can the exclamation mark be removed on the alert window, or can the alt msg stay up longer?

Guy

I'd like so that when a user moves there mouse over an image (or clicks the
image, either way it doesn't matter), I'd like some text to appear.

I was going to use the img tag with the alt parameter but the text is a few
sentences long and the yellowish box doesn't stay up long enough to read the
whole thing? Is there a way to keep the yellowish box there until the use
moves his mouse away, or to keep the box there for maybe 10 seconds or
whatever?

In case there isn't a way to get this working with the alt parameter and the
yellowish box, I was thinking of having the user click the image and have an
alert box pop up, but I didn't want that yellow triangle with the
exclamation mark there as if the user did something wrong.

I suppose if I can't get neither to work, I could have the onclick event
open a new small window but I'd rather not if possible.

Guy

Guy

You're right, it's exactly what I'd like to have, but it's quite complex
(for me anyway) and I won't be supporting this site much longer so I'd like
to keep it as simple as possible for the next person too.

But I will keep the link handy.
Thanks you very much :)
Guy

Michael Winter

Guy wrote on 13 Dec 2003 at Sat, 13 Dec 2003 03:27:05 GMT:
I'd like so that when a user moves there mouse over an image (or
clicks the image, either way it doesn't matter), I'd like some
text to appear.

I was going to use the img tag with the alt parameter but the
text is a few sentences long and the yellowish box doesn't stay
up long enough to read the whole thing? Is there a way to keep
the yellowish box there until the use moves his mouse away, or
to keep the box there for maybe 10 seconds or whatever?

It's up to the browser or OS to decide how long tooltips (name for
the 'yellowish box') stay visible. Also, using the alt attribute in
this way is abusing it's purpose: it's supposed to be used to provide
a /short/ description in the event that images have been disabled,
can't be shown (text browser), or haven't loaded yet. In Opera, that
information isn't shown by tooltip anyway and it might not be in
other browsers. Either place a caption under the image, or use the
title attribute.
In case there isn't a way to get this working with the alt
parameter and the yellowish box, I was thinking of having the
user click the image and have an alert box pop up, but I didn't
want that yellow triangle with the exclamation mark there as if
the user did something wrong.

Again, it's the browser's choice. Some browsers may allow you to
choose, but it certainly isn't a universal ability.

Mike

David Dorward

Michael said:
Also, using the alt attribute in this way is abusing it's purpose: it's
supposed to be used to provide a /short/ description in the event that
images have been disabled...

No - a replacement, not a description.