Can you persist table cell values like you can do with form field values?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Richard Dixson, May 18, 2004.

  1. Under ASP.NET (C#) I want to create a page that people can use to submit
    questions. This page will consist of a table with several rows of
    information, like:
    Name: Bill Smith
    Job title: Developer
    Address: 123 Main Street.

    After the table of information will be the web form. So basically I want to
    display the table and then have the web form.

    At the time the page is first displayed (before the form is submitted - the
    GET request) I want to dynamically set all the values in my table as shown
    above (Bill Smith, Developer, etc) based on a db lookup. That I know how to
    do. But once the web form is submitted (the POST request/postback) I want
    to be able to read in those values from the table cells that I set during
    the GET - without having to look them up from the db again. I could store
    all the values into session variables or make them into hidden form field
    values that get posted back in, but that seems messy.

    Is it possible to set things up so that when the page is posted back the
    table cell values I set previously (Bill Smith, Develooper, 123 Main Street)
    persist automatically through the power of ASP.NET - or do I have to get
    fancy and persist them on my own so that I have the values during the POST
    without having to look them back up? Either way, any tips on the easiest,
    most straight-forward way to do this is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Richard Dixson, May 18, 2004

  2. Richard Dixson

    Joe Fallon Guest

    I use Business Object classes for this.
    The BO is pouplated by the DB and bound to the form controls.
    I also use Rick Strahl's 2 way databinding controls so that I can call
    Unbind and all the form data is put into the BO with a single command. Then
    I toss the BO in Session for later use.

    http://www.west-wind.com/presentations/aspnetdatabinding/aspnetdatabinding.asp

    --
    Joe Fallon