    this?

    Thanks,

    Tony

    Tony, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Tony

    Howard Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Is there any event you can catch that would you allow to cancel the
    > deletion of a file or directory. The FileSystemEventHandler allows you
    > to catch file operations after they have occurred but I need to be
    > able to catch it before it occurs. Does anyone know a way of doing
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Hi Tony,

    please ignore the response by Tommy McDaniel...it was as rude as they get.
    (Also, please ignore the rants of "perseus", who apparently has the day off
    from junior high and nothing better to do.) But to get a good answer to
    your question, you'll need to post it to a microsoft-specific newsgroup.
    Check the news.microsoft.com news server for available .NET groups...there
    are plenty. (By the way, if you are not in control of the deletions in the
    first place, my guess is that you won't be able to intercept them until they
    happen....but as I said it's just my guess.)

    -Howard

    Howard, Aug 12, 2003

  3. Tony wrote:
    > Is there any event you can catch that would you allow to cancel the
    > deletion of a file or directory. The FileSystemEventHandler allows you
    > to catch file operations after they have occurred but I need to be
    > able to catch it before it occurs. Does anyone know a way of doing
    > this?

    Your question has nothing to do with C++, but with a
    specific library and OS.
    You have better chances in getting an answer in

    microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

    or maybe in one of the

    microsoft.public.vc.*

    groups.

    I have never heard about this FileSystemEventHandler
    function, so I cant really tell which of this ng's suits
    your needs best.

    greets,

    Christoph

    Christoph Rabel, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Tony

    Socketd Guest

    On 12 Aug 2003 13:53:42 -0700
    (Tommy McDaniel) wrote:

    > (Tony) wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > Is there any event you can catch that would you allow to cancel the
    > > deletion of a file or directory. The FileSystemEventHandler allows
    > > you to catch file operations after they have occurred but I need to
    > > be able to catch it before it occurs. Does anyone know a way of
    > > doing this?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Tony

    > Now just what in the crap does that have to do with Standard C++?

    No no, that is NOT the way to say it!

    Tony, you post is OT, you should ask in a .NET newsgroup, this is a
    group for standard C++ and .NET is not standard C++.

    br
    socketd

    Socketd, Aug 12, 2003
  5. "Howard" <> wrote in message news:<bhblce$>...
    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > Is there any event you can catch that would you allow to cancel the
    > > deletion of a file or directory. The FileSystemEventHandler allows you
    > > to catch file operations after they have occurred but I need to be
    > > able to catch it before it occurs. Does anyone know a way of doing
    > > this?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >

    > Hi Tony,
    >
    > please ignore the response by Tommy McDaniel...it was as rude as they get.
    > (Also, please ignore the rants of "perseus", who apparently has the day off
    > from junior high and nothing better to do.) But to get a good answer to
    > your question, you'll need to post it to a microsoft-specific newsgroup.
    > Check the news.microsoft.com news server for available .NET groups...there
    > are plenty. (By the way, if you are not in control of the deletions in the
    > first place, my guess is that you won't be able to intercept them until they
    > happen....but as I said it's just my guess.)
    >
    > -Howard

    No claim was made that it was not rude. Nevertheless, telling someone
    to ignore everyone else so that you can say basically the same thing
    but in a much more long-winded manner is just brilliant. I'm all for
    being polite, but there's a point (like, oh, say, when half the
    fricking page for the newsgroup as displayed by Google Groups is taken
    up by people talking about all kinds of crap that bear no importance
    whatsoever to the topic of the stinking newsgroup) where one starts to
    lose patience over .Net questions in a Standard C++ newsgroup.

    Tommy McDaniel

    Tommy McDaniel, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Tony

    Howard Guest

    > > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi there,
    > > >
    > > > Is there any event you can catch that would you allow to cancel the
    > > > deletion of a file or directory. The FileSystemEventHandler allows you
    > > > to catch file operations after they have occurred but I need to be
    > > > able to catch it before it occurs. Does anyone know a way of doing
    > > > this?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >

    > > Hi Tony,
    > >
    > > please ignore the response by Tommy McDaniel...it was as rude as they

    get.
    > > (Also, please ignore the rants of "perseus", who apparently has the day

    off
    > > from junior high and nothing better to do.) But to get a good answer to
    > > your question, you'll need to post it to a microsoft-specific newsgroup.
    > > Check the news.microsoft.com news server for available .NET

    groups...there
    > > are plenty. (By the way, if you are not in control of the deletions in

    the
    > > first place, my guess is that you won't be able to intercept them until

    they
    > > happen....but as I said it's just my guess.)
    > >
    > > -Howard

    > No claim was made that it was not rude. Nevertheless, telling someone
    > to ignore everyone else so that you can say basically the same thing
    > but in a much more long-winded manner is just brilliant. I'm all for
    > being polite, but there's a point (like, oh, say, when half the
    > fricking page for the newsgroup as displayed by Google Groups is taken
    > up by people talking about all kinds of crap that bear no importance
    > whatsoever to the topic of the stinking newsgroup) where one starts to
    > lose patience over .Net questions in a Standard C++ newsgroup.
    >
    > Tommy McDaniel

    My, my...a little touchy, aren't we! Let me guess...you've been reading
    that crap from perseus? :) In case you haven't read your own response, it
    does *not* say the same thing as mine. I suggested (in a couple sentences,
    not in a any long-winded fashion) exactly where he might find the help he
    desired. You replied with profanity, and no explanation at all. And your
    response only makes sense if the OP knows (in advance) that his topic was,
    well, off-topic. Despite what many say here, newbies in general have no
    idea that there even *is* an FAQ page until they are told so. If I walked
    into a hardware store and asked where the milk was, and you responded by
    asking "what in the crap milk has to do with hardware", you'd be looking for
    a fight, or at least a well-aimed finger. You *might* consider giving
    newbies a break, once at least, and either being polite in your response or
    ignoring their post altogether. There is absolutely NO reason to snap his
    head off like that. (At least not until they start acting like our dear
    friend perseus.)

