can someone help me ???

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Thierry Schembri, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. I'm facing problems with webparts and login. Here is the situation :

    - Visual Studio .net 2005 Beta 2 on windows XP pro SP2
    - web site on windows server 2003 / IIS 6 + SQL Server 2005 Beta
    - ASP v2.0.50215 on both systems

    I would like to create a page with webparts, when I want to switch to
    DesignDisplayMode; I get the following error message :

    "The specified display mode is currently disabled on this page. Make sure
    personalization is enabled for the current user.
    Parameter name: value"

    It appears that personalization with webparts need to be logged (through a
    login asp.net component).

    Here comes the problem : to create users and roles, I have to use the web
    site administration tool (by clicking on the "ASP.Net configuration" in the
    Website menu). But, there's no "ASP.NET configuration" in that menu ! When I
    click on the "Administer Website" option in the popup of the login component
    to access to this tool, I get the error message : "Error invoking
    'Administer Website'. Details : Exception has been thrown by the target of
    invocation" (which exception ???).

    When I work on website locally (i.e. with the built-in visual studio web
    server) both options work and I can access to this tool, unfortunately, I
    can't work on the server.

    My question is : how to define users and roles without this tool ?

    I've created a sql server database to store users / roles / webparts
    personalization and registered it with aspnet_regsql. I've also change the
    "localSqlServer" connection string in the "ASP.NET" tab in the IIS
    properties to point onto this database. The tables have been created and are
    empty.

    Thanks in advance.
    Thierry Schembri, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Thierry Schembri

    Guest

    I'm having the same problem as you. I do not know the solution but I
    can confirm for you that web parts do require you to be logged in
    first. I look forward to hearing from you if you figure it out, or if
    anyone else has an answer.
    , Jul 8, 2005