can you recommend some easy ruby project for newbie?

nonocast

i am a ruby newbie
i learn something from ruby-lang.org & rubyonrails.com
but it's only syntax.
i want to learn more about project written by ruby.
thanks.

nonocast

thanks Nathan.
but it's all about python :(
i want to read some ruby code
it doesn't very large.just a small program.
something like rails is too complex to me.
i am a newbie.i want to know how to start.

William Ramirez

------=_Part_30146_468187.1131257519061

I took a glance at Nathan's list, and most seem general enough to apply to
Ruby.

Personally, I like to pick small, personal projects to learn a new language=

Bill Kelly

Hi,

From: "nonocast said:
i want to read some ruby code
it doesn't very large.just a small program.
something like rails is too complex to me.
i am a newbie.i want to know how to start.

If rails is too complex, you could flip to the other
end of the spectrum, and experiment with a "hello world"
program using the CGI library. This might be helpful,
on the supposition that learning some CGI basics should
give some insight into what frameworks like Rails and
others are attempting to help make simpler.

The WEBrick HTTP server has been bundled with the
standard library since Ruby-1-8-0. This would allow you
to serve your own web pages on your local machine, to
develop your program and learn about CGI and web
programming. Because CGI is a standard protocol, CGI
programs that you develop using WEBrick will translate
to servers like Apache, so if you have an Internet
web host that supports Ruby (there are many to choose
from) your CGI programs developed on your local
computer using WEBrick, will run on the Internet, too.

If you want to store your data in a database, you have
options from the simple (Marshal/YAML -- built-in to
Ruby) to ActiveRecord or Og or other object-relational-
mapper services, as well as direct SQL database
connections via DBI, . . .

So you can start simple, but might find basic CGI
learning useful, if you're interested in web programming
and rails.

Just a thought

Regards,

Bill

James Britt

William said:
I took a glance at Nathan's list, and most seem general enough to apply to
Ruby.

Personally, I like to pick small, personal projects to learn a new language.
I pick a repetitive task I do often and try to automate them. Your mileage
may vary.

This is a good suggestion. The Ruby Quizzes may be a source of
interesting challenges, and the solutions are often good examples of
clever Ruby hacking, but motivation when learning is key, and starting
simple and expanding can be a good path.

Scratching your own itch, if even somewhat trivial, makes it personal.
You can start small, automate a simple task, and then add features and
try out better implementations over time.

James

Jim

There are several tutorials on the web. I like to fire up irb, and go
through them just for fun.

Kevin Brown

thanks for everybody
btw, is there any project for newbie to read?

I would say start with the online version of the pickaxe.

http://www.rubycentral.com/book/

This builds a (cheesy, but it works) example of a jukebox from scratch. It's
Ruby 1.6, but you'll find the basics are the same. Most of us on this list
own the second version of the book, it's GREAT.

nonocast

I have already read this book.:)
this's a good book and a good start.but not a real project.

Gregory Brown

I have already read this book.:)
this's a good book and a good start.but not a real project.

You might try sifting through RubyForge. You can browse the source
online for almost any of the projects there. You can take a look at
the projects i'm on (HighLine, Gambit, Ruport) but none of them are
especially good "Newbie" projects. However, Gambit's models might be
fairly easy to understand (lib/gambit/tools)

http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gambit/lib/gambit/tools/?cvsroot=
=3Dgambit

and you can learn a bit more by reading the unit tests and example
code in there as well.

As far as the controller goes, that's a whole other story :)

What kind of project are you looking for? That might help us point
you in the right direction.

Still, as others have mentioned, the best approach is scratching a
personal itch. You'll learn a lot more that way. :)

Gary Watson

All of my projects qualify, that is if you follow the logic that they
are all written by a newb and are better qualified for newbie reading.