Can the desktop be done in html.

Chuck S

I want to try something. I want to do an html webpage but have it stored on
my computer (not the web) and use it as my desktop with pictures and
clickable links . Can that be done..

Chuck S

Can I make links to such folders as my documents and other folders instead
of having the folders themselves there.

Geoff Ball

Chuck said:
I want to try something. I want to do an html webpage but have it stored
on my computer (not the web) and use it as my desktop with pictures and
clickable links . Can that be done..

Yes; just turn on Active Desktop, and use the HTML document as your desktop
background.

Regards,
Geoff

Andrew H. Carter

Chuck S said:
Can I make links to such folders as my documents and other folders instead
of having the folders themselves there.

Yes, you could do that, but I think I recall reading somewhere that they
advise not doing that. If you just want single click access the web look
would be doable if you adjust your settings for single click as follows from
the Help file:
***********

To single-click in folders and on the desktop

Single-clicking to open items lets you work on your desktop and in your
folders the same way you do in your Web browser. You can use single-clicking
in two ways: with or without underlining icons and titles.

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the View menu, and then click
Folder Options.
On the General tab, click Custom, based on settings you choose, click
Settings, and then click Single-click to open an item.
Choose the underlining style you want:
To see items underlined the way they are in your browser, click Underline
icon titles consistent with my browser settings.
To underline items only when you point at them with the mouse, click
Underline icon titles only when I point at them.
Notes

If you change to single-click mode, some of the procedures in Help will be
incorrect; where the Help text reads "double-click," you will only have to
click an icon once.

***********

A helpful utility for such as you want to do would be to get Tweakui.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTwea
kUI.asp

With the Tweak UI 1.33 update, you can adjust your Windows User Interface,
including menu speed, window animation, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The Microsoft® Windows® Shell Development Team has put together a set of
productivity tools called PowerToys. If you're a Windows power-user, go
ahead and try them out, but realize these are unsupported tools. Microsoft
Technical Support is unable to answer questions about PowerToys.

System Requirements
Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98 or Windows
95.

***********

Alternatively, you could create a new toolbar and perhaps drag it to the top
and that will give you single click access w/out having to turn on single
clicking. Once you do that you could hide the desktop items and still have
the links to do what you want.:

To create a new toolbar

Right-click the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click New Toolbar.
Type the path to the folder or the address of the Internet site that you
want to appear as a toolbar, or select it from the list.

Tips

To move a toolbar to the desktop, drag it into the position you want, and
then size it to your needs.
For a handy toolbar containing your favorite shortcuts, create a folder on
your hard disk and put the shortcuts you want in it. Then make the folder
into a toolbar.

Now if you want to have a search page complete with forms, that might be a
bit difficult, though I don't believe impossible.

Disco

Chuck said:
I want to try something. I want to do an html webpage but have it
stored on my computer (not the web) and use it as my desktop with
pictures and clickable links . Can that be done..

I assume you are refering to the FVWM desktop.
No. It can not be done.