    learning curve. Instead of reportlab, does it make sense to generate
    small reports using emPy or ReST with or without use of YAML? Are
    there any other choice to create small reports easily in python?
    Samir Patel, Oct 16, 2003

  2. It's not quite clear what report you mean..
    If you want to make PDFs with Python then reportlab is fine. The steep
    learning curve could be flattened a bit by using their RXML solution, i.e.
    an XML layout.
    This does cost money.

    Also, one can generate nice reports with LaTeX and the learning curve is not
    that steep. Postscript (latex -> dvi -> ps) and HTML (latex2html or ht) come
    easily.
    PS can be converted into PDF with ps2pdf but you can make PDFs with pdflatex
    directly as well. (it's a better option)

    Or use some other mark-up tools: LinuxBook, DocBook, lout, etc. (wouldn't
    recommend groff or troff.. <wink>)
    These are all multi-output formats, so you can directly get "final output"
    formats like HTML, PS or PDF.
    Or use something like the Python-based "AsciiDoc" ( converts an AsciiDoc
    text file to DocBook, HTML or LinuxDoc ) or reST, etc.

    You can use, say, emPy, of course, to generate the input to any of the
    above. And there are other templating engines if you want something else.

    Or... there are miriads of choices out there.

    Have a nice digging. :)
    Miklós

    --
    Prisznyák Miklós
    ---

    Jegenye 2001 Bt, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Samir Patel wrote:

    > Currently main choice to create a report in python is reportlab. It
    > allows a fine control over creation of report at cost of bigger
    > learning curve. Instead of reportlab, does it make sense to generate
    > small reports using emPy or ReST with or without use of YAML? Are
    > there any other choice to create small reports easily in python?

    It's certainly quite feasible to use EmPy for this purpose -- Dinu
    Gherman, for instance, used EmPy itself (along with ReportLab's
    PythonPoint package) to build his EmPy presentation for EuroPython:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/gherman/presentations/empy-epc2003.pdf

    / \ There are no dull subjects. There are only dull writers.
    \__/ H.L. Mencken
    Erik Max Francis, Oct 17, 2003
  4. I use FOP from Apache.org. Python pulls data from SAPDB and I write it out
    as XML. FOP makes it into a PDF

    Nice thing is, the same XML data creates my web pages using client-side XSLT
    or server-side xlst (with zope). I also use the same xml to make customer
    invoices (through FOP) .

    We originally used ReportLab to make PDF reports, but every new report
    required a lot of tedious programming in Python. ReportLab produces good
    output, but FOP gave us more flexability.

    I bet RXML would be good, but that didn't exist when we moved to FOP.

    --
    Novell DeveloperNet Sysop #5

    _

    Brad Clements, Oct 17, 2003