Cancelling Authentication Request

Wayne Carlaw

I have successfully implemented Peter Bromberg's Digest authentication
assembly (http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20030701.asp). One thing I've
noticed though that I can't figure out. If a user cancels the request, they
receive a .NET 401 application error page - not the Response.Write "Access
Denied". I've tried every way I can think of to customize that page -
customErrors in web.config, capturing the HttpApplication.Error event,
configuring the IIS default error page, etc, but nothing seems to work. Any
ideas on how I can get rid of this ugly default error page? Interesting to
note, it only occurs the first time. Once the user clicks the OK button (to
attempt authentication and gets rejected) and then clicks the "Cancel"
button, the customized error page appears.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.