can someone figure out a word about data structures and beginning with letter "Y"?

hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
and beginning with letter "Y"?

James McGill

hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
and beginning with letter "Y"?

Best I can do is "Yen's improvement to the Bellman-Ford Algorithm".

Chris Smith

index said:
hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
and beginning with letter "Y"?

yalpS eerT

Okay, that's all I got.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Eric Sosman

index wrote On 05/05/06 03:50,:
hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
and beginning with letter "Y"?

Someone did, apparently quite a long time ago:

``Many people who realized the importance of stacks
and queues independently have given other names to
these structures: stacks have been called push-down
lists, reversion storages, cellars, nesting stores,
piles, last-in-first-out ("LIFO") lists, and even
yo-yo lists!''

-- D.E. Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming,
Volume I: Fundamental Algorithms," Section 2.2.1
"Stacks, Queues, and Deques"

Roedy Green

``Many people who realized the importance of stacks
and queues independently have given other names to
these structures: stacks have been called push-down
lists, reversion storages, cellars, nesting stores,
piles, last-in-first-out ("LIFO") lists, and even
yo-yo lists!''

In earlier times there was much less communication between
programmers. You invented everything yourself from scratch. So many
people likely invented the stack independently and had to think up a
name for it.

I am trying to remember what my term for "HashMap" was. It might have
been something like "lookup" or "lookup chain" or "quick lookup". I
called "radixsort" "Digisort". I called "circular buffer" "squirrel
cage" a Delegate was a "skeleton".

opalpa

A "word about data structures"?

Not a word that is a name of a data structure?

The word that comes to mind is: "Yes" as in "Yes, do use data
structures when programming".

----

In financial programming you may want a "Yield curve".

Ever seen an intro to OO start with a model of a car? how about a
"yacht"?

Code running on airplane may model a "yoke".

These last three are... not humurous...

Cheers,
Opalinski
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/

Chris Uppal

index said:
hi. a funny thing. can someone figure out a word about data structures
and beginning with letter "Y"?

For a crossword, or quiz, or some other form of wordplay, I presume.

Open any good book on algorithms and data structures, and turn to the index.
Look under 'Y', and you'll find...

....Well, not a lot, to be honest.

Knuth mentions "Yo-Yo lists" (an old term for what we now usually call stacks
or LIFO queues), and "Young tableaux" (something to do with matrices and
permutations).

"Numerical Recipies in C" mentions the "Yale Matrix Package" (but that's
cheating).

Other than that, not one of my algorithm books mentioned anything except proper
names. Several didn't even have a 'Y' section in their indexes.

There are several colour-spaces with names starting with 'Y', but hardly seems
relevant. Equally irrelevant, probably, is the 'y-enc' (or 'Y-encoding') used
as an alternative to Base64 encoding for some Usent posts (anyone know where
that is defined ? I couldn't find a thing.)

-- chris

Roedy Green

Knuth mentions "Yo-Yo lists" (an old term for what we now usually call stacks
or LIFO queues), and "Young tableaux" (something to do with matrices and
permutations).

This reminds me of what happened at BC Hydro when the efficiency
experts decided to take away the secretaries and use a central typing
pool using a computer controlled telephone system to do the dictation.

My boss's dictation for "Young's modulus of elasticity" came back
"Little nodules of electricity"

Luc The Perverse

Chris Uppal said:
Oliver Wong wrote:

[me:]

Thank you.

Downloading porn? LOL j/k

Get PAN for Linux or Agent for Windows and be sure to learn the keyboard
shortcuts.

Combining multipart attachments is pretty easy they just "glue" together.
I've considered writing a simple Java app to do it, but it is too easy to do
(in windows) just from the command prompt.

Oliver Wong

Chris Uppal said:
Good Lord, no!

Not at all...

Oh my, no...

...I only wanted to read the spec.

And I only want to read the editorials in Playboy Magazine. ;)

- Oliver