Can Roundup do this...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Donald 'Paddy' McCarthy, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. For Hardware design we jave a very high cost associated with releasing a
    design for manufacturing (around $1M), so one of the things we do is
    simulate like crazy, and graph bugs found and bugs fixed versus time. By
    looking at the graph we gain more information on the health of our design.

    I am looking at tools to more automate the bug tracking process that are
    'lightweight' ie easy to administer but that also help with the graph
    creation process.

    After looking at a lot of tools, my python bias kicked in - almost al
    the tools I looked at did not have graphing functionality. I also
    couldn't find it in Roundup but, Since I can create the graphs from a
    spreadsheet, I need to know if Roundup can create say csv files of any
    or all fields (bug ID, time bug entered, current state of bug, time bug
    reached that state, as well as others).

    I could then set up a flow where we could dump the data and create our
    graphs on a weekly basis all in less than 20 minutes (hopefully).

    If you ask why if were paying so much to make a chip we haven't got the
    reporting sown up then, we do have reporting system(s) but in our large
    company these systems are installed and geared to report on different
    aspects of the product lifecycle. We want to track from a much earlier
    point in the life cycle, for a single project team at a single site, and
    in a more 'agile' way. We don't want too much external burocracy
    involved in deciding what is reported and to whome. We are given local
    targets and this is to help us achieve them, for the benefit of the
    company as a whole, but 'it's a local thing', the price I pay for that
    control is that we have to impliment and show its benefits whilst doing
    our normal jobs.

    (OK, OK the real reason is that were a perl house! Can you believe it,
    I'd like to show them something working then when management are
    praising the results, have its implimentation details slip out.
    <RANT smiley="TRUE">
    Can you believe it. They are giving in-house courses in Object Oriented
    perl at our main site! Ive had to build on the perl they produce at the
    moment - a tough job, and now they want to create OO perl?!
    I'm going to have to re-think my approach to sneaking python in to the
    company
    </RANT>

    Cheers, Paddy.
    Donald 'Paddy' McCarthy, Oct 10, 2003

  2. >>> "Donald 'Paddy' McCarthy" wrote

    > After looking at a lot of tools, my python bias kicked in - almost al
    > the tools I looked at did not have graphing functionality. I also
    > couldn't find it in Roundup but, Since I can create the graphs from a
    > spreadsheet, I need to know if Roundup can create say csv files of any
    > or all fields (bug ID, time bug entered, current state of bug, time bug
    > reached that state, as well as others).

    Yep, it can do this. Look into "roundup-admin export"

    Anthony
    --
    Anthony Baxter <>
    Anthony Baxter, Oct 10, 2003

  3. On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:21:26 +0100
    Donald 'Paddy' McCarthy <> wrote regarding Can Roundup do this...:

    > After looking at a lot of tools, my python bias kicked in - almost al
    > the tools I looked at did not have graphing functionality.

    Exporting to Excel via cvs will probably give you all the graphs you need. If you wanted to generate graphs directly in Python, you might want to try Dislin.

    >From the Dislin home page: "DISLIN is a high-level plotting library for displaying data as curves, polar plots, bar graphs, pie charts, 3D-color plots, surfaces, contours and maps."

    (http://www.linmpi.mpg.de/dislin/)

    You should be aware that Dislin is _almost_ free. There are some combinations of operating system and compilers (eg: some Fortrans and C commercial compilers) which require purchasing a license. But for Python, the home page explains that, "The DISLIN plotting extensions for Java, Python and Perl and the DISLIN interpreter DISGCL can be used freely on all operating systems."

    Dislin may be overkill for your application, but I thought I'd pass on the info just in case you weren't aware of it.

    Regards,
    Bill
    (not associated with Dislin)
    William Trenker, Oct 15, 2003
  4. William Trenker <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:21:26 +0100
    > Donald 'Paddy' McCarthy <> wrote regarding Can Roundup do this...:
    >
    > > After looking at a lot of tools, my python bias kicked in - almost al
    > > the tools I looked at did not have graphing functionality.

    > Exporting to Excel via cvs will probably give you all the graphs you need. If you wanted to generate graphs directly in Python, you might want to try Dislin.
    >
    > >From the Dislin home page: "DISLIN is a high-level plotting library for displaying data as curves, polar plots, bar graphs, pie charts, 3D-color plots, surfaces, contours and maps."

    > (http://www.linmpi.mpg.de/dislin/)
    >
    > You should be aware that Dislin is _almost_ free. There are some combinations of operating system and compilers (eg: some Fortrans and C commercial compilers) which require purchasing a license. But for Python, the home page explains that, "The DISLIN plotting extensions for Java, Python and Perl and the DISLIN interpreter DISGCL can be used freely on all operating systems."
    >
    > Dislin may be overkill for your application, but I thought I'd pass on the info just in case you weren't aware of it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bill
    > (not associated with Dislin)

    Thanks Bill for your pointer to Dislin. Your right, I do think its a
    bit too much for my application. I think the ploticus package shows
    promise:
    http://ploticus.sourceforge.net/

    - work goes on...
    Paddy McCarthy, Oct 15, 2003