    far :)
    Hope all is well,
    Scoop

    scoop, Mar 11, 2009

  2. scoop

    Chris Rebert Guest

    Re: Can python (CPython) and IPython coexist normally on the samecomputer ?

    On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM, scoop <> wrote:
    > I know I could just try to install it and see, but I've got my
    > configuration just right, so I don't want to mess it up (maybe) with
    > IPython.
    >
    > Also, can someone please point me to some page where I can find
    > differences between C and I Python. I'm learning Python using
    > "Learning python" (figures :), so I was wondering - what are the
    > practical differences between the two ? If I start with IPython, will
    > I be able to switch to CPython later, or will I have trouble with that
    > ? Does IPython supports standard libraries like numpy and matplotlib ?

    ipython is just an improved Python shell (interactive
    interpreter/REPL), not an alternate Python implementation. As far as I
    know, it is based on CPython and normally requires CPython to operate.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    --
    I have a blog:
    http://blog.rebertia.com

    Chris Rebert, Mar 12, 2009

  3. scoop

    John Machin Guest

    On Mar 12, 10:17 am, scoop <> wrote:
    > I know I could just try to install it and see, but I've got my
    > configuration just right, so I don't want to mess it up (maybe) with
    > IPython.
    >
    > Also, can someone please point me to some page where I can find
    > differences between C and I Python. I'm learning Python using
    > "Learning python" (figures :), so I was wondering - what are the
    > practical differences between the two ? If I start with IPython, will
    > I be able to switch to CPython later, or will I have trouble with that
    > ? Does IPython supports standard libraries like numpy and matplotlib ?

    Do you mean this IPython:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPython
    or do you mean Iron Python:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IronPython

    IPython is a front-end for the CPython interpretor, as is IDLE, etc.
    "differences", "switch to" and "supports standard libraries" are
    rather meaningless questions.

    Iron Python is an alternative implementation of a Python interpreter,
    whose target is the .NET/Mono platform. It supports standard libraries
    written in Python. I believe there is a project called Ironclad whose
    aim is to be able to use libraries written in C/C++ (like numpy) but
    this is not available yet.

    HTH
    John

    John Machin, Mar 12, 2009
  4. scoop

    scoop Guest

    Re: Can python (CPython) and IPython coexist normally on the same computer ?

    On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:20:09 -0700 (PDT), John Machin
    <> wrote:

    >Do you mean this IPython:
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPython
    >or do you mean Iron Python:
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IronPython
    >
    >IPython is a front-end for the CPython interpretor, as is IDLE, etc.
    >"differences", "switch to" and "supports standard libraries" are
    >rather meaningless questions.
    >
    >Iron Python is an alternative implementation of a Python interpreter,
    >whose target is the .NET/Mono platform. It supports standard libraries
    >written in Python. I believe there is a project called Ironclad whose
    >aim is to be able to use libraries written in C/C++ (like numpy) but
    >this is not available yet.

    Oh, sorry. I didn't know Ipython existed, so I (rather foolishly)
    abbreviated Iron Python into IPython.
    So generally, yes, my questions were aimed at Iron python. So what
    you're saying is there are still some complications about using numpy
    and matplotlib in Iron ?

    scoop

    scoop, Mar 12, 2009
  5. scoop

    John Machin Guest

    On Mar 12, 11:57 am, scoop <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:20:09 -0700 (PDT), John Machin
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >Do you mean this IPython:
    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPython
    > >or do you mean Iron Python:
    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IronPython

    > >IPython is a front-end for the CPython interpretor, as is IDLE, etc.
    > >"differences", "switch to" and "supports standard libraries" are
    > >rather meaningless questions.

    > >Iron Python is an alternative implementation of a Python interpreter,
    > >whose target is the .NET/Mono platform. It supports standard libraries
    > >written in Python. I believe there is a project called Ironclad whose
    > >aim is to be able to use libraries written in C/C++ (like numpy) but
    > >this is not available yet.

    > Oh, sorry. I didn't know Ipython existed, so I (rather foolishly)
    > abbreviated Iron Python into IPython.
    > So generally, yes, my questions were aimed at Iron python. So what
    > you're saying is there are still some complications about using numpy
    > and matplotlib in Iron ?

    It seems that your googler is broken. While you are waiting for
    someone to fix it for you, browse this:
    http://ironpython.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=FAQ&referringTitle=Home
    and search the rather long page for "Numpy" (without the quotes).

    John Machin, Mar 12, 2009