Can spammers pickup email addy from graphical link?

opeirwp

In other words, I have a graphic on which used the <a href="mailto:
tag. Will their 'bots get my email addy from that link?
- Strawman -

David Dorward

opeirwp said:
In other words, I have a graphic on which used the <a href="mailto:
tag. Will their 'bots get my email addy from that link?

The email address is in clear text in the document, and the mailto: clearly
indicates that it is an address - so yes.

.... but since they are bound to get the address anyway, I wouldn't worry
about it.

No

The email address is in clear text in the document, and the mailto: clearly
indicates that it is an address - so yes.

... but since they are bound to get the address anyway, I wouldn't worry
about it.

How would they get the address anyway? Unless you are talking about a
small-time spammer who gathers addys manually. The 'bot boys can't get
it from a mere graphic with no link attached.
- Strawman -

Jonathan N. Little

No said:
How would they get the address anyway? Unless you are talking about a
small-time spammer who gathers addys manually. The 'bot boys can't get
it from a mere graphic with no link attached.

I think hat David was saying is if an email is public, i.e., you use it,
send email to others with it then the email will be captured by various
methods somewhere down the line. There is only 2 way that I know of to
prevent spammers from getting you email.

1. Don't ever use it in any way.
2. Only use a form to email (properly done, no Matt's Formmail with the
email in a hidden field), *AND* you only *receive* email with this
account. Never, ever send or reply to messages.