    Thanks in advance

    LEESA (I)

    , Dec 5, 2005

  2. Marc Guest

    wrote:
    > As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
    > web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
    > of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.
    >
    > Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
    > dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
    > OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).
    >
    > I just want to know if I can use this FTP with dial-up for my simple
    > and basic page or it would be better to use the BROWSER upload method
    > at their site.

    Assuming by 'browser support' you mean some kind of HTML-based file
    manager, there wouldn't be a lot in it, using FTP would be marginally
    faster, because it doesn't have the added HTTP traffic to load the
    'browser support'.

    Marc

    Marc, Dec 5, 2005

    wrote:
    > As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
    > web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
    > of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.
    >
    > Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
    > dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
    > OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).
    >
    > I just want to know if I can use this FTP with dial-up for my simple
    > and basic page or it would be better to use the BROWSER upload method
    > at their site.

    Yes you can use FTP upload to your web site if the host supports FTP,
    and most do. In fact many pro hosts support only FTP. Many hosts,
    especially for hobby web pages, have some sort of file manager that
    allows you to upload and download from there when signed in at your
    host. Since both methods involve use of the same connection from your
    computer to them, they both will have a speed that is not very
    different. An exception may be for a host that overloads their servers,
    resulting in general slowness at peak traffic times and sometimes
    slowness on their file manager. Uploading a simple web page by either
    method usually is fairly fast, even on dialup. What can be slow is a
    page with a very large number of high resolution images or streaming
    music or video. However, if you want to backup your whole web site from
    your host to your computer, or upload a whole existing site from your
    computer to a host, this can be very slow on dialup. In that case, you
    may have to upload or download one directory at a time rather than the
    whole site. It is no fun at all to download for a few hours, only to
    have a problem break your connection, so that you have to start over.
    And some ISPs limit connection time and cut you off after a fixed time.
    Although I am now on SBC/Yahoo DSL Pro, which is very fast, I have used
    MSN dialup in the past, and there were no problems with FTP or using a
    host file manager upload-download, other than the mentioned slowness.

    Using FTP requires an FTP agent program on your computer. There are
    some free ones and many pay ones. I use CuteFTP Pro, which must be
    bought.

    , Dec 5, 2005
  4. Jim Higson Guest

    wrote:

    > As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
    > web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
    > of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.
    >
    > Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
    > dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
    > OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).

    Maybe not actually. A nice, small static site can be made in a couple of
    megs. At 3k/s that'd take about 12minutes which isn't *that* bad. Consider
    the poor CPIP users: http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/

    Jim Higson, Dec 5, 2005
  5. On 5 Dec 2005 08:54:11 -0800, wrote:

    >As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
    >web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
    >of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.
    >
    >Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
    >dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
    >OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).

    I used to use dial-up and managed a couple of websites (hobby sites)
    using an ftp client. I used (and still use) WS_FTP LE.

    Actually, even though my host supports file transfer using the Cpanel
    browser interface, I still prefer to use an ftp client for uploading.

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

    Nick Theodorakis, Dec 6, 2005
  6. wrote:

    > Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL
    > with a dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and
    > to me that's OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty
    > patient ... lol ).

    Then go for it. I always use FTP on my dialup, for maintaining my
    sites.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Chris Beall Guest

    wrote:
    > As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
    > web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
    > of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.
    >
    > Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
    > dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
    > OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).
    >
    > I just want to know if I can use this FTP with dial-up for my simple
    > and basic page or it would be better to use the BROWSER upload method
    > at their site.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    LEESA,

    I use FTP on dialup for all of my sites. I tend to be conservative on
    page size, so it doesn't take long at all to update an entire site.

    For my FTP program, I use......Internet Explorer. It works fine and it
    came on my system. In fact it works better as an FTP program than as a
    browser.

    Chris Beall

    Chris Beall, Dec 6, 2005
  8. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > Most people, especially women, and computers, can do 2
    > things at once.

    But computers usually do them right.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Dec 6, 2005
  9. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Chris Beall quothed:

    > LEESA,
    >
    > I use FTP on dialup for all of my sites. I tend to be conservative on
    > page size, so it doesn't take long at all to update an entire site.
    >
    > For my FTP program, I use......Internet Explorer. It works fine and it
    > came on my system. In fact it works better as an FTP program than as a
    > browser.

    <grin> Nice one. I agree IE's ftp is quite good and what I always use,
    too. Never could understand why anyone would _want_ to use an ftp
    client or even a "control panel".

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Dec 6, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > <grin> Nice one. I agree IE's ftp is quite good and what I always use,
    > too. Never could understand why anyone would _want_ to use an ftp
    > client or even a "control panel".

