Can you get the 1st occurrence of a value using grep?

Mmcolli00 Mom

Can you get a 1st occurence of a sting inside a huge text file?

For instance, I know that there will be 1 or more occurrences of a the
string 'fail' in a text file and I only want to get the first line
containing the 'fail' instead of getting every line with a fail. My
program reads over 100 files that may contain one or more 'fail' values.

Thanks
MC

Dir["//MYFile/*.txt"].each do |textfile|
getGrepOffense = textfile.grep(/fail/)
strOffense = getGrepOffense.join
puts strOffense
end

pat eyler

lines.detect {|l| l =3D~ /fail/}

Can you get a 1st occurence of a sting inside a huge text file?

For instance, I =A0know that there will be 1 or more occurrences of a the
string 'fail' in a text file and I only want to get the first line
containing the 'fail' instead of getting every line with a fail. My
program reads over 100 files that may contain one or more 'fail' values.

Thanks
MC

Dir["//MYFile/*.txt"].each do |textfile|
=A0 =A0getGrepOffense =3D textfile.grep(/fail/)
=A0 =A0strOffense =3D getGrepOffense.join
=A0 =A0puts strOffense
end

--=20
thanks,
-pate

Joel VanderWerf

Mmcolli00 said:
Can you get a 1st occurence of a sting inside a huge text file?

For instance, I know that there will be 1 or more occurrences of a the
string 'fail' in a text file and I only want to get the first line
containing the 'fail' instead of getting every line with a fail. My
program reads over 100 files that may contain one or more 'fail' values.

Thanks
MC

Dir["//MYFile/*.txt"].each do |textfile|
getGrepOffense = textfile.grep(/fail/)
strOffense = getGrepOffense.join
puts strOffense
end

[~/tmp] cat grepfail.rb
DATA.grep /fail/ do |line|
p line
break
end

__END__
ok 1
ok 2
fail 1
ok 3
fail 2
fail 3
[~/tmp] ruby grepfail.rb
"fail 1\n"

This should work with an open File in place of DATA.