Can validation Update a Lable with a Date or Similar?

JDP@Work

I HAVE an input button (value="", pageload sets to Activate/DeActivate)
depending on the presense of a date in a field.

I WANT when that button is clicked to have Now() put into another lable, WITHOUT
a post to the server, I think by an

semi-pseudo code....
<asp:requiredfieldvalidator id="RequiredFieldValidator1" runat="server"
Width="216px" ErrorMessage=toString(Now())
ControlToValidate="cmdActDeAct"></asp:requiredfieldvalidator>

Is there a validation that can assign a conditional value to another
field/lable?

JDP@Work

I just put a checkbox, whose lable is the oposite of the current condtion and
use the checkbox logic during the sproc to insert a date in the end date field
which is the deactivate condition.....

TIA

JeffP.....