Can You Verify Please??

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mark Parnell, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Mark Parnell

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:10:10 GMT, "MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk"
    <> declared in alt.html:

    Presumably http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/july2.html

    > I am not the best at html so am not very confident that this will have
    > worked and especially for all browsers.

    The HTML has nothing to do with it.

    > When you click on the individual dates does that update come up for you?

    Yes.

    > Also is there anything wrong in using these types of menus? Can some
    > browsers not view them?

    Anyone with Javascript disabled/unavailable (most estimates say around
    15%). Plus Googlebot (though in this case the additional text is in the
    source, so Googlebot will still see it anyway). You could display the
    information by default (which you're not doing at the moment), then hide
    it with Javascript when the page loads (and show it again when the link
    is followed). That way everyone will still get the information. But I
    think you're trying to do too much. Why not just link them to separate
    pages? Or even anchors in the current page if you really want to? The
    user has to download all of the information anyway, so why not let them
    see it?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Mark Parnell

    Phil Guest

    "MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have tried using more advanced menu html for the first time this evening
    > and I was just wondering if it works on other's computers.
    >
    > Hoping that someone could quickly verify it for me.
    > http://www.magicfreebiesuk/july2.html
    >
    > I am not the best at html so am not very confident that this will have
    > worked and especially for all browsers.
    >
    > When you click on the individual dates does that update come up for you?
    >
    > Also is there anything wrong in using these types of menus? Can some
    > browsers not view them?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Tom
    >

    > --
    > MagicFreebiesUK
    > http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk
    > Updated Daily!!!!

    Tried the link you provided but all I got was a " Bad Gateway" erroes page.
    Sorry, I hope this helps - this was on I.E. 6

    MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk, Jul 28, 2004
  4. "Phil" <> wrote in message

    > "MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have tried using more advanced menu html for the first time this

    evening
    > > and I was just wondering if it works on other's computers.
    > >
    > > Hoping that someone could quickly verify it for me.
    > > http://www.magicfreebiesuk/july2.html
    > >
    > > I am not the best at html so am not very confident that this will have
    > > worked and especially for all browsers.
    > >
    > > When you click on the individual dates does that update come up for you?
    > >
    > > Also is there anything wrong in using these types of menus? Can some
    > > browsers not view them?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > > Tom
    > >

    > > --
    > > MagicFreebiesUK
    > > http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk
    > > Updated Daily!!!!
    > >

    > Tried the link you provided but all I got was a " Bad Gateway" erroes

    page.
    > Sorry, I hope this helps - this was on I.E. 6

    Sorry its http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/july2.html

    Thanks
    MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Mark Parnell

    Toby Inkster Guest

    MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk wrote:

    > Also is there anything wrong in using these types of menus? Can some
    > browsers not view them?

    Any browser with CSS support but no Javascript (either not supported,
    switched off or filtered out by a proxy) will not be able to access the
    content. There is a simple fix though:

    Change this:

    to this:

    (do that for all the expandy bits)

    and then create a Javascript function called "init" like this:

    <script type="text/javascript"><!--
    function init(){
    document.getElementById('listOne').style.display='none';
    document.getElementById('listTwo').style.display='none';
    document.getElementById('listThree').style.display='none';
    }
    //--></script>

    and add it to your body onload:

    Now the lists will be initially hidden using Javascript (not CSS).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./dido/life_for_rent/01_-_white_flag.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Jul 28, 2004