Can I write to another window/frame that has no 'src'

Folks,

I am specifically using an IFRAME but am also interested if this is
possible via a window opened using window.open

Basically - I have a popup window that I use for uploads - When an image
is uploaded, I have my PHP server create a thumbnail - I would like my
popup window to write to the iframe window and display the popup.

My <IFRAME> does not have a source tag - I know it could and it would
solve my problem but I'm wondering if there is another method that would
not involve a seperate file for the source tag.

lastly - the reason why I'm using an IFRAME is to make several uploads
more 'viewable' via a scroll bar.

Can anyone tell me if what I want to do is possible - and if so, perhaps
provide an example?

Thanks
randell d.

Martin Honnen

Reply said:
I am specifically using an IFRAME but am also interested if this is
possible via a window opened using window.open

Basically - I have a popup window that I use for uploads - When an image
is uploaded, I have my PHP server create a thumbnail - I would like my
popup window to write to the iframe window and display the popup.

My <IFRAME> does not have a source tag - I know it could and it would
solve my problem but I'm wondering if there is another method that would
not involve a seperate file for the source tag.

lastly - the reason why I'm using an IFRAME is to make several uploads
more 'viewable' via a scroll bar.

Can anyone tell me if what I want to do is possible - and if so, perhaps
provide an example?

Hopefully you can script
window.frames.iframeName.location.href
as long as you have
<iframe name="iframeName"></iframe>
but I haven't tried with various browsers

Ivo

My <IFRAME> does not have a source tag - I know it could and it would
solve my problem but I'm wondering if there is another method that would
not involve a seperate file for the source tag.

<iframe name="dynamicframe" src="javascript:'Hang on.'">
works with all popular browsers. It defines a src, and provides a waiting
message (could serve as a noscript alternative), yet does not call on any
server.
HTH
Ivo

Martin said:
Hopefully you can script
window.frames.iframeName.location.href
as long as you have
<iframe name="iframeName"></iframe>
but I haven't tried with various browsers

Thanks for the help - but not really what I was looking for as that
would still set the frame/popup window to point to a url on the server
(which is not what I wanted - I wanted to have my parent script contain
code that could do whatever I wanted into the frame).

Cheers
Randell D.

Ivo said:
<iframe name="dynamicframe" src="javascript:'Hang on.'">
works with all popular browsers. It defines a src, and provides a waiting
message (could serve as a noscript alternative), yet does not call on any
server.
HTH
Ivo

I've read somewhere that using "javascript:" is not recommended, despite
the fact that you are true in saying that it works on most popular browsers.

I guess I'll just have to have a server based html file.

Thanks for the help though,
randell d.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

I've read somewhere that using "javascript:" is not recommended,
despite the fact that you are true in saying that it works on most
popular browsers.

The problem with it is that it works in most popular browser *if*
javascript is enabled. Most statistics show that that rules out
around 10% of the potential visitors.

/L