Can this be done?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tom, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hello, I am new at HTML coding, and wonder if the following is possible.

    I would like to create a page with an open ended table as such:

    CODE DESCRIPTION FEE
    -------------
    | ADD COURSE |
    -------------

    --------
    Total FEE: | 0.00 |
    --------

    When you press the 'ADD COURSE ' button, you open a page that uses a selection
    of menues to get you the code, description, and fee. Accepting these values pops
    you back and you would see something like this:

    CODE DESCRIPTION FEE
    ----------
    555 Basic HTML 100.00 | DELETE |
    ------------- ----------
    | ADD COURSE |
    -------------

    --------
    Total FEE: | 100.00 |
    --------

    Press the 'ADD COURSE ' button again, and you could add another item:

    CODE DESCRIPTION FEE
    ----------
    555 Basic HTML 100.00 | DELETE |
    ----------
    654 Advanced HTML 200.00 | DELETE |
    ------------- ----------
    | ADD COURSE |
    -------------

    --------
    Total FEE: | 100.00 |
    --------

    Pressing the 'DELETE' button would remove that entry line and update the total fee.

    Can something like this be done in HTML? Any pointers as to how...
    Thank you for any help, Tom

    kill the x's...
    Tom, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Tom

    mark | r Guest

    yes uyou need a javascript array - search for "javascript database" on
    google, i know theres one out there

    mark

    mark | r, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Tom

    viza Guest

    and then Tom said:

    > I would like to create a page with an open ended table as such:
    >
    > When you press the 'ADD COURSE ' button, you open a page that uses a
    > selection of menues to get you the code, description, and fee. Accepting
    >
    > Press the 'ADD COURSE ' button again, and you could add another item:
    >
    > Pressing the 'DELETE' button would remove that entry line and update the
    > total fee.

    This cannot be done in html, and to do it in javascript would be
    irresponsible, both for people who choose not to use it, and posibly for
    security given you are displaying prices. You need to learn a server side
    scripting language. http://www.php.net/ is a good start.
    viza, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Tom

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "mark | r" <> wrote in news:3f321467$0$956
    $:

    > yes uyou need a javascript array - search for "javascript database" on
    > google, i know theres one out there
    >
    > mark

    No, client-side code is not an appropriate solution; it is unreliable.
    If you used server-side processing, perhaps something done in PHP, you
    could get it to work more reliably. No matter what, the site would need
    server-side code to work, and javascript would not provide any
    significant advantage (while including plenty of disadvantages, though).

    > "Tom" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I am new at HTML coding, and wonder if the following is

    possible.

    >> I would like to create a page with an open ended table as such:
    >>
    >> CODE DESCRIPTION FEE
    >> -------------
    >> | ADD COURSE |
    >> -------------
    >>
    >> --------
    >> Total FEE: | 0.00 |
    >> --------
    >>

    >> When you press the 'ADD COURSE ' button, you open a page that uses a

    > selection
    >> of menues to get you the code, description, and fee. Accepting these

    > values pops
    >> you back and you would see something like this:
    >>
    >> CODE DESCRIPTION FEE
    >> ----------
    >> 555 Basic HTML 100.00 | DELETE |
    >> ------------- ----------
    >> | ADD COURSE |
    >> -------------
    >>
    >> --------
    >> Total FEE: | 100.00 |
    >> --------
    >>
    >> Press the 'ADD COURSE ' button again, and you could add another item:
    >>
    >> CODE DESCRIPTION FEE
    >> ----------
    >> 555 Basic HTML 100.00 | DELETE |
    >> 654 Advanced HTML 200.00 | DELETE |
    >> | ADD COURSE |
    >>
    >> --------
    >> Total FEE: | 100.00 |
    >> --------

    You mean Total FEE: 300.00, don't you? :)

    Sam Hughes, Aug 7, 2003