Can someone write me a simple Perl script for a few bucks?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by mikeand1@comcast.net, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Can someone out there write me a little Perl script? It'd be a dead
    simple program, and I can pay you for your time and trouble.

    Basically all it has to do is look at the contents of a directory, and
    output a text file whose exact contents would depend on the names and
    numbers of files in that directory. Bonus points if it can do this for
    multiple subdirectories in a directory. I'll give you the specs for the
    file if you want to see it before taking on the job.

    This would be done on a Windows PC (I'd be working from DOS I suppose.)

    Anyone? This would probably take 10 minutes for a decent programmer to
    write, I suppose, but I'll pay $50, or whatever it's worth to you,
    within reasonable limits depending on how hard it is to do.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    , Feb 4, 2006

    wrote:
    > Can someone out there write me a little Perl script? It'd be a dead
    > simple program, and I can pay you for your time and trouble.

    http://jobs.perl.org is that way ->

    This is a place where free advice is offered to people who are trying
    to learn or use Perl.

    --
    http://DavidFilmer.com

    , Feb 4, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Can someone out there write me a little Perl script? It'd be a dead
    > simple program, and I can pay you for your time and trouble.
    >
    > Basically all it has to do is look at the contents of a directory,

    perldoc -f opendir
    perldoc -f readdir

    > and
    > output a text file

    > perldoc -f open

    > whose exact contents would depend on the names and
    > numbers of files in that directory.

    perldoc -f print

    > Bonus points if it can do this for
    > multiple subdirectories in a directory. I'll give you the specs for

    perldoc -f File::Find

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 4, 2006

    It's a little more complicated than that:

    You can assume the directory is called DirectoryName, and contains
    files of only two types: .txt files, and .tif files. The directory
    will contain files something like this:

    FileName1.txt
    FileName1.tif

    FileName2.txt
    FileName2.tif
    FileName3.tif
    FileName4.tif

    FileName5.txt
    FileName5.tif
    FileName6.tif
    FileName7.tif
    FileName8.tif

    There is always a .txt file associated with one or more .tif files.

    For example, FileName1.txt is obviously associated with FileName1.tif.

    But there are three .tif files associated with FileName2.txt:
    FileName2.tif, FileName3.tif, and FileName4.tif.

    And there are four .tif files associated with FileName5.txt:
    FileName5.tif, FileName6.tif, FileName7.tif, and FileName8.tif

    The name of a .txt file always corresponds exactly to the name of the
    first .tif file associated with it (excepting for the file extension,
    of course).

    There can be any number of .tif files associated with a .txt file. You
    can assume the .tif files associated with a .txt file are always
    numbered in sequence, starting with the number of the .txt file.

    However, you should assume that the number of .tif files associated
    with a .txt file increases with the number of .txt files, as in my
    example. The first .txt file might have five .tif files with it, the
    second .txt file might have only one .tif file associated with it, and
    so on.

    The outputted text file should have the following format for the above
    group of files:

    @FULLTEXT DOC

    ; Record 1
    @C BEGDOC# FileName1
    @C ENDDOC# FileName1
    @C PGCount 1
    @T FileName1
    @D @I\DirectoryName\
    FileName1.tif

    ; Record 2
    @C BEGDOC# FileName2
    @C ENDDOC# FileName4
    @C PGCount 3
    @T FileName2
    @D @I\DirectoryName\
    FileName2.tif
    FileName3.tif
    FileName4.tif

    ; Record 3
    @C BEGDOC# FileName5
    @C ENDDOC# FileName8
    @C PGCount 4
    @T FileName5
    @D @I\DirectoryName\
    FileName5.tif
    FileName6.tif
    FileName7.tif
    FileName8.tif

    You can see that after BEGDOC#, you put the file name corresponding to
    the first .tif file that corresponds to a .txt file, and after ENDDOC#,
    you put the name of the last .tif file corresponding to that .txt file.
    After PGCount, you put the number of .tif files that correspond to
    that .txt file. After @T, you put the name of the .txt file (minus the
    extension). And then below the @D file, you list all the .tif files
    that correspond to that .txt file.

    There can be any number of .txt files, sometimes quite large, and any
    (nonzero) number of .tif files associated with each .txt file.

    The outputted text file should be called DirectoryName.dii where
    DirectoryName is the name of the directory holding the files, as above.

    That's it.

    I have a large number of directories to process in this manner, so if
    you want to build a script that automatically searches for
    subdirectories containing files like this, and creates a .dii file for
    each such subdirectory, that'd be even better.

