing to it.... works well.