    index Guest

    hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
    and beginning with letter "Y"?
    index, May 5, 2006

    James McGill Guest

    Re: can someone figure out a word about data structures andbeginning with letter "Y"?

    On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 00:50 -0700, index wrote:
    > hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
    > and beginning with letter "Y"?

    Best I can do is "Yen's improvement to the Bellman-Ford Algorithm".
    James McGill, May 5, 2006

  3. Thomas Weidenfeller, May 5, 2006

    vjg Guest

    Re: can someone figure out a word about data structures and beginning with letter "Y"?

    YashMap

    vjg, May 5, 2006

    Chris Smith Guest

    index <> wrote:
    > hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
    > and beginning with letter "Y"?

    yalpS eerT

    Okay, that's all I got.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, May 5, 2006

    Eric Sosman Guest

    index wrote On 05/05/06 03:50,:
    > hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
    > and beginning with letter "Y"?

    Someone did, apparently quite a long time ago:

    ``Many people who realized the importance of stacks
    and queues independently have given other names to
    these structures: stacks have been called push-down
    lists, reversion storages, cellars, nesting stores,
    piles, last-in-first-out ("LIFO") lists, and even
    yo-yo lists!''

    -- D.E. Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming,
    Volume I: Fundamental Algorithms," Section 2.2.1
    "Stacks, Queues, and Deques"

    Eric Sosman, May 5, 2006

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 15:06:52 -0400, Eric Sosman <>

    >``Many people who realized the importance of stacks
    > and queues independently have given other names to
    > these structures: stacks have been called push-down
    > lists, reversion storages, cellars, nesting stores,
    > piles, last-in-first-out ("LIFO") lists, and even
    > yo-yo lists!''

    In earlier times there was much less communication between
    programmers. You invented everything yourself from scratch. So many
    people likely invented the stack independently and had to think up a
    name for it.

    I am trying to remember what my term for "HashMap" was. It might have
    been something like "lookup" or "lookup chain" or "quick lookup". I
    called "radixsort" "Digisort". I called "circular buffer" "squirrel
    cage" a Delegate was a "skeleton".

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, May 6, 2006
  8. Re: can someone figure out a word about data structures and beginning with letter "Y"?

    A "word about data structures"?

    Not a word that is a name of a data structure?

    The word that comes to mind is: "Yes" as in "Yes, do use data
    structures when programming".

    ----

    In financial programming you may want a "Yield curve".

    Ever seen an intro to OO start with a model of a car? how about a
    "yacht"?

    Code running on airplane may model a "yoke".

    These last three are... not humurous...

    Cheers,
    Opalinski

    http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/
    opalinski from opalpaweb, May 6, 2006

    index Guest

    Re: can someone figure out a word about data structures and beginning with letter "Y"?

    some word related with data structures, plz.
    index, May 6, 2006

    Chris Uppal Guest

    index wrote:

    > hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
    > and beginning with letter "Y"?

    For a crossword, or quiz, or some other form of wordplay, I presume.

    Open any good book on algorithms and data structures, and turn to the index.
    Look under 'Y', and you'll find...

    ....Well, not a lot, to be honest.

    Knuth mentions "Yo-Yo lists" (an old term for what we now usually call stacks
    or LIFO queues), and "Young tableaux" (something to do with matrices and
    permutations).

    "Numerical Recipies in C" mentions the "Yale Matrix Package" (but that's
    cheating).

    Other than that, not one of my algorithm books mentioned anything except proper
    names. Several didn't even have a 'Y' section in their indexes.

    There are several colour-spaces with names starting with 'Y', but hardly seems
    relevant. Equally irrelevant, probably, is the 'y-enc' (or 'Y-encoding') used
    as an alternative to Base64 encoding for some Usent posts (anyone know where
    that is defined ? I couldn't find a thing.)

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, May 6, 2006

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 6 May 2006 11:48:50 +0100, "Chris Uppal"
    <-THIS.org> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    quoted someone who said :

    >Knuth mentions "Yo-Yo lists" (an old term for what we now usually call stacks
    >or LIFO queues), and "Young tableaux" (something to do with matrices and
    >permutations).

    This reminds me of what happened at BC Hydro when the efficiency
    experts decided to take away the secretaries and use a central typing
    pool using a computer controlled telephone system to do the dictation.

    My boss's dictation for "Young's modulus of elasticity" came back
    "Little nodules of electricity"
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, May 6, 2006

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Chris Uppal" <-THIS.org> wrote in message

    > the 'y-enc' (or 'Y-encoding') used
    > as an alternative to Base64 encoding for some Usent posts (anyone know
    > where
    > that is defined ? I couldn't find a thing.)

    http://www.yenc.org/

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, May 11, 2006

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Oliver Wong wrote:

    [me:]
    > > the 'y-enc' (or 'Y-encoding') used
    > > as an alternative to Base64 encoding for some Usent posts (anyone know
    > > where that is defined ? I couldn't find a thing.)

    > http://www.yenc.org/

    Thank you.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, May 11, 2006
  14. "Chris Uppal" <-THIS.org> wrote in message
    > Oliver Wong wrote:
    >
    > [me:]
    >> > the 'y-enc' (or 'Y-encoding') used
    >> > as an alternative to Base64 encoding for some Usent posts (anyone know
    >> > where that is defined ? I couldn't find a thing.)

    >> http://www.yenc.org/

    > Thank you.

    Downloading porn? LOL j/k

    Get PAN for Linux or Agent for Windows and be sure to learn the keyboard
    shortcuts.

    Combining multipart attachments is pretty easy they just "glue" together.
    I've considered writing a simple Java app to do it, but it is too easy to do
    (in windows) just from the command prompt.

    --
    LTP

    :)
    Luc The Perverse, May 11, 2006

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Luc The Perverse wrote:

    > > > http://www.yenc.org/

    > > Thank you.

    > Downloading porn?

    Good Lord, no!

    Not at all...

    Oh my, no...

    ....I only wanted to read the spec.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, May 11, 2006

    >> > Thank you.

    >> Downloading porn?

    > Good Lord, no!
    >
    > Not at all...
    >
    > Oh my, no...
    >
    > ...I only wanted to read the spec.

    And I only want to read the editorials in Playboy Magazine. ;)

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, May 11, 2006