    , Feb 4, 2006

    OK, I posted it there too.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    , Feb 4, 2006
  6. Xicheng Guest

    wrote:
> [...]
    > @C PGCount 3
    > @T FileName2
    > @D @I\DirectoryName\
    > FileName2.tif
    > FileName3.tif
    > FileName4.tif
    >
    > ; Record 3
    > @C BEGDOC# FileName5
    > @C ENDDOC# FileName8
    > @C PGCount 4
    > @T FileName5
    > @D @I\DirectoryName\
    > FileName5.tif
    > FileName6.tif
    > FileName7.tif
    > FileName8.tif
    >
    > You can see that after BEGDOC#, you put the file name corresponding to
    > the first .tif file that corresponds to a .txt file, and after ENDDOC#,
    > you put the name of the last .tif file corresponding to that .txt file.
    > After PGCount, you put the number of .tif files that correspond to

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use warnings;
    use strict;
    use Data::Dumper;

    my $dirname = "My_dir";
    local $/='';
    my $record;
    print "\@FULLTEXT DOC\n";
    while(<DATA>) {
    my @a=();
    print "; Record $.\n";
    push @a,$1 while/^(.+?\.tif)$/mg;
    $a[0]=~/^(\w+?)\.tif$/ and print "\@C BEGDOC# $1\n";
    $a[$#a]=~/^(\w+?)\.tif$/ and print "\@C ENDDOC# $1\n";
    print "\@C PGCount ",scalar@a,"\n";
    /^(\w+)\.txt$/m and print "\@T $1\n";
    print "\@D \@T $dirname\n";
    print "$_\n" for@a ;
    print "\n";
    }
    __DATA__
    FileName1.txt
    FileName1.tif

    FileName2.txt
    FileName2.tif
    FileName3.tif
    FileName4.tif

    FileName5.txt
    FileName5.tif
    FileName6.tif
    FileName7.tif

    ========
    you can use GNU "find" to traverse your dir and subdir, and use perl to
    group filenames into the above form.. you may add dirname to each
    group, just use the similar ways to add into the code...
    Good luck,

    Xicheng

    Xicheng, Feb 4, 2006

    BTW, anyone who wants to do this and get paid should notify me first,
    so I don't get more than one person working on it.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    , Feb 4, 2006
  8. Keith Keller Guest

    On 2006-02-04, <> wrote:

    > I have a large number of directories to process in this manner, so if
    > you want to build a script

    ^^^

    If you are posting here, *you* are building the script. If you're
    posting job offers, you should not be posting here. Posting to
    both here and jobs.perl.org is impolite at best.

    --keith

    --
    -francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)

    Keith Keller, Feb 4, 2006

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > If you are posting here, *you* are building the script. If you're
    > posting job offers, you should not be posting here. Posting to
    > both here and jobs.perl.org is impolite at best.
    >
    > --keith

    OK - sorry, thought someone would want to make a couple bucks, didn't
    know the netiquette.

    Now people are responding to me, feel like I should say something back.

    , Feb 4, 2006

    Thanks - but isn't there some way to do this without having to put the
    _DATA_ in each perl script file?

    Each directory has a different set of files; the filenames I provided
    above was only an example. I'm trying to set it up to output these
    files automatically, not have to put the filenames in each script.

    Also -- how do I modify that script so that it outputs to a text file,
    as opposed to spitting out the text? I assume there's something like
    C's printf?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    , Feb 4, 2006
  11. Xicheng Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks - but isn't there some way to do this without having to put the
    > _DATA_ in each perl script file?

    sure, that "__DATA__" stuff is used to test code, you can use "open" to
    open a file for reading or writing:

    my $ifile = "input.dat";
    mu $ofile = "output.dat";

    open $ifh, '<', '$ifile' or die "cannot open input record file $ifile:
    $!";

    then replace:
    while(<DATA>) {
    with
    while (<$ifh>) {

    =====
    To write to a file

    open $ofh, '>', '$ofile' or die "cannot open output record file $ofile:
    $!";
    (you may need to check Perl references about the differences of
    read/write modes like '>', '<', '>>'....)
    then replace all
    print "a,b,c";
    print $ofh "a,b,c";
    =====

    > Each directory has a different set of files; the filenames I provided
    > above was only an example. I'm trying to set it up to output these
    > files automatically, not have to put the filenames in each script.

    ====
    Just found you are using Windows, If I were you, i would do this
    separately,

    dir/S > in.dat

    then parse the file "in.dat" to gather directory and filename
    information and organize then as the form of:

    Dirname1
    FileName1.txt
    FileName1.tif

    Dirname1
    FileName2.txt
    FileName2.tif
    FileName3.tif
    FileName4.tif

    Dirname1
    FileName5.txt
    FileName5.tif
    FileName6.tif
    FileName7.tif

    this should be very easy to do by Perl, then save the data as the input
    file of the above scripts(need some modifications).
    Good luck,
    Xicheng

    Xicheng, Feb 4, 2006
  12. Xicheng Guest

    Xicheng wrote:
    > wrote:

    > #!/usr/bin/perl
    > use warnings;
    > use strict;

    => use Data::Dumper;
    this module is just for debugging...

