Can you persist table cell values like you do with form field values?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Richard Dixson, May 18, 2004.

  1. Under ASP.NET (C#) I want to create a page that people can use to submit
    questions. This page will consist of a table with several rows of
    information, like:
    Name: Bill Smith
    Job title: Developer
    Address: 123 Main Street.

    After the table of information will be the web form. So basically I want to
    display the table and then have the web form.

    At the time the page is first displayed (before the form is submitted - the
    GET request) I want to dynamically set all the values in my table as shown
    above (Bill Smith, Developer, etc) based on a db lookup. That I know how to
    do. But once the web form is submitted (the POST request/postback) I want
    to be able to read in those values from the table cells that I set during
    the GET - without having to look them up from the db again. I could store
    all the values into session variables or make them into hidden form field
    values that get posted back in, but that seems messy.

    Is it possible to set things up so that when the page is posted back the
    table cell values I set previously (Bill Smith, Develooper, 123 Main Street)
    persist automatically through the power of ASP.NET - or do I have to get
    fancy and persist them on my own so that I have the values during the POST
    without having to look them back up? Either way, any tips on the easiest,
    most straight-forward way to do this is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.
    Richard Dixson, May 18, 2004

  2. Richard Dixson

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    The default behavior of Grid is to preserve it data using viewstate. On
    postback ASP.NET use viewstate data do rebuild your grid containing
    previous round data. Grids are actually tables that you can access via
    grid controls collection. You can use DataGridTable to access any rows
    and columns :
    string s = DataGrid1.Controls[0].Rows[1].Cells[0].Text;

    Natty Gur[MVP]

    blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

    Natty Gur, May 18, 2004

  3. As it turns out the information needed for my table I want to persist is not
    going to come from a database afterall. Instead it will come from values
    returned by a class library.

    With that in mind, can anyone point me to a sample that demonstrates how to
    populate a DataGrid control using data that comes from memory instead of a
    db? I assume this is possible? In other words say I want my table to look
    like this:

    Value 1: val2
    Value 2: val2
    Value 3: val3
    Value 5: val4
    Value 5: val5

    And I have these values ("val1" - "val5") in a string array. How do I
    create a datagrid and populate it using this array's values instead of a db
    value? Do I have to create an in memory dataset using other routines and
    give the grid this data set, and if so, how is this done? Or can I set
    these values directly? Any examples would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Richard Dixson, May 18, 2004