Can we use <compiler> tag to avoid RunTime Compiler error?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jack Wright, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Jack Wright

    Jack Wright Guest

    Dear All,
    At some customers we are facing a problem when the user tries to
    launch any aspx page from IE. We are getting "Compiler failed with
    error code 2000". Is this bcos of some missing resource?
    I read in the newgroup that said:
    1. Re-install IIS ( I applied Windows 2000 SP3 after that)
    2. Register Aspnet_isapi.dll as described in Q306005. (this is
    actually not needed)

    One more Observation I made was that the length of the Virtual Name
    of the directory where the deployment is should not exceed more than 8
    characters. What is the maximum length of the Virtual name in IIS?

    I changed <NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation> in the registry to <1>
    but I still get the compliation error if the length is greater than 8.

    Is there some other solution? Has something changed in the registry?
    Can we use the <Compile> tag in Web.Config to overcome this error?

    Please help
    TALIA

    Many Regards
    Jack

    Jack Wright, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Jack Wright

    Shiv Kumar Guest

    Jack,

    > One more Observation I made was that the length of the Virtual Name
    > of the directory where the deployment is should not exceed more than 8
    > characters. What is the maximum length of the Virtual name in IIS?
    >
    > I changed <NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation> in the registry to <1>
    > but I still get the compliation error if the length is greater than 8.

    I'd be surprised if there was a limit! VS.NET creates ASP.NET applications
    called WebApplication1 and it works just fine.

    --
    Shiv R. Kumar
    http://www.matlus.com

    Shiv Kumar, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Jack Wright

    Jack Wright Guest

    Shiv,
    WebApp works if the project is created from VS. But if we create a
    Virtual folder, it might work or it might not...

    Many Regards
    Jack

    Jack Wright, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Jack Wright

    Shiv Kumar Guest

    Oh, then I don't think you're setting up the correct configuration settings
    for the virtual folder you're creating. Make sure the virtual folders you
    are creating have the exact same configuration as the ones VS.NET creates.

    --
    Shiv R. Kumar
    http://www.matlus.com

    Shiv Kumar, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Jack Wright

    Jack Wright Guest

    How do I find out the difference between the two? Moreover why does it
    work initially...and after some days it stops working...

    Jack Wright, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Jack Wright

    Shiv Kumar Guest

    Typically, your first clue is the icon you see. The best way is to compare
    the settings however.

    I can't understand or explain why it should stop working after a few days
    unless someone is tampering with the settings :)

    --
    Shiv R. Kumar
    http://www.matlus.com

    Shiv Kumar, Jan 19, 2004