    search of the email and sends info back through the socket. I'm sure
    there might be other ideas as well for what you could do if it was
    possible or very easy as the PC could act as a sort of server.

    surf, Dec 20, 2006

  2. You can do most things you mention, but there are some practical problems
    (such as socket connections not being overly stable while you're on the
    move). Also, I suggest doing some actual research on the topic as most of
    the things that are possible and/or obvious have been done and implemented
    commercially already. If it's just to gain some skills then I think it's a
    good area to get involved in.

    Remon

    Remon van Vliet, Dec 20, 2006

  3. surf

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <>, surf
    ('') wrote:

    > I have read some papers on micro java. I am mainly interested in
    > asking this because I have been focused on Ruby on Rails, but might
    > consider Java if I could find an interesting project to work on. I have
    > done some Java and alot of C++, but not much J2EE, micro java etc.

    Building MIDlets is very easy. Many mobile phones accept them. You download
    the MIDlet from your website, so the installation is easy. A (free)
    emulator makes it easy to test and debug MIDlets on your PC, without
    having to download them to a phone first (and this is a good thing,
    because debugging on the phone is a bit of a chore).

    The security model is pretty restrictive and if you want to get round that
    you need a code signing certificate, which is a hassle. The user interface
    model is quite limited. Other than that CLDC/MIDlet is a good platform for
    building mobile applications.

    Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.

    Simon Brooke, Dec 20, 2006