    > my $dirname = "My_dir";
    > local $/='';

    => my $record;
    this could be removed
    > print "\@FULLTEXT DOC\n";
    > while(<DATA>) {
    > my @a=();
    > print "; Record $.\n";
    > push @a,$1 while/^(.+?\.tif)$/mg;
    > $a[0]=~/^(\w+?)\.tif$/ and print "\@C BEGDOC# $1\n";

    you may need to replace all "\w" to dot '.' coz you may have whitespace
    in your filename:
    $a[0]=~/^(.+?)\.tif$/ and print "\@C BEGDOC# $1\n";
    similar to other cases....

    Xicheng, Feb 4, 2006
  13. Xicheng Guest

    Xicheng wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Thanks - but isn't there some way to do this without having to put the
    > > _DATA_ in each perl script file?

    > sure, that "__DATA__" stuff is used to test code, you can use "open" to
    > open a file for reading or writing:
    >
    > my $ifile = "input.dat";
    > mu $ofile = "output.dat";
    >
    > open $ifh, '<', '$ifile' or die "cannot open input record file $ifile:
    > $!";
    >
    > then replace:
    > while(<DATA>) {
    > with
    > while (<$ifh>) {
    >
    > =====
    > To write to a file
    >
    > open $ofh, '>', '$ofile' or die "cannot open output record file $ofile:
    > $!";
    > (you may need to check Perl references about the differences of
    > read/write modes like '>', '<', '>>'....)
    > then replace all
    > print "a,b,c";
    > print $ofh "a,b,c";
    > =====
    >
    > > Each directory has a different set of files; the filenames I provided
    > > above was only an example. I'm trying to set it up to output these
    > > files automatically, not have to put the filenames in each script.

    > ====
    > Just found you are using Windows, If I were you, i would do this
    > separately,
    >
    > dir/S > in.dat
    >
    > then parse the file "in.dat" to gather directory and filename
    > information and organize then as the form of:
    >
    > Dirname1
    > FileName1.txt
    > FileName1.tif
    >
    > Dirname1
    > FileName2.txt
    > FileName2.tif
    > FileName3.tif
    > FileName4.tif
    >
    > Dirname1
    > FileName5.txt
    > FileName5.tif
    > FileName6.tif
    > FileName7.tif
    >
    > this should be very easy to do by Perl, then save the data as the input
    > file of the above scripts(need some modifications).

    under my WinXP, the following code can roughly parse the file/dir
    info.as I mentioned above... (suppose you have only *.txt and *.tif in
    your dir/subdir and the windows command "dir/S" gives you the wanted
    order)..

    dir/S > in.dat

    =======================
    use warnings;
    use strict;
    local ($/,$\)=('Directory',"\n");
    my $fh;
    open $fh,'<','in.dat' or die "cant open $fh: $!";
    while(<$fh>) {
    my($dir,$files)=/\A\s+of (\S+)(.*)\z/ms;
    my @a=();
    $files =~ s{^.*?<DIR>.*?$}{}mg;
    push @a, $1 while($files=~/^(?:\S+\s+){4}(.*)$/mg);
    foreach (@a) {
    print "\n$dir" if/\.txt$/;
    print;
    }
    print "\n";
    }
    close($fh);
    ========================

    Good luck,
    Xicheng

    Xicheng, Feb 4, 2006
  14. "" <> wrote in

    > BTW, anyone who wants to do this and get paid should notify me first,
    > so I don't get more than one person working on it.

    Anyone who responds to you based on your job posting in a technical
    discussion group will not be among the best people who participate in this
    group for the latter have better things to do with their time than to
    compete with each other for a couple of bucks from you.

    Believe it or not, the value to some of us of offering free help to people
    who appreciate it is more than the few dollars we forego by not working
    for you.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Feb 4, 2006

    OK... I get the point already... Man... I'm very sorry I tried this.
    I apologize, truly and sincerely. I will never do it again. I just
    needed a little program to do something, and wanted to make it worth
    someone's time to do it. If I'd realized how wrong it was to post
    here, I swear to you, I would not have done so. As soon as somebody
    corrected me, I went over to jobs.perl.org and found someone who could
    help me.

    And believe it or not, I do a lot of free work for people too. I'm a
    lawyer whose job it is to keep people out of prison, and I've done a
    lot of pro bono work to do so.

    What's more, I'm willing to guess that the people I help are in far
    greater need than the people you help. Just a guess.

    So you needn't get self-righteous about it, OK?

    Thanks, Xicheng, for your help with this. I think I have what I need at
    this point.

