Can python (CPython) and IPython coexist normally on the same computer ?

scoop

I know I could just try to install it and see, but I've got my
configuration just right, so I don't want to mess it up (maybe) with
IPython.

Also, can someone please point me to some page where I can find
differences between C and I Python. I'm learning Python using
"Learning python" (figures :), so I was wondering - what are the
practical differences between the two ? If I start with IPython, will
I be able to switch to CPython later, or will I have trouble with that
? Does IPython supports standard libraries like numpy and matplotlib ?

Greetings to all of you who actually read all of this, and got this
far :)
Hope all is well,
Scoop

Chris Rebert

I know I could just try to install it and see, but I've got my
configuration just right, so I don't want to mess it up (maybe) with
IPython.

Also, can someone please point me to some page where I can find
differences between C and I Python. I'm learning Python using
"Learning python" (figures :), so I was wondering - what are the
practical differences between the two ? If I start with IPython, will
I be able to switch to CPython later, or will I have trouble with that
? Does IPython supports standard libraries like numpy and matplotlib ?

ipython is just an improved Python shell (interactive
interpreter/REPL), not an alternate Python implementation. As far as I
know, it is based on CPython and normally requires CPython to operate.

Cheers,
Chris

John Machin

I know I could just try to install it and see, but I've got my
configuration just right, so I don't want to mess it up (maybe) with
IPython.

Also, can someone please point me to some page where I can find
differences between C and I Python. I'm learning Python using
"Learning python" (figures :), so I was wondering - what are the
practical differences between the two ? If I start with IPython, will
I be able to switch to CPython later, or will I have trouble with that
? Does IPython supports standard libraries like numpy and matplotlib ?

Do you mean this IPython:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPython
or do you mean Iron Python:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IronPython

IPython is a front-end for the CPython interpretor, as is IDLE, etc.
"differences", "switch to" and "supports standard libraries" are
rather meaningless questions.

Iron Python is an alternative implementation of a Python interpreter,
whose target is the .NET/Mono platform. It supports standard libraries
written in Python. I believe there is a project called Ironclad whose
aim is to be able to use libraries written in C/C++ (like numpy) but
this is not available yet.

HTH
John

scoop

Do you mean this IPython:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPython
or do you mean Iron Python:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IronPython

IPython is a front-end for the CPython interpretor, as is IDLE, etc.
"differences", "switch to" and "supports standard libraries" are
rather meaningless questions.

Iron Python is an alternative implementation of a Python interpreter,
whose target is the .NET/Mono platform. It supports standard libraries
written in Python. I believe there is a project called Ironclad whose
aim is to be able to use libraries written in C/C++ (like numpy) but
this is not available yet.

Oh, sorry. I didn't know Ipython existed, so I (rather foolishly)
abbreviated Iron Python into IPython.
So generally, yes, my questions were aimed at Iron python. So what
you're saying is there are still some complications about using numpy
and matplotlib in Iron ?

scoop

John Machin

Oh, sorry. I didn't know Ipython existed, so I (rather foolishly)
abbreviated Iron Python into IPython.
So generally, yes, my questions were aimed at Iron python. So what
you're saying is there are still some complications about using numpy
and matplotlib in Iron ?

It seems that your googler is broken. While you are waiting for
someone to fix it for you, browse this:
http://ironpython.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=FAQ&referringTitle=Home
and search the rather long page for "Numpy" (without the quotes).