    I want to try something. I want to do an html webpage but have it stored on
    my computer (not the web) and use it as my desktop with pictures and
    clickable links . Can that be done..

    Chuck S, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Chuck S

    Chuck S Guest

    Can I make links to such folders as my documents and other folders instead
    of having the folders themselves there.
    "Geoff Ball" <> wrote in message
    > Chuck S wrote:
    >
    > > I want to try something. I want to do an html webpage but have it stored
    > > on my computer (not the web) and use it as my desktop with pictures and
    > > clickable links . Can that be done..

    > Yes; just turn on Active Desktop, and use the HTML document as your

    desktop

    Chuck S, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Chuck S

    Geoff Ball Guest

    Geoff Ball, Jun 24, 2003
  4. "Chuck S" <> wrote in message
    > Can I make links to such folders as my documents and other folders instead
    > of having the folders themselves there.

    Yes, you could do that, but I think I recall reading somewhere that they
    advise not doing that. If you just want single click access the web look
    would be doable if you adjust your settings for single click as follows from
    the Help file:
    ***********

    To single-click in folders and on the desktop

    Single-clicking to open items lets you work on your desktop and in your
    folders the same way you do in your Web browser. You can use single-clicking
    in two ways: with or without underlining icons and titles.

    In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the View menu, and then click
    Folder Options.
    On the General tab, click Custom, based on settings you choose, click
    Settings, and then click Single-click to open an item.
    Choose the underlining style you want:
    To see items underlined the way they are in your browser, click Underline
    icon titles consistent with my browser settings.
    To underline items only when you point at them with the mouse, click
    Underline icon titles only when I point at them.
    Notes

    If you change to single-click mode, some of the procedures in Help will be
    incorrect; where the Help text reads "double-click," you will only have to
    click an icon once.

    ***********

    A helpful utility for such as you want to do would be to get Tweakui.exe
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTwea
    kUI.asp

    With the Tweak UI 1.33 update, you can adjust your Windows User Interface,
    including menu speed, window animation, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.

    The Microsoft® Windows® Shell Development Team has put together a set of
    productivity tools called PowerToys. If you're a Windows power-user, go
    ahead and try them out, but realize these are unsupported tools. Microsoft
    Technical Support is unable to answer questions about PowerToys.

    System Requirements
    Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98 or Windows
    95.

    ***********

    Alternatively, you could create a new toolbar and perhaps drag it to the top
    and that will give you single click access w/out having to turn on single
    clicking. Once you do that you could hide the desktop items and still have
    the links to do what you want.:

    To create a new toolbar

    Right-click the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click New Toolbar.
    Type the path to the folder or the address of the Internet site that you
    want to appear as a toolbar, or select it from the list.

    Tips

    To move a toolbar to the desktop, drag it into the position you want, and
    then size it to your needs.
    For a handy toolbar containing your favorite shortcuts, create a folder on
    your hard disk and put the shortcuts you want in it. Then make the folder
    into a toolbar.

    Now if you want to have a search page complete with forms, that might be a
    bit difficult, though I don't believe impossible.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Andrew H. Carter

    Andrew H. Carter, Jun 26, 2003
  5. Chuck S

    Disco Guest

    Chuck S wrote:
    > I want to try something. I want to do an html webpage but have it
    > stored on my computer (not the web) and use it as my desktop with
    > pictures and clickable links . Can that be done..

    I assume you are refering to the FVWM desktop.
    No. It can not be done.

    Disco, Jun 26, 2003