    -Howard

    Howard, Aug 13, 2003
  7. "Howard" <> wrote in message news:<bhdh39$>...
    > "Tommy McDaniel" <> wrote in message
    > > "Howard" <> wrote in message

    > > > "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > > > Hi Tony,
    > > >
    > > > please ignore the response by Tommy McDaniel...it was as rude as they

    > get.
    > > > (Also, please ignore the rants of "perseus", who apparently has the day

    > off
    > > > from junior high and nothing better to do.) But to get a good answer to
    > > > your question, you'll need to post it to a microsoft-specific newsgroup.
    > > > Check the news.microsoft.com news server for available .NET

    > groups...there
    > > > are plenty. (By the way, if you are not in control of the deletions in

    > the
    > > > first place, my guess is that you won't be able to intercept them until

    > they
    > > > happen....but as I said it's just my guess.)
    > > >
    > > > -Howard

    > > No claim was made that it was not rude. Nevertheless, telling someone
    > > to ignore everyone else so that you can say basically the same thing
    > > but in a much more long-winded manner is just brilliant. I'm all for
    > > being polite, but there's a point (like, oh, say, when half the
    > > fricking page for the newsgroup as displayed by Google Groups is taken
    > > up by people talking about all kinds of crap that bear no importance
    > > whatsoever to the topic of the stinking newsgroup) where one starts to
    > > lose patience over .Net questions in a Standard C++ newsgroup.
    > >
    > > Tommy McDaniel

    > My, my...a little touchy, aren't we! Let me guess...you've been reading
    > that crap from perseus? :)

    Not really, although I've seen all the threads. Time is too scarce a
    resource to waste your time on crap like that.

    > You replied with profanity, and no explanation at all.

    Uh, unless "crap" is now profanity, you're just making stuff up. And I
    did explain that comp.lang.c++ wasn't the group for your .Net needs,
    whether you like how I expressed it or not.

    > And your response only makes sense if the OP knows (in advance) that his topic
    > was, well, off-topic.

    The fact that this is comp.lang.c++ and not comp.lang..net should have
    alerted him to the fact that he was off-topic.

    > Despite what many say here, newbies in general have no idea that there even
    > *is* an FAQ page until they are told so.

    You don't need the FAQ to read the sign that says comp.lang.c++.

    > If I walked into a hardware store and asked where the milk was, and you
    > responded by asking "what in the crap milk has to do with hardware", you'd be
    > looking for a fight, or at least a well-aimed finger.

    And yet, if half of everybody that came through my hardware store was
    asking for milk, you'd not only probably get a response similar to the
    one you just mentioned, but I might not care too much about the
    consequences either.

    > You *might* consider giving newbies a break, once at least, and either being
    > polite in your response or ignoring their post altogether.

    As I usually am, those times that I don't ignore them, which I almost
    always do. I already explained to you the cause for my attitude in
    this instance, although I must admit that I'm getting just about sick
    of all the .Net questions here.

    > There is absolutely NO reason to snap his head off like that.

    Sure there was, just not necessarily the best one in your opinion.
    Until robots start visiting newsgroups, you're going to have to deal
    with humans and their limited patience.

    > (At least not until they start acting like our dear friend perseus.)

    Hmm, getting people's private information is easy these days, just cry
    "copyright violation," no proof needed or anything. I'm all for
    forming a comp.lang.c++ mob, going to his house, and beating him with
    a stick in his own yard.

    Tommy McDaniel

    Tommy McDaniel, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Christoph Rabel <-graz.ac.at> wrote in message news:<3f395967$0$12398$>...
    > Tony wrote:
    > > Is there any event you can catch that would you allow to cancel the
    > > deletion of a file or directory. The FileSystemEventHandler allows you
    > > to catch file operations after they have occurred but I need to be
    > > able to catch it before it occurs. Does anyone know a way of doing
    > > this?

    > Your question has nothing to do with C++, but with a
    > specific library and OS.
    > You have better chances in getting an answer in
    >
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
    >
    > or maybe in one of the
    >
    > microsoft.public.vc.*
    >
    > groups.
    >
    > I have never heard about this FileSystemEventHandler
    > function, so I cant really tell which of this ng's suits
    > your needs best.
    >
    > greets,
    >
    > Christoph

    thanks for the GENUINE reponses. i must admit that i posted the
    original question quite quickly and did not realize there was a better
    category for it.

    thanks to those of you trying to point me in the right direction...and
    to the others, you need to take a break.

    tony

    Tony, Aug 26, 2003