    is held on another server?

    Many thanks,

    Noel

    Noel S Pamfree, Dec 12, 2005

  2. Noel S Pamfree

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Noel S Pamfree
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Can anyone tell me if it is possible to place a graphic on a website which
    > is held on another server?

    Yes. But unless you have permission from the other site to do so, it's
    called hotlinking, and is bandwidth theft.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

    Mark Parnell, Dec 12, 2005

  3. Noel S Pamfree

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Noel S Pamfree" <>

    > Can anyone tell me if it is possible to place a graphic on a website which
    > is held on another server?

    If you run out of space on one server, sure, put images or
    whatever on another. I do it all the time on servers that I have
    permission to use. If you are talking someone else's images on
    their website or server space, as Mark Parnell says....

    -- dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 12, 2005
  4. Noel S Pamfree

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Yes. But unless you have permission from the other site to do so, it's
    > called hotlinking, and is bandwidth theft.

    Nobody is "stealing" the bandwidth. If I choose to link to one of your
    images using an IMG element and other people make requests to the image
    because of my IMG element, then who is using your bandwidth.

    You are. Because your webserver is sending out a large binary file. If you
    don't want your bandwidth used up, then configure it to drop all
    conections to port 80.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 12, 2005
  5. Noel S Pamfree

    Els Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. But unless you have permission from the other site to do so, it's
    >> called hotlinking, and is bandwidth theft.

    > Nobody is "stealing" the bandwidth. If I choose to link to one of your
    > images using an IMG element and other people make requests to the image
    > because of my IMG element, then who is using your bandwidth.
    >
    > You are. Because your webserver is sending out a large binary file. If you
    > don't want your bandwidth used up, then configure it to drop all
    > conections to port 80.

    Sounds a bit like my neighbour is not stealing my electricity when he
    taps into one of my outlets, because I'm the one who actually turned
    on the electricity in my house?

    Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
    get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
    only taking the 6th, because it is free? I have pictures on my site
    that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free to anyone visiting my
    site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 13, 2005
  6. "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    > > Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
    > get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
    > only taking the 6th, because it is free? I have pictures on my site
    > that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free to anyone visiting my
    > site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

    That is what I was wondering about as much as it concerns Google´s strategy.
    There is a chance that some users see a little image in Google´s image
    section on one of Google´s pages without visiting the site in question where
    the original images have been uploaded and come from.

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-valle-daosta/boende-i-italien-i-valle-daosta.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Noel S Pamfree

    Els Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mark Parnell wrote:

    >> Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
    >> get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
    >> only taking the 6th, because it is free? I have pictures on my site
    >> that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free to anyone visiting my
    >> site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

    > That is what I was wondering about as much as it concerns Google´s strategy.
    > There is a chance that some users see a little image in Google´s image
    > section on one of Google´s pages without visiting the site in question where
    > the original images have been uploaded and come from.

    That's entirely different. That's what brings me the most of my
    visitors!

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 13, 2005
  8. "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > >> Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
    > >> get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
    > >> only taking the 6th, because it is free? I have pictures on my site
    > >> that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free to anyone visiting my
    > >> site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

    > > That is what I was wondering about as much as it concerns Google´s

    strategy.
    > > There is a chance that some users see a little image in Google´s image
    > > section on one of Google´s pages without visiting the site in question

    where
    > > the original images have been uploaded and come from.

    > That's entirely different. That's what brings me the most of my
    > visitors!

    Yet, you do not know how many see the small pictures without visiting your
    site.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 13, 2005
  9. Noel S Pamfree

    Els Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet

    >>> That is what I was wondering about as much as it concerns Google´s

    > strategy.
    >>> There is a chance that some users see a little image in Google´s image
    >>> section on one of Google´s pages without visiting the site in question

    > where
    >>> the original images have been uploaded and come from.

    >> That's entirely different. That's what brings me the most of my
    >> visitors!

    > Yet, you do not know how many see the small pictures without visiting your
    > site.

    I don't mind. It doesn't cost me bandwidth, they're not full-size
    pictures, and they bring me visitors. What's there to object??

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 13, 2005
  10. "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > > Yet, you do not know how many see the small pictures without visiting

    your
    > > site.

    > I don't mind. It doesn't cost me bandwidth, they're not full-size
    > pictures, and they bring me visitors. What's there to object??

    Copyright

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 13, 2005
  11. Noel S Pamfree

    Els Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>> "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >>>
    >>> Yet, you do not know how many see the small pictures without visiting
    >>> your site.

    >> I don't mind. It doesn't cost me bandwidth, they're not full-size
    >> pictures, and they bring me visitors. What's there to object??

    > Copyright

    I said I don't mind. Copyright is a right, not an obligation.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 13, 2005
  12. "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > >> I don't mind. It doesn't cost me bandwidth, they're not full-size
    > >> pictures, and they bring me visitors. What's there to object??

    > > Copyright

    > I said I don't mind. Copyright is a right, not an obligation.

    Didn´t any company or association which defends publishing houses
    protested in any form against Google´s policy?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 13, 2005
  13. Noel S Pamfree

    Els Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>> "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet

    >>> Copyright

    >> I said I don't mind. Copyright is a right, not an obligation.

    > Didn´t any company or association which defends publishing houses
    > protested in any form against Google´s policy?

