    no follow-ups set, please set them as you see
    appropriate.)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 13, 2006

  2. Andrew Thompson

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:28:41 +0100, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote:

    > Can JMF be deployed using webstart? My experiments*
    > suggest yes, but I am after more test results..
    >
    > * The page linking the test launch file (JNLP)
    > <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/>
    >
    > (Note, x-posted to c.l.j.programmer and help -
    > no follow-ups set, please set them as you see
    > appropriate.)
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Andrew, just tried this on my Intel Mac that has never had JMF installed.
    I see the frame and in the top left corner, after loading, it has a very
    small movie clip of what looks like clouds moving across some hills. Is
    the movie clip supposed to fill the frame?

    OK, I just tried to resize the frame and the clip expands to fill it and
    now I can see what it is. Where is that? Somewhere in Australia?

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk
    Daniel Dyer, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Daniel Dyer wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:28:41 +0100, Andrew Thompson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Can JMF be deployed using webstart?

    > > * The page linking the test launch file (JNLP)
    > > <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/>

    > Andrew, just tried this on my Intel Mac that has never had JMF installed.
    > I see the frame and in the top left corner, after loading, it has a very
    > small movie clip of what looks like clouds moving across some hills. Is
    > the movie clip supposed to fill the frame?

    Wow! I had 'kinda' hoped that jar did not include
    Win. specific classes, and might work on some *nix
    boxes - but had never dared hope it would work on a
    Mac.! Mac' is where the JMF is weakest.

    OTOH - it probably comes down to careful choice
    of format (the MOV's were made using the JMF classes).

    > OK, I just tried to resize the frame and the clip expands to fill it and
    > now I can see what it is.

    Yes. Now this has gone beyond "one guy's
    crazed ravings", I shall need to fix that.

    ...Possibly even do something about caching those
    enormous media files. (I just blew the last of my
    100 Meg download limit for this month - it's 28.8K
    till October!)

    >..Where is that? Somewhere in Australia?

    Yep. Bald Hill, NSW (just south of Sydney), looking
    south over (the top of) Stanwell Park - the focus is the
    cloud, which I only caught in the edge of the frame.

    Thanks for the test results. :)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Can JMF be deployed using webstart? My experiments*
    > suggest yes, but I am after more test results..
    >
    > * The page linking the test launch file (JNLP)
    > <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/>

    Silly me. When I posted that, I was under the false
    impression that the JMF could not be 'run from URL's
    within a sandbox'.

    The third example shown here..
    <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/#test2>
    suggests otherwise. I simply call the main of JMStudio
    with the URL, from within a sandboxed webstart launch
    file.

    Note that while it does not throw security exceptions,
    I still have not seen an entire video load and play this way,
    opening them from within the player* itself, seems more
    successful.

    I also posted the links to the media used (which
    now includes a tiny test MOV of just over 200Kb), as
    well as links to other MPEG's, MP3's and WAV's.
    The media files are listed here..
    <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/#test2>

    * Simply launch JMStudio and Ctrl 'u' to open an URL.

    After all and any more test results. Note that for the
    sandboxed JMStudio, you do not need to accept
    code signed by some guy claiming to be Andrew
    Thompson.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 15, 2006
  5. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Can JMF be deployed using webstart? My experiments*
    > suggest yes, but I am after more test results..
    >
    > * The page linking the test launch file (JNLP)
    > <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/>

    A more interesting example - the JMF Performance Pack.
    <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/#test3>

    Seems to work on Win., untested on *nix, false advertising
    for the Mac. (there is no PP for the Mac., so it gets standard
    JMF + the soundbank.gm).

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 16, 2006
  6. Andrew Thompson

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 22:53:30 +0100, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> Can JMF be deployed using webstart? My experiments*
    >> suggest yes, but I am after more test results..
    >>
    >> * The page linking the test launch file (JNLP)
    >> <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/>

    > A more interesting example - the JMF Performance Pack.
    > <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/#test3>
    >
    > Seems to work on Win., untested on *nix, false advertising
    > for the Mac. (there is no PP for the Mac., so it gets standard
    > JMF + the soundbank.gm).
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Just tried it on my laptop (PC), which is running Ubuntu Linux. The JWS
    dialog comes up and starts downloading but then an error dialog comes up
    with the message "Unable to launch JM Studio - Performance Pack". Looks
    like a config problem because the JWS dialog looks like it's trying to
    load a file from the local D: drive (which obviously doesn't exist on
    Linux). The text in the JWS dialog is:

    Requested file:/D:/projects/jmf/player/lib/linux-natives.jar
    Failed to load resource

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk
    Daniel Dyer, Sep 16, 2006
  7. Daniel Dyer wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 22:53:30 +0100, Andrew Thompson
    > <> wrote:

    > > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > >> Can JMF be deployed using webstart? My experiments*
    > >> suggest yes, but I am after more test results..

    (JMF - Performance Pack)
    > > <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/#test3>

    > Just tried it on my laptop (PC), which is running Ubuntu Linux. The JWS
    > dialog comes up and starts downloading but then an error dialog comes up
    > with the message "Unable to launch JM Studio - Performance Pack".