    , Feb 5, 2006
  16. Uri Guttman Guest

    mn> What's more, I'm willing to guess that the people I help are in far
    mn> greater need than the people you help. Just a guess.

    mn> So you needn't get self-righteous about it, OK?

    you don't get it. this group is about discussing perl, not writing perl
    programs for people whether they offer money or not. it would be like a
    group about legal advice that you frequented and offered some legal
    points here and there. but would you take on a complete case in the
    group when the rules were to only discuss legal points? this group sets
    its own rules and asking writing complete programs is not encouraged and
    offering paid jobs is strictly forbidden. if we allowed it, we would get
    inundated (it has happened) with them. that is one reason
    why the perl jobs list was created (and i created it), to have a place
    specifically where anyone could offer perl jobs of all sorts. so we have
    a robot here called david adler who rebukes ALL job postings from anyone
    and redirects them to jobs.perl.org. it makes no difference about the
    size, pay or importance of the perl job, offering it here is NOT WANTED,
    PERMITTED OR CONDONED.

    that is not a high horse but a set of rules. being a lawyer you should
    understand that. now get off your high horse and accept it. your pro
    bono work and the desparate need of your clients have no bearing about
    allowing you (or anyone else) to break the rules this group has set for
    itself. if you can understand that you should be able to properly
    apologize without the conditions, sarcasm, whining, etc. i for one don't
    feel you did it properly. and you DID get a perl hacker for your project
    from the jobs list so a thank you to me wouldn't be a bad thing
    either. or to the people here who directed you to that list.

    have a nice day,

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Feb 5, 2006
  17. On 2006-02-04, <> wrote:
    > BTW, anyone who wants to do this and get paid should notify me first,
    > so I don't get more than one person working on it.

    You have posted a job posting or a resume in a technical group.

    Longstanding Usenet tradition dictates that such postings go into
    groups with names that contain "jobs", like "misc.jobs.offered", not
    technical discussion groups like the ones to which you posted.

    Had you read and understood the Usenet user manual posted frequently to
    "news.announce.newusers", you might have already known this. :) (If
    n.a.n is quieter than it should be, the relevent FAQs are available at
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/news/news.announce.newusers.html)
    Another good source of information on how Usenet functions is
    news.newusers.questions (information from which is also available at
    http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/).

    Please do not explain your posting by saying "but I saw other job
    postings here". Just because one person jumps off a bridge, doesn't
    mean everyone does. Those postings are also in error, and I've
    probably already notified them as well.

    If you have questions about this policy, take it up with the news
    administrators in the newsgroup news.admin.misc.

    http://jobs.perl.org may be of more use to you

    Yours for a better usenet,

    dha

    The role of the Ford Gran Torino (Starsky and Hutch's seriously cool set
    of wheels) will, hopefully, be played by a Ford Gran Torino.
    - Joal Ryan (on the upcoming S&H film)

    David H. Adler, Feb 5, 2006
  18. Xicheng Guest

    Uri Guttman wrote:

    > mn> What's more, I'm willing to guess that the people I help are in far
    > mn> greater need than the people you help. Just a guess.
    >
    > mn> So you needn't get self-righteous about it, OK?
    >
    > you don't get it. this group is about discussing perl, not writing perl
    > programs for people whether they offer money or not. it would be like a
    > group about legal advice that you frequented and offered some legal
    > points here and there. but would you take on a complete case in the

    You may forget one thing, in the technical world, there exist open
    source and commercial. in some communities, there are things beyond
    making money or showing mercy to others.

    Best,
    Xicheng

    Xicheng, Feb 5, 2006
  19. <> wrote:

    > OK... I get the point already...

    If you say so...

    (what point? Please quote some context in followups like everybody else does.)

    > I apologize, truly and sincerely. I will never do it again.

    Then that should be an end to it.

    > I just
    > needed a little program to do something, and wanted to make it worth
    > someone's time to do it.

    If one person does it, then two people will do it.

    Then more people will do it.

    Then our discussion group will become a job-posting group and we
    won't have a place to discuss Perl programming.

    It has happened before. We've seen it. We guard against it because
    we don't want the purpose of our newsgroup changed.

    > If I'd realized how wrong it was to post
    > here, I swear to you, I would not have done so. As soon as somebody
    > corrected me, I went over to jobs.perl.org and found someone who could
    > help me.

    Then that should be an end to it.

    > And believe it or not, I do a lot of free work for people too. I'm a
    > lawyer whose job it is to keep people out of prison, and I've done a
    > lot of pro bono work to do so.

    But, it is apparently not yet ended, you appear to have a continuing
    need to vent and whine.

    > What's more, I'm willing to guess that the people I help are in far
    > greater need than the people you help. Just a guess.

    Oh yeah?

    Well my dad can beatup your dad!

    > So you needn't get self-righteous about it, OK?

    Who needn't get self-righteous about it?

    Please quote some context in followups like everybody else does.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Feb 6, 2006