Cannot access 'CDO' object.

Martin Robins

I know that this has been asked before; and not only that, I know that it has been answered (successfully) as I myself have previously resolved the problem (with help) - however, I cannot for the life of me remember what the solution was.

I am trying to send an email from an ASP.net application. If I send the email with the MailMessage.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Text then it sends fine; if I set MailMessage.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html then I get the following exception:
COMException (0x80040605): Unknown Error]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters) +0
System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473
System.Type.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args) +29
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.SetProp(Type type, Object obj, String propName, Object propValue)
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.SetProp(Object obj, String propName, Object propValue)

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.SetProp(Object obj, String propName, Object propValue)
System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message)
System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message)
My code is simple:
// Prepare the message to be sent ...
MailMessage mailMessage = new MailMessage();
mailMessage.To = "martin.robins@..."; // Changed to avoid spam
mailMessage.From = "emails@..."; // Changed to avoid spam
mailMessage.Subject = "My email";
mailMessage.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html;
mailMessage.Body = "<html><body>Welcome<P>New line text<BR>Another line</P></body></html>";
SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "MyServer";
SmtpMail.Send(mailMessage);
I am using Framework 1.1 on Windows/XP Pro - I also have Office 2003 installed (I seem to recall that this is relevant)

All help gratefully accepted. I have already tried the usual candidates (MS Knowledgebase, systemwebmail.com etc.) and I cannot find the answer on there. I have also tried catching the exception and looking for inner exceptions; I cannot identify any further information from them than is shown above!

Thanks.

Newbie

Most likley scenario is that your machine ( server ) is not enabled to allow mail relay. You need to correct this. See your exchange settings or look in your policy documents on your local machine if this is where you are running it from.
"Martin Robins" <martin dot robins at technicaldirect dot co dot uk> wrote in message I know that this has been asked before; and not only that, I know that it has been answered (successfully) as I myself have previously resolved the problem (with help) - however, I cannot for the life of me remember what the solution was.

[...]

Unfortunately this cannot be the case; if I send the message as text instead of HTML everything works. This rules out the SMTP server as it is relaying the non-HTML messages ok.
[...]

Patrick.O.Ige

Martins you should be able to get some more info here at:-
http://www.systemwebmail.com/
Hope that helps
Patrick

"Martin Robins" <martin at orpheus-solutions dot co dot uk> wrote in message Unfortunately this cannot be the case; if I send the message as text instead of HTML everything works. This rules out the SMTP server as it is relaying the non-HTML messages ok.
[...]

Thanks Patrick; but as I stated in my original message, I have already been through all of the options on that site. These fixes all seem to apply to errors with the SmtpServer configuration.

My problem is more specific; the error only occurs when I am sending a message as HTML - if I send text all is well.

Martin.

[...]

Michael D. Ober

Do you have an anti-virus programs running? If so, it may be configured to
block HTML messages.

Mike.

"Martin Robins" <martin dot robins at technicaldirect dot co dot uk> wrote
in message Thanks Patrick; but as I stated in my original message, I have already been