Can you use an FTP program with dial-up???

Leesa_Tay

As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.

Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).

I just want to know if I can use this FTP with dial-up for my simple
and basic page or it would be better to use the BROWSER upload method
at their site.

Thanks in advance

LEESA (I)

Marc

As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.

Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).

I just want to know if I can use this FTP with dial-up for my simple
and basic page or it would be better to use the BROWSER upload method
at their site.

Assuming by 'browser support' you mean some kind of HTML-based file
manager, there wouldn't be a lot in it, using FTP would be marginally
faster, because it doesn't have the added HTTP traffic to load the
'browser support'.

Marc

cwdjrxyz

As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.

Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).

I just want to know if I can use this FTP with dial-up for my simple
and basic page or it would be better to use the BROWSER upload method
at their site.

Yes you can use FTP upload to your web site if the host supports FTP,
and most do. In fact many pro hosts support only FTP. Many hosts,
especially for hobby web pages, have some sort of file manager that
allows you to upload and download from there when signed in at your
host. Since both methods involve use of the same connection from your
computer to them, they both will have a speed that is not very
different. An exception may be for a host that overloads their servers,
resulting in general slowness at peak traffic times and sometimes
slowness on their file manager. Uploading a simple web page by either
method usually is fairly fast, even on dialup. What can be slow is a
page with a very large number of high resolution images or streaming
music or video. However, if you want to backup your whole web site from
your host to your computer, or upload a whole existing site from your
computer to a host, this can be very slow on dialup. In that case, you
may have to upload or download one directory at a time rather than the
whole site. It is no fun at all to download for a few hours, only to
have a problem break your connection, so that you have to start over.
And some ISPs limit connection time and cut you off after a fixed time.
Although I am now on SBC/Yahoo DSL Pro, which is very fast, I have used
MSN dialup in the past, and there were no problems with FTP or using a
host file manager upload-download, other than the mentioned slowness.

Using FTP requires an FTP agent program on your computer. There are
some free ones and many pay ones. I use CuteFTP Pro, which must be
bought.

Jim Higson

As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.

Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).

Maybe not actually. A nice, small static site can be made in a couple of
megs. At 3k/s that'd take about 12minutes which isn't *that* bad. Consider
the poor CPIP users: http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/

Nick Theodorakis

As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.

Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).

I used to use dial-up and managed a couple of websites (hobby sites)
using an ftp client. I used (and still use) WS_FTP LE.

Actually, even though my host supports file transfer using the Cpanel
browser interface, I still prefer to use an ftp client for uploading.

Nick

Blinky the Shark

wrote:
Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL
with a dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and
to me that's OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty
patient ... lol ).

Then go for it. I always use FTP on my dialup, for maintaining my
sites.

Chris Beall

As I have mentioned a few times in here recently I plan on building a
web page very soon at one of the sites that allow it at no cost. Some
of them mention that they support FTP as opposed to BROWSER support.

Can I use FTP, which I know stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL with a
dial-up connection? I know it would be extremely slow and to me that's
OK because I am a patient person (well, pretty patient ... lol ).

I just want to know if I can use this FTP with dial-up for my simple
and basic page or it would be better to use the BROWSER upload method
at their site.

Thanks in advance

LEESA (I)
LEESA,

I use FTP on dialup for all of my sites. I tend to be conservative on
page size, so it doesn't take long at all to update an entire site.

For my FTP program, I use......Internet Explorer. It works fine and it
came on my system. In fact it works better as an FTP program than as a
browser.

Chris Beall

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
Most people, especially women, and computers, can do 2
things at once.

But computers usually do them right.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Chris Beall quothed:
LEESA,

I use FTP on dialup for all of my sites. I tend to be conservative on
page size, so it doesn't take long at all to update an entire site.

For my FTP program, I use......Internet Explorer. It works fine and it
came on my system. In fact it works better as an FTP program than as a
browser.

<grin> Nice one. I agree IE's ftp is quite good and what I always use,
too. Never could understand why anyone would _want_ to use an ftp
client or even a "control panel".

Leonard Blaisdell

Neredbojias said:
<grin> Nice one. I agree IE's ftp is quite good and what I always use,
too. Never could understand why anyone would _want_ to use an ftp
client or even a "control panel".

Real men use ftp from a shell. I know it's available for some
incantation of Microsoft software. I coached my son-in-law over the
phone once on its use.
I became a fake man long ago but still remember how to use it.

leo

Toby Inkster

Marc said:
Assuming by 'browser support' you mean some kind of HTML-based file
manager, there wouldn't be a lot in it, using FTP would be marginally
faster, because it doesn't have the added HTTP traffic to load the
'browser support'.

But HTTP can take advantage of Gzip compression, whereas FTP can't.
This compression won't make much difference for JPEG images, MP3s, etc,
but can be useful on large plain text or HTML files.

That said, FTP is a much nicer interface than a web-based file manager.

Even better ways of transferring files are Rsync, SFTP and SCP (in roughly
that order).

Marc

Toby said:
But HTTP can take advantage of Gzip compression, whereas FTP can't.

But in my experience, most free website file managers don't.
That said, FTP is a much nicer interface than a web-based file manager.

Agreed, and you can choose an FTP Program to suit your needs and taste.
Even better ways of transferring files are Rsync, SFTP and SCP (in roughly
that order).

Yup, I use SCP regularly, I haven't used FTP in years.

Marc

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

But computers usually do them right.

I have a Xmas present for you too Boji. Finally, I have arranged a little
meeting for you on the day with officer Bud White....

Doug Mazzacua

LEESA,

I use FTP on dialup for all of my sites. I tend to be conservative on
page size, so it doesn't take long at all to update an entire site.

For my FTP program, I use......Internet Explorer. It works fine and it
came on my system. In fact it works better as an FTP program than as a
browser.

Chris Beall

This is exactly my experience. The FTP upload takes about as long as
a download, so if a site doesn't have a lot of video clips or other
huge files, the FTP upload with IE is no problem at all.

Center For Practical Self Defense
Riverside, California
www.centerforpracticalselfdefense.com

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
I have a Xmas present for you too Boji. Finally, I have arranged a little
meeting for you on the day with officer Bud White....

Well, Christmas with Bud will probably be better than Christmas with
Bing, anyway. I had a present for you, too, but the janitor shoveled it
in the boiler.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:
Real men use ftp from a shell. I know it's available for some
incantation of Microsoft software. I coached my son-in-law over the
phone once on its use.
I became a fake man long ago but still remember how to use it.

leo

Well, as long as you remember how to use it, you can't be all fake.

dorayme

From: Blinky the Shark said:
wrote:

Then go for it. I always use FTP on my dialup, for maintaining my
sites.
With 56K modems, it is not so slow. Put it this way, html text
files take almost no time on average. Pics are a different story
if there are a lot and they are biggish. You (OP) will see, but it is
quite manageable.

Most people, especially women, and computers, can do 2
things at once. So think of something else to do while you are
uploading stuff. Don't just be patient. Be busy instead. Best
do things that do not add to the bandwidth
burden. Like... er... working on a doc, manipulating a pic,
even cleaning out the dog kennel...