    > Requested file:/D:/projects/jmf/player/lib/linux-natives.jar
    > Failed to load resource

    Damn! Sorry about that. I have two versions that I
    have been using for testing, kludgily changing the
    codebase between local and server testing.

    The altered JNLP (requesting files from the real live server)
    has been uploaded.

    *But* now I'm getting the message 'corrupted jar file' on the
    Win natives Jar - I suspect that whatever I've done wrong with
    that is common to the other jars for the *nix natives.

    Hold on further testing till I look more closely into it.

    (Shrugs - unless you are bored, and have bandwidth to burn!)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 17, 2006
  8. Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > (JMF - Performance Pack)
    > > > <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/#test3>

    > ...now I'm getting the message 'corrupted jar file' on the
    > Win natives Jar - I suspect that whatever I've done wrong with
    > that is common to the other jars for the *nix natives.
    >
    > Hold on further testing till I look more closely into it.

    The 'corrupted jar file' turned out to be a corrupted webstart
    cache on this PC. I started a new cache, and now the Win.
    version loads and runs successfully.

    We are 'set to go' for further testing.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 24, 2006
  9. Daniel Dyer wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:28:41 +0100, Andrew Thompson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Can JMF be deployed using webstart?

    > Andrew, just tried this on my Intel Mac that has never had JMF installed.

    Now I have tried something still more ambitious, and perhaps
    even a little insane.

    I figure the Mac. can use the Linux based Shared Objects,
    so I have attached them to what I hope is a 'Performance Pack'
    JMF for the Mac (and the others).

    <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/#test5>

    This installation (should you choose to accept it) should
    be relatively well hidden from the other, but to be sure of
    no problems, it might be best to uninstall the earlier
    'JMStudio - Performance Pack' application from the
    WebStart manager first - perhaps even more so because
    the launch files have identical program titles (and will
    appear the same name in any uninstall screen!).

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 5, 2006
  10. Daniel Dyer wrote:
    > ...tried this on my Intel Mac ..

    As an aside, what does that box return for..
    os.name / os.arch ?
    Ala, <http://lopica.sourceforge.net/os.html>

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 5, 2006
  11. Andrew Thompson

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:34:02 +0100, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote:

    > Daniel Dyer wrote:
    > ..
    >> ...tried this on my Intel Mac ..

    > As an aside, what does that box return for..
    > os.name / os.arch ?
    > Ala, <http://lopica.sourceforge.net/os.html>
    >
    > Andrew T.

    java.runtime.name: Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
    java.vm.version: 1.5.0_06-64
    java.vm.vendor: "Apple Computer, Inc."
    java.runtime.version: 1.5.0_06-112
    os.arch: i386
    os.name: Mac OS X
    os.version: 10.4.7
    java.version: 1.5.0_06
    java.vendor: Apple Computer, Inc.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org
    Daniel Dyer, Oct 5, 2006
  12. Andrew Thompson

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:01:28 +0100, Andrew Thompson
    <> wrote:

    > Daniel Dyer wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:28:41 +0100, Andrew Thompson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Can JMF be deployed using webstart?

    >> Andrew, just tried this on my Intel Mac that has never had JMF
    >> installed.

    > Now I have tried something still more ambitious, and perhaps
    > even a little insane.
    >
    > I figure the Mac. can use the Linux based Shared Objects,
    > so I have attached them to what I hope is a 'Performance Pack'
    > JMF for the Mac (and the others).
    >
    > <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/#test5>

    I'm not convinced that it should work, but I don't know anything about the
    native libraries used by Macs. If it does work it will only be on
    Intel-based Macs.

    What am I supposed to see? I don't get any errors and I do get the little
    JMStudio window show up and do nothing.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org
    Daniel Dyer, Oct 5, 2006
  13. Daniel Dyer wrote:
    (re. <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/#test5> / Mac)

    > What am I supposed to see? I don't get any errors and I do get the little
    > JMStudio window show up and do nothing.

    OK - the two formats most of interest (those that
    will tell me most) are..

    1) .mpg - These supposedly can be loaded by the *nix/Win
    boxes, but not Macs.

    There are a number of MPEG's ranging from 4-9 Meg.
    available at <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/midi/>,
    see <http://www.physci.org/test/anims/faves.html> for
    description.

    Each loads and plays OK in the Win. version, though
    in each one, the 'progress bar' maxes out before the
    animation is more than 1/4 complete - but they do play
    through to the end as I recall them.

    Given the size, it might be best to test on any MPG's you
    have on the local file system - unfortunately I do not seem
    to have any smaller MPG's lying around..

    2) .mid - these files are listed* as 'not supported' for Mac. at all,
    but I am guessing that with the addition of the soundbank,
    and with the sound API being included in Java 1.3+, they
    will load and play.

    There are several small MIDI files at..
    <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/midi/> & I just confirmed that..
    <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jmf/midi/EclipseH.mid>
    ...loads and plays OK in the Win. version.

    * In the JMF list of 'supported formats' at..
    <http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/formats.html>

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 6, 2006