Can you read a file at a URL location using vbscript or javascript?

Doug

I would appreciate a response on this.

I have clients who will be placing text files information about in a
network directory for example: http://www.protegen.com/clients/

Is it possible to read these text files using either vbscript or
javascript. What I am attempting to do is to read these files and then
create charts for viewing by each client.

A direct email to me at (e-mail address removed) will help.

Thanks for you response.

Douglas Taylor
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Protegen Business Intelligence
www.protegen.com

Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

Hi,
I would appreciate a response on this.

I have clients who will be placing text files information about in a
network directory for example: http://www.protegen.com/clients/

Is it possible to read these text files using either vbscript or
javascript. What I am attempting to do is to read these files and then
create charts for viewing by each client.

A direct email to me at (e-mail address removed) will help.

Thanks for you response.

Douglas Taylor
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Protegen Business Intelligence
www.protegen.com

One way it to script a Java applet:
http://www.galasoft-LB.ch/myjava/WebLoadFile/Demo/Demo.html

Laurent

Brian

Doug said:
I would appreciate a response on this.

I have clients who will be placing text files information about in a
network directory for example: http://www.protegen.com/clients/

Is it possible to read these text files using either vbscript or
javascript. What I am attempting to do is to read these files and then
create charts for viewing by each client.

A direct email to me at (e-mail address removed) will help.

Thanks for you response.

Douglas Taylor
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Protegen Business Intelligence
www.protegen.com

If your script is being hosted from the same domain as the files in
question, you can load the file up in an IFRAME, and use Javascript to peek
into the frame's DOM, getting the data.

If your script is being hosted in a different domain, there are security
restrictions put in Javascript that prevent frames from viewing each
other... Unless you use HTA, where the restrictions are lifted, but this is
not browser portable (Only works with IE 5+).

Brian

Doug

Laurent,

Thanks for your response. Your demo is great and it allows me to read
files that already exist. However, I don't think your Java applet will
work for my particular situation.

What I am attempting to do is create an automated way of processing my
clients files. I would like to read the files from the client's
network directory, and then trigger an application on my server to
create charts.

Any thoughts?

Doug said:
Laurent,

Thanks for your response. Your demo is great and it allows me to read
files that already exist. However, I don't think your Java applet will
work for my particular situation.

What I am attempting to do is create an automated way of processing my
clients files. I would like to read the files from the client's
network directory, and then trigger an application on my server to
create charts.

Any thoughts?

Douglas Taylor
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Protegen Business Intelligence
www.protegen.com

In that case, you can likely pipe the data back to the browser, using a mime
type of your file type.

Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

Hi,
Laurent,

Thanks for your response. Your demo is great and it allows me to read
files that already exist. However, I don't think your Java applet will
work for my particular situation.

What I am attempting to do is create an automated way of processing my
clients files. I would like to read the files from the client's
network directory, and then trigger an application on my server to
create charts.

Any thoughts?

Douglas Taylor

Thanks for the compliment.

If I were you, I would pass everything on the server, and have the
server read your client's files (given that it can access them at all,
which would be a precondition), and then process the charts.

It would be more reliable in any case.

HTH,

Laurent