    I hope you're not asking *me* that question? I don't keep up with that
    sort of stuff, it doesn't interest me.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 13, 2005
  14. "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > "Els" <> skrev i meddelandet

    visiting

    > >> I said I don't mind. Copyright is a right, not an obligation.

    > > Didn´t any company or association which defends publishing houses
    > > protested in any form against Google´s policy?

    > I hope you're not asking *me* that question? I don't keep up with that
    > sort of stuff, it doesn't interest me.

    I suppose that I have heard something about it...and I thought that someone
    in this NG might know more..

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 13, 2005
  15. In article <sOonf.40139$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > I suppose that I have heard something about it...and I thought that someone
    > in this NG might know more..

    All I know is that Google is in a position to have extremely good
    lawyers that give them great advice on international copyright.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Dec 13, 2005
  16. Noel S Pamfree

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Els wrote:

    > Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
    > get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
    > only taking the 6th, because it is free?

    Better analogy: I'm giving out free hobnobs to anyone who visits me at
    home; you give people my address and say "free hobnobs here" and suddenly
    everyone's turning and taking my hobnobs. Are you stealing hobnobs from
    me?

    > I have pictures on my site that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free
    > to anyone visiting my site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

    s/house/URL/g;
    s/hobnobs/pictures/g;

    I'm giving out free pictures to anyone who visits me at my URL; you give
    people my address and say "free pictures here" and suddenly everyone's
    turning and taking my pictures.

    I really like that analogy actually. Very apt.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 13, 2005
  17. Noel S Pamfree

    Els Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
    >> get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
    >> only taking the 6th, because it is free?

    > Better analogy: I'm giving out free hobnobs to anyone who visits me at
    > home; you give people my address and say "free hobnobs here" and suddenly
    > everyone's turning and taking my hobnobs. Are you stealing hobnobs from
    > me?

    See below :)

    >> I have pictures on my site that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free
    >> to anyone visiting my site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

    > s/house/URL/g;
    > s/hobnobs/pictures/g;
    >
    > I'm giving out free pictures to anyone who visits me at my URL; you give
    > people my address and say "free pictures here" and suddenly everyone's
    > turning and taking my pictures.
    >
    > I really like that analogy actually. Very apt.

    :)

    The thing is though, that with deeplinking, they don't visit your
    house.

    One person visited your house, and constructed outlets for hobnobs
    from your hobnob-room. Big hoovers sucking the hobnobs from their
    packages and spitting them out at the other end, which happens to be
    outside your house or even in the next street.

    He is bypassing your condition of 'visit me at home' for others to
    obtain hobnobs. They get the hobnobs without the tea you were offering
    with them, and without you having a chance to give some nutritional
    information on the hobnobs.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 13, 2005
  18. Noel S Pamfree

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    >> Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
    >> get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
    >> only taking the 6th, because it is free?

    >Better analogy: I'm giving out free hobnobs to anyone who visits me at
    >home; you give people my address and say "free hobnobs here" and suddenly
    >everyone's turning and taking my hobnobs. Are you stealing hobnobs from
    >me?

    Two newly build shops on bordering plots, both shops are 100M from the
    road with no paving from the shops to the road. Shop owner A pays for
    paving to the road, shop owner B decides to lay 5M of paving directly in
    front of his shop, his customers then come to his store over 95M of
    paving laid by shop owner A, then hop over to shop B.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Dec 13, 2005
  19. Noel S Pamfree

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Els <>

    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Els wrote:
    >>
    >>> Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
    >>> get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
    >>> only taking the 6th, because it is free?

    >> Better analogy: I'm giving out free hobnobs to anyone who visits me at
    >> home; you give people my address and say "free hobnobs here" and suddenly
    >> everyone's turning and taking my hobnobs. Are you stealing hobnobs from
    >> me?

    > See below :)
    >
    >>> I have pictures on my site that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free
    >>> to anyone visiting my site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

    >> s/house/URL/g;
    >> s/hobnobs/pictures/g;
    >>
    >> I'm giving out free pictures to anyone who visits me at my URL; you give
    >> people my address and say "free pictures here" and suddenly everyone's
    >> turning and taking my pictures.
    >>
    >> I really like that analogy actually. Very apt.

    > :)
    >
    > The thing is though, that with deeplinking, they don't visit your
    > house.
    >
    > One person visited your house, and constructed outlets for hobnobs
    > from your hobnob-room. Big hoovers sucking the hobnobs from their
    > packages and spitting them out at the other end, which happens to be
    > outside your house or even in the next street.
    >
    > He is bypassing your condition of 'visit me at home' for others to
    > obtain hobnobs. They get the hobnobs without the tea you were offering
    > with them, and without you having a chance to give some nutritional
    > information on the hobnobs.

    Els is right. In general, there is something not quite nice
    about simply using a pic from someone else's server without some
    sort of explicit permission. Using the context of the website
    from where it comes is a different matter, the permission then
    being implied...

    However, we all know there are no laws saying people need be
    nice...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 13, 2005
  20. Noel S Pamfree <> wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me if it is possible to place a graphic on a website
    > which
    > is held on another server?

    yes, of course it is - you need to supply an absolute reference to the
    resource in your markup and be aware that some visitors will set their UAs
    to ignore images from 3rd party (offsite) addresses.

    Please do consider the benefits of KISS.
    --
    William Tasso

    William Tasso, Dec 13, 2005