Can you recommend any C programming books?

omar khan

Any books that helped you progress in C programming?

Where do you begin with C programming?

Can you recommend any websites?

How many months or years did it take you to become knowledge to write
software?

ajm

read the reference manual (Haribson / Steele) and take a look at the
CFAQ when you run into problems. many think you should be reading K&R
too.

start programming early, C is a contact sport and it doesn't help to
get buried in books.

how long it is going to take depends entirely on you ;)

omar khan

ajm said:
read the reference manual (Haribson / Steele) and take a look at the
CFAQ when you run into problems. many think you should be reading K&R
too.

start programming early, C is a contact sport and it doesn't help to
get buried in books.

how long it is going to take depends entirely on you ;)

K&R yes, I have that eBook. : -).

It is rather confusing to begin with, however the only way to get better at
programming is to practice, practice, practice coding and writing as many
programs.

It will probably take me a year to get to the level to write the software,
at the advanced stage maybe 2. Remember I have have got many ideas to
startup, but programming skills need to improve. ;-)

Jordan Abel

omar khan a écrit :

It's an felony to have such a copy. The K&R is a paper book and it is on
sale. Copies are illegal. Here is a free e-book:

Copyright violation of that magnitude is not generally a felony.
Also, if he also had a paper copy [though he did not indicate such]
there may be some jurisdictions in which it is not illegal to also
have an electronic copy no matter what the source. Under traditional
copyright law, receiving an illegal copy of a work may not itself be
copyright violation at all.

But, seriously - it's not that expensive - just buy it. it's less
than US$40 new and well worth it.

Greg Comeau

http://www.comeaucomputing.com/booklist

How many months or years did it take you to become knowledge to write
software?

I started programming in high school I think in 1978, and
I'm still learning. It takes many people a _good_ 6 months
to shake out the sillies and a good year to be in "beginner mode".

Skarmander

Emmanuel said:
omar khan a écrit :

It's an felony to have such a copy.
<snip>

No, it's not. It's not even a felony to make and distribute them.
Without delving into the legalese too much, "felony" is a word reserved
for grave criminal offenses (for suitable values of "grave"). Copyright
violation is not one of them in any legal system I know of.

Even so it's typically illegal to make and distribute copies without
permission, but not to simply own them. This is disregarding the
morality of the thing, of course, which I'll mercifully leave untouched.

Pardon the off-topic pedantry, but misconceptions about copyright are
too common and relevant these days to ignore.

S.

Walter Roberson

Without delving into the legalese too much, "felony" is a word reserved
for grave criminal offenses (for suitable values of "grave"). Copyright
violation is not one of them in any legal system I know of.

The US Digital Millenium Copyright Act introduced a new offence
of "criminal copyright violation" in instances where the value of
the copied work exceeded a certain value (and the limit is low enough
to include most name-brand commercial items whilst excluding
most personal writings and home businesses.)

Canada does not use the word 'felony', so technically nothing here is
a felony under Canadian law. Copyright violation falls under
the Copyright Act, not under Canada Criminal Code, but the Copyright Act
provides for up to 5 years in prison per copyright violation offence.
When I searched the Considated Statutes And Regulations, I was unable
to find any information about what classes of offences in Canada result in
"a criminal record".

omar khan

--
Greg Comeau / Celebrating 20 years of Comeauity!

Thats almost four decades of experience?!?!, surely by now you would be able
to write many thousands or millions of lines of code alone or as part of a
team of programmers?

Coos Haak

Op Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:03:28 GMT schreef omar khan:
Thats almost four decades of experience?!?!, surely by now you would be able
to write many thousands or millions of lines of code alone or as part of a
team of programmers?

What planet do you live on? 246 days a year is nice! How many holidays do
you folks have?

Skarmander

Walter said:
The US Digital Millenium Copyright Act introduced a new offence
of "criminal copyright violation" in instances where the value of
the copied work exceeded a certain value (and the limit is low enough
to include most name-brand commercial items whilst excluding
most personal writings and home businesses.)

> Canada does not use the word 'felony', so technically nothing here is
a felony under Canadian law. Copyright violation falls under
the Copyright Act, not under Canada Criminal Code, but the Copyright Act
provides for up to 5 years in prison per copyright violation offence.
When I searched the Considated Statutes And Regulations, I was unable
to find any information about what classes of offences in Canada result in
"a criminal record".

Yes, the DMCA did introduce a new class of offence beyond the common
breach of civil law and heightened the penalties on a few others. In
some cases and jurisdictions this might push a violation into the range
of "felony" (those that use "felony" for any crime that is punishable by
more than a year in prison, for example).

