can we shut down system through ruby code ? if yes, How?

Sandeep Gupta

Can Ruby code be used to automatically shut down a windows machine.

If yes, how it can be achieved.

I tried several searches but didn't got anything relevant.

Phlip

Sandeep said:
Can Ruby code be used to automatically shut down a windows machine.

This is the Windows Kernel FAQ "how can a batch file shut down Windows?":

system 'C:\Windows\RUNDLL32.EXE user,exitwindows exit'

Tiago Nogueira

Sandeep Gupta escreveu:
Can Ruby code be used to automatically shut down a windows machine.

If yes, how it can be achieved.

I tried several searches but didn't got anything relevant.
Dear Friend,
Maybe de system method can help you.
Did you try system(’shutdown.exe’); ?

This method calls the shutdow app in windows system.The usage of this
app is:

Usage: shutdown.exe [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername]
[-t xx] [-
c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)
-i Display GUI interface, must be the first option
-l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
-s Shutdown the computer
-r Shutdown and restart the computer
-a Abort a system shutdown
-m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
-t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
-c “comment†Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
-f Forces running applications to close without war
ning
-d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
u is the user code
p is a planned shutdown code
xx is the major reason code (positive integer le
ss than 256)
yy is the minor reason code (positive integer le
ss than 65536)

If you are on a linux , you shold use the equivalent app to shutdown the
system , maybe the init 0 for example.

Hope helped you.
Tj

Robert Klemme

2008/12/19 Sandeep Gupta said:
Can Ruby code be used to automatically shut down a windows machine.

If yes, how it can be achieved.

<SCNR>
plug = Plug.main
plug.pull
</SCNR>

Sorry, I'm in a bit of silly mode. :)

robert

Glen Holcomb

Can Ruby code be used to automatically shut down a windows machine.

If yes, how it can be achieved.

I tried several searches but didn't got anything relevant.
Shutting down locally is easy. Remotely is a little trickier but still
doable. I have a small application I've written for work that will manage
the shutdown and startup of many multiple machines on daily schedules if you
are interested. You can populate the local database from AD or by hand and
assign machines to whatever groups you want.

-Glen