    Lets suppose, I want a listing of what hardware and software is
    installed on my
    windows box. Can I do that with Python?
    walterbyrd, Apr 30, 2007

  2. walterbyrd

    Guest

    On Apr 30, 10:47 am, walterbyrd <> wrote:
    > Lets suppose, I want a listing of what hardware and software is
    > installed on my
    > windows box. Can I do that with Python?

    Yes, it is possible for Windows. I don't know how to grab the info for
    other OS's though. There is a caveat that is annoying. If the software
    doesn't put itself into the registry somehow, it is much harder to
    discover if it is indeed installed.

    For hardware, you'll need the WMI module and the win32 module. For the
    computer memory and the name of the PC, see below:

    c = wmi.WMI()
    for i in c.Win32_ComputerSystem():
    mem = int(i.TotalPhysicalMemory)
    compname = i.Name

    For the CPU:

    for i in c.Win32_Processor ():
    cputype = i.Name

    For other cool WMI tricks: http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi_cookbook.html

    For the majority of the software on your system, you'll want to
    iterate over the following registry key (and its subkeys) using the
    _winreg module and WMI's Registry() function:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    Some code that worked for me (may need modification for your setup):

    from _winreg import HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, KEY_ALL_ACCESS, OpenKey,
    EnumValue, QueryValueEx

    r = wmi.Registry ()
    result, names = r.EnumKey (hDefKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
    sSubKeyName=r"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall")
    for subkey in names:
    try:
    appFile.write('++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++\n\n')
    key = OpenKey(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
    r"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Uninstall\%s" % subkey,0, KEY_ALL_ACCESS)
    try:
    temp = QueryValueEx(key, 'DisplayName')
    display = str(temp[0])
    appFile.write('Display Name: ' + display + '\nRegkey: ' +
    subkey + '\n')
    except:
    appFile.write('Regkey: ' + subkey + '\n')
    except:
    print 'Error opening key'

    # appFile is where I write the list to. You can just print to console.

    That should get you going.

    Mike
    , Apr 30, 2007