In any case, it's unlikely that merely owning an illicit copy of a book
classifies as a serious crime in any jurisdiction, or indeed as a crime
at all in most, let alone as a felony in those systems that make the
distinction.

S.

Walter Roberson

Thats almost four decades of experience?!?!,

Three decades, not four.
surely by now you would be able
to write many thousands or millions of lines of code alone or as part of a
team of programmers?

I must be 1-3 years older than Greg, and sure I can write a lot of
code alone or as part of a team of programmers. That doesn't mean
I'm not still learning about programming. The saying, "There's another
born every minute" can just about apply to programming languages and
programming techniques and programming in the context of specific devices.

As a quick example: I've been working hard with the Cisco PIX Firewall
("Security Appliance") for four years, going carefully over its
documentation, creating reference material, making a nuisance of myself
to the manufacturer, and deliberately seeking out and answering
literally thousands of questions so as to increase my understand of
it. Many people would say that I am a "PIX expert". Even so, I find
that at best I am able to answer 2 questions out of every 3, because
there is so much to know. The number of potential configuration
interactions on a device like the PIX is N factorial, where N is the
number of features. If the PIX had as few as 10 features, that would
be over 3 million potential feature interactions. If I had worked
8 hours a day, 365 days a year, for four years, I would have had
to have learned a new interaction every 12 seconds in order to know
all of those interactions by now.

Keith Thompson

Skarmander said:
In any case, it's unlikely that merely owning an illicit copy of a
book classifies as a serious crime in any jurisdiction, or indeed as a
crime at all in most, let alone as a felony in those systems that make
the distinction.

Regardless of the legalities, possessing an illicit copy of K&R2 is
extremely inconsiderate to Mr. Kernighan and Mr. Ritchie. The
revenues from their book are part of their income; depriving them and
their publisher of those revenues for the sake of your own convenience
is rude.

If they had chosen to make the contents of the book freely available,
of course, it would be a completely different situation, but they
haven't done so.

Greg Comeau

Thats almost four decades of experience?!?!

Not in earth year it is not. Or if so, they I'm glad to hear
I'm much younger looking that I actually am (which is good
because I've been recently thinking the opposite).
surely by now you would be able
to write many thousands or millions of lines of code alone or as part of a
team of programmers?

I'm sure I've written at least a million functional lines.
But I don't know how that negates that there is still things to learn. ??

Mark McIntyre

No, it's not. It's not even a felony to make and distribute them.

You're assuming that Emmanuel refers to the US definition of felony.
Given that he's french, this is not guaranteed.

Also, doesn't the DMCA criminalise copyright violation?

Skarmander

Mark said:
You're assuming that Emmanuel refers to the US definition of felony.
Given that he's french, this is not guaranteed.

Also, doesn't the DMCA criminalise copyright violation?

See elsewhere in this thread on the DMCA.

"Felony" is not exclusively US, but in general English it means "pretty
serious crime" (if you don't look too closely). It's just too strong a
term here. I'm not trying to get a language flame going here, mind you.
If you feel comfortable substituting "crime" and think I'm making too
sensitive a distinction, then by all means ignore it.

From what my limited skill in French can gather, "félonie" is certainly
not what he meant, since that doesn't refer to modern crime at all, but
to the original meaning of "feudal rebellion/treason". Even if there
were some cross-cultural/linguistic mixup, I'd still point out that the
word doesn't seem to mean quite what he wanted it to mean in English.

S.

Mabden

Walter Roberson said:
[...]

Slacker.

Jordan Abel

The US Digital Millenium Copyright Act introduced a new offence
of "criminal copyright violation" in instances where the value of
the copied work exceeded a certain value (and the limit is low enough
to include most name-brand commercial items whilst excluding
most personal writings and home businesses.)

Actually...
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/intell_prop_rts/SectIII.htm#A2b
| In order to charge a felony violation of the criminal copyright
| statute, the government must also prove that the infringing copies
| have a total retail value of more than $2,500. In an era where,
| for example, even the most basic computer programs often can cost
| more than $100, this rarely proves difficult. However, the value
| of the infringing goods becomes more of an issue in sentencing.
| See "Sentencing Guidelines," infra, p. 37.

Jordan Abel

Regardless of the legalities, possessing an illicit copy of K&R2 is
extremely inconsiderate to Mr. Kernighan and Mr. Ritchie. The
revenues from their book are part of their income; depriving them and
their publisher of those revenues for the sake of your own convenience
is rude.

If they had chosen to make the contents of the book freely available,
of course, it would be a completely different situation, but they
haven't done so.

Yes, that's very much true. This was only brought up because this is a
newsgroup full of nitpickers