Can you explain this?

John Laco

Dear Gentlemen (and Ladies of course),

I am facing an interesting problem (which may be not be a problem). I
am running win2000 server IIS5 (with newest SP). This is our
development server and I am making an ACCESS-driven ASP applications.
For easy development purposes I have enabled the "Allow Directory
Browsing" in IIS in the "home" virtual folder, just to see whether
files are written by the ASP script in that folder. What I noticed is
when I try to simply download the files (ASP, TXT, HTM) by using the
Right-click "Save Target As…" using Internet Explorer (v 5.0)
the ISS tries to execute the files and always sends back the response
(file) in html type of format.

Thus, the files that are saved locally on my PC are always in HTML
format, also for the TXT files, which is quite strange. I have checked
the MIME types headers in IIS and everything seems normal. The TXT and
HTM extensions are not mapped to the ASP DLL engine.

Any ideas what can trigger this IIS behavior. This can be a good
mechanism for protecting the files to be viewed (downloaded) in
Browser (even TXT files!!!).

Greetings,
John.

Don Verhagen

In John Laco <[email protected]> typed:
: Dear Gentlemen (and Ladies of course),
:
: I am facing an interesting problem (which may be not be a problem). I
: am running win2000 server IIS5 (with newest SP). This is our
: development server and I am making an ACCESS-driven ASP applications.
: For easy development purposes I have enabled the "Allow Directory
: Browsing" in IIS in the "home" virtual folder, just to see whether
: files are written by the ASP script in that folder. What I noticed is
: when I try to simply download the files (ASP, TXT, HTM) by using the
: Right-click "Save Target As…" using Internet Explorer (v 5.0)
: the ISS tries to execute the files and always sends back the response
: (file) in html type of format.
:
The .asp extension is always processing by IIS when the request comes from
HTTP (webpage). A way to avoid this is to use FTP.

: Thus, the files that are saved locally on my PC are always in HTML
: format, also for the TXT files, which is quite strange. I have checked
: the MIME types headers in IIS and everything seems normal. The TXT and
: HTM extensions are not mapped to the ASP DLL engine.

Can explain why .txt or .htm file extensions exhibit this behavior other
than being mapped to the ASP engine.

:
: Any ideas what can trigger this IIS behavior. This can be a good
: mechanism for protecting the files to be viewed (downloaded) in
: Browser (even TXT files!!!).

What do txt files look like after they go through the ASP engine. It
shouldn't make a difference unless those TXT files have a <% %> in them
somewhere.

Don

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

John Laco said:
[...]

Are you saying that plain text files get html embedded in them when saved
locally?

Ray at

This is the be expected. When you do a save target as&8230, it's still an
http request to the server. If you setup your server so that you can
download .asp files, then you will not be able to execute .asp files in that
directory anymore. I suggest just mapping a drive to the server.

Ray at work

John Laco

Tom Kaminski said:
Are you saying that plain text files get html embedded in them when saved
locally?

Dear Don, Dear Tom,

Thanks for your answers. Yes indeed, the TXT files are HTML embedded
with <html> tags at the beginning. My first guess was that the ASP
engine serves the TXT files as well. I will check the registry
entries.

Thanks again,
John.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

John Laco said:
"Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message

Dear Don, Dear Tom,

Thanks for your answers. Yes indeed, the TXT files are HTML embedded
with <html> tags at the beginning. My first guess was that the ASP
engine serves the TXT files as well. I will check the registry
entries.

Bizarre - that shouldn't happen.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

John Laco said:
"Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
My first guess was that the ASP engine serves the TXT files as well. I
will check the registry entries.

FWIW, the ASP engine wouldn't cause that. It only parses the ASP code, it
does not insert any HTML.

_Netah X

Hi,

Did you tried from another client pc or from your server in localhost ?

Ben [ ZoneB.org _ Netah ]