can not create web-project

cmrchs

Hello,

I installed Visual Studio 2008 last week, created a web project and
could run it.

I had to deinstall it for some problems I had, installed it again, try
to create a new web-project but now VS2008 comes up with the message
"unable to create website... you must install IIS, ASP.NET, ..."

I check in Control Panel\Installed programs and see that the WebPart
of VS2008 is installed.
As well when i restart the VS2008 DVD and go the Add/Remove features
of the installation, i see that Visual Web Developer is checked.

What went wrong during my instalation?
What do i have to do so I can create web-projects again?

I have Windows Vista Home Premium for which IIS is not installed by
default. Still i managed to run a web-project the first time. Am i
correct to assume then that IIS is not necessary cause VS2008 is
performing some trick?

thank you
Chris

Mark Fitzpatrick

Did you try to create a web site or a web application project? There is a
big difference between the two and that may be the problem and they both
follow different paths for creation. The Web Site project is created through
File | New | Web Site. The Web Application Project is created through File |
New | Project | VB or C# | Web | Web Application Project. I had trouble once
or twice playing with the web site project with similar results.

IIS is not necessary, but it is more robust and sometimes things that work
with IIS don't work with the VS test web server (and vice-a-versa).

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression