dorayme

From: "Noel S Pamfree said:
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to place a graphic on a website which
is held on another server?

If you run out of space on one server, sure, put images or
whatever on another. I do it all the time on servers that I have
permission to use. If you are talking someone else's images on
their website or server space, as Mark Parnell says....

-- dorayme

Toby Inkster

Mark said:
Yes. But unless you have permission from the other site to do so, it's
called hotlinking, and is bandwidth theft.

Nobody is "stealing" the bandwidth. If I choose to link to one of your
images using an IMG element and other people make requests to the image
because of my IMG element, then who is using your bandwidth.

You are. Because your webserver is sending out a large binary file. If you
don't want your bandwidth used up, then configure it to drop all
conections to port 80.

Els

Toby said:
Nobody is "stealing" the bandwidth. If I choose to link to one of your
images using an IMG element and other people make requests to the image
because of my IMG element, then who is using your bandwidth.

You are. Because your webserver is sending out a large binary file. If you
don't want your bandwidth used up, then configure it to drop all
conections to port 80.

Sounds a bit like my neighbour is not stealing my electricity when he
taps into one of my outlets, because I'm the one who actually turned
on the electricity in my house?

Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
only taking the 6th, because it is free? I have pictures on my site
that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free to anyone visiting my
site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
only taking the 6th, because it is free? I have pictures on my site
that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free to anyone visiting my
site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

That is what I was wondering about as much as it concerns Google´s strategy.
There is a chance that some users see a little image in Google´s image
section on one of Google´s pages without visiting the site in question where
the original images have been uploaded and come from.

Els

Luigi said:
That is what I was wondering about as much as it concerns Google´s strategy.
There is a chance that some users see a little image in Google´s image
section on one of Google´s pages without visiting the site in question where
the original images have been uploaded and come from.

That's entirely different. That's what brings me the most of my
visitors!

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
That's entirely different. That's what brings me the most of my
visitors!

Yet, you do not know how many see the small pictures without visiting your
site.

Els

Luigi said:
Yet, you do not know how many see the small pictures without visiting your
site.

I don't mind. It doesn't cost me bandwidth, they're not full-size
pictures, and they bring me visitors. What's there to object??

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
I don't mind. It doesn't cost me bandwidth, they're not full-size
pictures, and they bring me visitors. What's there to object??

Copyright

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
I said I don't mind. Copyright is a right, not an obligation.

Didn´t any company or association which defends publishing houses
protested in any form against Google´s policy?

Els

Luigi said:
Didn´t any company or association which defends publishing houses
protested in any form against Google´s policy?

I hope you're not asking *me* that question? I don't keep up with that
sort of stuff, it doesn't interest me.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
I hope you're not asking *me* that question? I don't keep up with that
sort of stuff, it doesn't interest me.

I suppose that I have heard something about it...and I thought that someone
in this NG might know more..

Leonard Blaisdell

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I suppose that I have heard something about it...and I thought that someone
in this NG might know more..

All I know is that Google is in a position to have extremely good
lawyers that give them great advice on international copyright.

leo

Toby Inkster

Els said:
Or maybe a better analogy - shop sells beer with the promotion: buy 5,
get the 6th free. Do you plead 'not guilty' when they bust you for
only taking the 6th, because it is free?

Better analogy: I'm giving out free hobnobs to anyone who visits me at
home; you give people my address and say "free hobnobs here" and suddenly
everyone's turning and taking my hobnobs. Are you stealing hobnobs from
me?
I have pictures on my site that I pay bandwidth for - they come for free
to anyone visiting my site. Not to anyone not visiting my site.

s/house/URL/g;
s/hobnobs/pictures/g;

I'm giving out free pictures to anyone who visits me at my URL; you give
people my address and say "free pictures here" and suddenly everyone's
turning and taking my pictures.

I really like that analogy actually. Very apt.

Els

Toby said:
Better analogy: I'm giving out free hobnobs to anyone who visits me at
home; you give people my address and say "free hobnobs here" and suddenly
everyone's turning and taking my hobnobs. Are you stealing hobnobs from
me?

See below :)
s/house/URL/g;
s/hobnobs/pictures/g;

I'm giving out free pictures to anyone who visits me at my URL; you give
people my address and say "free pictures here" and suddenly everyone's
turning and taking my pictures.

I really like that analogy actually. Very apt.

:)

The thing is though, that with deeplinking, they don't visit your
house.

One person visited your house, and constructed outlets for hobnobs
from your hobnob-room. Big hoovers sucking the hobnobs from their
packages and spitting them out at the other end, which happens to be
outside your house or even in the next street.

He is bypassing your condition of 'visit me at home' for others to
obtain hobnobs. They get the hobnobs without the tea you were offering
with them, and without you having a chance to give some nutritional
information on the hobnobs.

Spartanicus

Toby Inkster said:
Better analogy: I'm giving out free hobnobs to anyone who visits me at
home; you give people my address and say "free hobnobs here" and suddenly
everyone's turning and taking my hobnobs. Are you stealing hobnobs from
me?

Two newly build shops on bordering plots, both shops are 100M from the
road with no paving from the shops to the road. Shop owner A pays for
paving to the road, shop owner B decides to lay 5M of paving directly in
front of his shop, his customers then come to his store over 95M of
paving laid by shop owner A, then hop over to shop B.

dorayme

From: Els said:
See below :)

:)

The thing is though, that with deeplinking, they don't visit your
house.

One person visited your house, and constructed outlets for hobnobs
from your hobnob-room. Big hoovers sucking the hobnobs from their
packages and spitting them out at the other end, which happens to be
outside your house or even in the next street.

He is bypassing your condition of 'visit me at home' for others to
obtain hobnobs. They get the hobnobs without the tea you were offering
with them, and without you having a chance to give some nutritional
information on the hobnobs.

Els is right. In general, there is something not quite nice
about simply using a pic from someone else's server without some
sort of explicit permission. Using the context of the website
from where it comes is a different matter, the permission then
being implied...

However, we all know there are no laws saying people need be
nice...

William Tasso

Noel S Pamfree said:
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to place a graphic on a website
which
is held on another server?

yes, of course it is - you need to supply an absolute reference to the
resource in your markup and be aware that some visitors will set their UAs
to ignore images from 3rd party (offsite) addresses.

Please do consider the benefits of KISS.