Can wxWidgets/wxPython 2.4 and 2.5 co-exist on same PC?

R Baumann

I would like to be able to run Boa Constructor, which does not yet use 2.5,
but I would also like to work with Dabo which does.

Anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks
Ruben

Darren Kirby

quoth the R Baumann:
I would like to be able to run Boa Constructor, which does not yet use 2.5,
but I would also like to work with Dabo which does.

Anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks
Ruben

I would imagine it depends on your platform. For instance, Gentoo Linux has a
mechanism called slots that allows multiple versions of the same app to be
installed.

-d
--
Part of the problem since 1976
http://badcomputer.no-ip.com

David Fraser

R said:
I would like to be able to run Boa Constructor, which does not yet use 2.5,
but I would also like to work with Dabo which does.

Anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks
Ruben
Have a look at http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/VersionSelection
Also I would recommend looking at the wxpython list archives, this has
been discussed a lot recently.
If you have specific problems once you've tried the above, then report
them and maybe you can get specific help

David

Josiah Carlson

I would like to be able to run Boa Constructor, which does not yet use 2.5,
but I would also like to work with Dabo which does.

Anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this?

I have historically just run two different versions of Python and
wxPython when I needed as much.

On Windows, you would just install them to different folders.

On *nix, if you compile it yourself, in the sequence:
./configure
make
make install

you can use 'make altinstall' instead of 'make install', or even alter
the PREFIX variable in the Makefile between 'make' and 'make install'.

- Josiah

Kevin Altis

R Baumann said:
I would like to be able to run Boa Constructor, which does not yet use 2.5,
but I would also like to work with Dabo which does.

Anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks
Ruben

Well if you are running Windows there is a very easy way to accomplish that.

http://altis.pycs.net/2004/08/20.html

If you are running Linux then you will probably have to wait for the planned
wxPython versioning scheme. On Mac OS X you shouldn't bother running
anything earlier than wxPython 2.5.2.7.

ka