    Real men use ftp from a shell. I know it's available for some
    incantation of Microsoft software. I coached my son-in-law over the
    phone once on its use.
    I became a fake man long ago but still remember how to use it.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Dec 6, 2005
  11. Toby Inkster Guest

    Marc wrote:

    > Assuming by 'browser support' you mean some kind of HTML-based file
    > manager, there wouldn't be a lot in it, using FTP would be marginally
    > faster, because it doesn't have the added HTTP traffic to load the
    > 'browser support'.

    But HTTP can take advantage of Gzip compression, whereas FTP can't.
    This compression won't make much difference for JPEG images, MP3s, etc,
    but can be useful on large plain text or HTML files.

    That said, FTP is a much nicer interface than a web-based file manager.

    Even better ways of transferring files are Rsync, SFTP and SCP (in roughly
    that order).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 6, 2005
  12. Marc Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > But HTTP can take advantage of Gzip compression, whereas FTP can't.

    But in my experience, most free website file managers don't.

    > That said, FTP is a much nicer interface than a web-based file manager.

    Agreed, and you can choose an FTP Program to suit your needs and taste.

    > Even better ways of transferring files are Rsync, SFTP and SCP (in roughly
    > that order).

    Yup, I use SCP regularly, I haven't used FTP in years.

    Marc

    Marc, Dec 6, 2005
  13. dorayme Guest

    > From: Neredbojias <>

    > With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
    >
    >> Most people, especially women, and computers, can do 2
    >> things at once.

    > But computers usually do them right.

    I have a Xmas present for you too Boji. Finally, I have arranged a little
    meeting for you on the day with officer Bud White....

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 6, 2005
  14. On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 03:09:07 GMT, Chris Beall
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
    >> web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
    >> of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.
    >>
    >> Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
    >> dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
    >> OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).
    >>
    >> I just want to know if I can use this FTP with dial-up for my simple
    >> and basic page or it would be better to use the BROWSER upload method
    >> at their site.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> LEESA (I)
    >>

    >LEESA,
    >
    >I use FTP on dialup for all of my sites. I tend to be conservative on
    >page size, so it doesn't take long at all to update an entire site.
    >
    >For my FTP program, I use......Internet Explorer. It works fine and it
    >came on my system. In fact it works better as an FTP program than as a
    >browser.
    >
    >Chris Beall

    This is exactly my experience. The FTP upload takes about as long as
    a download, so if a site doesn't have a lot of video clips or other
    huge files, the FTP upload with IE is no problem at all.

    Center For Practical Self Defense
    Riverside, California
    www.centerforpracticalselfdefense.com

    Doug Mazzacua, Dec 7, 2005
  15. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

    > > From: Neredbojias <>

    > > With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
    > >
    > >> Most people, especially women, and computers, can do 2
    > >> things at once.

    > > But computers usually do them right.
    > >

    > I have a Xmas present for you too Boji. Finally, I have arranged a little
    > meeting for you on the day with officer Bud White....

    Well, Christmas with Bud will probably be better than Christmas with
    Bing, anyway. I had a present for you, too, but the janitor shoveled it
    in the boiler.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Dec 7, 2005
  16. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:

    > In article <>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    > > <grin> Nice one. I agree IE's ftp is quite good and what I always use,
    > > too. Never could understand why anyone would _want_ to use an ftp
    > > client or even a "control panel".

    > Real men use ftp from a shell. I know it's available for some
    > incantation of Microsoft software. I coached my son-in-law over the
    > phone once on its use.
    > I became a fake man long ago but still remember how to use it.
    >
    > leo

    Well, as long as you remember how to use it, you can't be all fake.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Dec 7, 2005
  17. dorayme Guest

    > From: Blinky the Shark <>

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL
    >> with a dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and
    >> to me that's OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty
    >> patient ... lol ).

    > Then go for it. I always use FTP on my dialup, for maintaining my
    > sites.

    With 56K modems, it is not so slow. Put it this way, html text
    files take almost no time on average. Pics are a different story
    if there are a lot and they are biggish. You (OP) will see, but it is
    quite manageable.

    Most people, especially women, and computers, can do 2
    things at once. So think of something else to do while you are
    uploading stuff. Don't just be patient. Be busy instead. Best
    do things that do not add to the bandwidth
    burden. Like... er... working on a doc, manipulating a pic,
    even cleaning out the dog kennel...

    --
    dorayme

    When were motorbikes first mentioned in The Bible?

    dorayme, Dec 8, 2005